Are we destroying our Gear Sets by pulling out snag?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Are we destroying our Gear Sets by pulling out snag?

Post by SSS » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:31 pm

You know, 20-65lb braid, you're snagged, you lock your drag and pull out a damn tree from the bottom of the lake. Then your gears become noisy and "grindy". Especially on aluminum micro gear sets.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Are we destroying our Gear Sets by pulling out snag?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 pm

I always pull those snags loose with a gloved hand and the line wrapped around that hand. If you lock down the drag with 50-65# braid on a reel with aluminum gears and haul in a stump, you pretty much deserve a damaged gear set imho.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:47 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 pm
I always pull those snags loose with a gloved hand and the line wrapped around that hand. If you lock down the drag with 50-65# braid on a reel with aluminum gears and haul in a stump, you pretty much deserve a damaged gear set imho.
That is what i've been telling to myself the last season. Even with 20lb fluoro you're destroying the gears.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:59 pm

Always hold the spool or better again wrap the line around a gloved hand...

Without doubt its transfer of energy straight to that point where the pinion meets the main gears and something has to give...

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:40 am

I always place my thumb on the spool in hopes that this saves strain on the drive train and gears. In the future I'll try and wrap my line around something else and try to pull out lure and or break line.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:27 am

lifeofRiley wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:39 am
I always place my thumb on the spool in hopes that this saves strain on the drive train and gears. In the future I'll try and wrap my line around something else and try to pull out lure and\or break line.
i dont think placing your thumb does anything because that is all i have been doing.

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:21 am

Never pull from the reel or rod, take the line pull it tight and then ping it like shooting an arrow, usually the lure jumps out of the snag.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:18 am

Wrap mine around needle nose pliers and pull. Never any body parts, gloved or not. Thats quite a risk.
<")))><{

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:27 am

I carry a cutoff wooden dowel to wrap the braid around. Pulling snags loose from a locked down spool or thumbing the spool just cause braid dig ins & subsequent breakage.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:28 am

I keep a wooden dowel in the boat just for these occasions. Works great.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:09 am

Patex wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:21 am
Never pull from the reel or rod, take the line pull it tight and then ping it like shooting an arrow, usually the lure jumps out of the snag.
Yup, i do that, but if it doesn't come out, i was just placing my thumb on the spool and pull. No more, tho.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:55 am

Safety first. Wrapping line around your hand is risky, especially in wind or current. If you know you can break it or bend a point then so be it but otherwise not a good idea. As for using the reel, if you must, just point the tip straight to snag and slowly torque into the pull. You'll know before you pull too hard because the drag will tell you. Don't use your thumb, if the drag can handle it, the reel can handle it. In my opinion. And as for the tension twang I love that trick which at times works like magic with braid. Takes timing and practice, I'm 50/50 nailing it myself, at best, but always worth a try.
PEACE

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:13 pm

I normally turn my hat backwards first then wrap the line around my biceps and flex and that does the trick. I saw Stallone do that in “Over The Top”.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:33 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:13 pm
I normally turn my hat backwards first then wrap the line around my biceps and flex and that does the trick. I saw Stallone do that in “Over The Top”.
:lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:50 am

The short wooden dowel works best, what I keep around. To make sure there is no damage or rod/reel breaks I also normally back my drag way off too before pulling snags. I fish a river that is extremely swift in spots so I have to take extra precaution, especially with lighter powered spinning rods. I normally totally disengage the reel or totally back the drag off and do all the snag pulling by dowel or just hand.