Bass Fishing Bycatches

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bass Fishing Bycatches

Post by poisonokie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:41 am

What's the craziest thing you've pulled out if the water while bass fishing? What's the wildest thing you've had to do to land a bass? I know I've had some surprises myself. Here's one from yesterday:

I was using the Mikey to try and snag the iLoud that snapped off from a backlash (the leader broke at both knots, which is crazy on its own...) and got hit by that little guy right before the Mikey made it to the other lure. Still managed to snag it along with a bunch of algae and land the bass. Not that bad! 8-)
This is the way.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bass Fishing Bycatches

Post by toddmc » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:23 am

Lake Alamo is a small Arizona lake in the middle of nowhere. It was famous for 100 fish days in the 80's. The 4" ringworm was the overwhelming bait of choice there during that time. I fished my first club tournament there in 1988. I broke off a nice fish on a a rock pile fishing a motor oil with chartreuse flake and tail ringworm. This was a rare secret color that was popular on the CA Delta. I was the only one that I knew that had that color. I had gone through all that I had the previous day. My hook was also a rare Owner hook that no one else had at the time.
The next day, the fishing just wasn't as good with other color ringworms. We went back to the rock pile. I caught that fish that I broke off fish with my Owner hook and motor oil ringworm still in its mouth. I tied it back on and caught a solid fish on my next cast that helped me do well in the tournament.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:46 am

toddmc wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:23 am
Lake Alamo is a small Arizona lake in the middle of nowhere. It was famous for 100 fish days in the 80's. The 4" ringworm was the overwhelming bait of choice there during that time. I fished my first club tournament there in 1988. I broke off a nice fish on a a rock pile fishing a motor oil with chartreuse flake and tail ringworm. This was a rare secret color that was popular on the CA Delta. I was the only one that I knew that had that color. I had gone through all that I had the previous day. My hook was also a rare Owner hook that no one else had at the time.
The next day, the fishing just wasn't as good with other color ringworms. We went back to the rock pile. I caught that fish that I broke off fish with my Owner hook and motor oil ringworm still in its mouth. I tied it back on and caught a solid fish on my next cast that helped me do well in the tournament.
it's crazy that things like this happen hahaha. i guess when you fish enough anything is bound to happen!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:44 pm

toddmc wrote:
That's a good one! I'm pretty sure I've caught the same fish twice, and while I've never gotten my own hook/bait back like that, I did once snag the loop of a pretied snell a bass had broken off and wound up landing it with the rusty hook embedded in its lip.

Hopefully you can see my crankbait snagged into that smell in this picture:

This is the way.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:09 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:44 pm
toddmc wrote:
That's a good one! I'm pretty sure I've caught the same fish twice, and while I've never gotten my own hook/bait back like that, I did once snag the loop of a pretied snell a bass had broken off and wound up landing it with the rusty hook embedded in its lip.

Hopefully you can see my crankbait snagged into that smell in this picture:

That's funny. I accidentally snagged a small chartreuse squarebill attatched to a piece of line this week in the golf course pond behind the house. The hooks were really rusted. I snagged the heavy line it was attatched to with my swimjig. It has been stuck in the grass a while.
The Copper Canyon Cove is a famous partying/rock diving cove on Lake Havasu. It has been featured on MTV Spring Break. It's a zoo, but actually has good fish in it. I caught a g-string next to a cliff that the kids get naked and jump off of. I would have rather caught what was in them. :lol:

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:46 pm

I snagged a giant pair of underwear at a local reservoir, not sure how the women lost them since they could have
netted a whale...

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed May 01, 2019 7:36 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:46 pm
I snagged a giant pair of underwear at a local reservoir, not sure how the women lost them since they could have
netted a whale...
You should have saved them as a replacement net, in case yours gets a hole in it. If they can hold her, they can hold a true giant! :D
Last edited by toddmc on Tue May 07, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:59 pm

Big Bullhead? on a spinnerbait

This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:07 pm

Nice fish. I've caught lots of cats over the years while bass fishing with plastic worms, cranks and spinnerbaits.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:08 pm

I've also snagged an previously broken off fish - smallie. Jerkbait got tangled up in the leader that was attached to a hook - still in her mouth.
Watched my father in law quickly pull his jerkbait up from one side of the boat, turn around and quickly dump it back in the water on the opposite side of the boat - trying to clear it from debris. As soon as that bait hit the water, a 7 lb brown trout smacked the crap out of it. Very interesting, and quite the fight. She snatched it and made a long run, while we trying to figure out what the heck just happened.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:46 pm

Caught this one on a trout spoon crank last weekend

And this one on a scaled down double fluke rig using Crosstail shads, #2 Gammie G Lock hooks, 10# braid to 8# leaders on a ML/F spinning rod and 2500 reel a few years ago

This is the way.

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:26 am

This happened some years ago when I was fishing a remote part of the Northern Territory that is renowned for its fishing here in Australia.

I was casting into an unlikely patch of shallow water from the shore just for the heck of it, and to my surprise the Sasuke 105 was followed and eventually engulfed by this 60cm gold spotted cod when the lure was just about to break the surface. The cod quickly ducked under a reef shelf and cut me off. After that, I re-tied my leader and ventured further along the shore. Half an hour later on my way back, I decided to hop the Gulp shrimp in front of that reef just to see if there was still something hiding there, the same greedy cod rushed out and slammed the lure. When I winched it out of the water, i saw my Gulp as well the Sasuke firmly lodged in its mouth. The story didn't end well for the cod though - I cooked the it for dinner, it fed 4 hungry medical students.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:24 am

I caught a 2-3# catfish on a weightless fluke. I thought I had a monster bass on the way it fought, I was disappointed to say the least...

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:17 am

A few weeks ago I was fishing a black ned rig, I took a cast and set the hook and my line broke at the knot, I retied
and continued down the bank.

I went back to that same spot about 20 mins later and took a cast into the same spot and caught that same fish and got
my lure back :mrgreen:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:59 am

These are my 2 strangest bonus fish.

This came on a ned rig. The little Volkey 682L handled it like a champ.
This guy t boned a flapping hog on a shakey head as I brought it out from under a dock and to the boat for another cast. That was fun fight right beside the boat. I thought my rod was going to break. It was one of those walmart exclusive daiwa jupiter rods with a last gen bps pro qualifier.