(SUL) Super Ultra Light?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: (SUL) Super Ultra Light?

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:21 am

The UL Teton did not do too well with Trout Magnets in my experience. I was even using the lager Trout Slayers and the rod would not load very well for me. With the little float, it weighs in just a bit over 1/16oz:

In general, I am not loving the Teton for micro jigs and plastics. I feel like even with a wacky rigged trout worm, I am not getting consistent hooksets with it as compared to the very respectable ratio I am getting with spinners, spoons, and micro cranks.

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:32 am

I know a lot of people love the litte trout jig, however I find the hook the problem, as I like even an UL jig to have a bigger gap. My Kuying Teton 522 does well with nymphs, a small 1/32 oz jig with the Barbarian hook (comaritivly huge gape) and even Brewers slider grubs. I also cast with a sliding strike indicator, excuse me, a bobber/float.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:18 pm

waterone wrote:I know a lot of people love the litte trout jig, however I find the hook the problem, as I like even an UL jig to have a bigger gap.
Yes, I now only use them for panfish, perch, and in very small streams where a 1lb bass is a monster. I have caught a few smallies in the 1-2lb range on them, but it is not a great feeling the the hooks are always bent a little after the fight is over.

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:17 am

Houndfish wrote: In general, I am not loving the Teton for micro jigs and plastics. I feel like even with a wacky rigged trout worm, I am not getting consistent hooksets with it as compared to the very respectable ratio I am getting with spinners, spoons, and micro cranks.
I had the same poor hook up issue with single hook jigs with the teton. This is typical of a tubular rod to have better hook up ratio with trebles than with single hooks. Since I fish mainly single hooks I was very frustrated at times which lead me to bass taper rods and particularly solid tip rods. The solid tip rods have a tremendous hook up ratio with single hook jigs.

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:59 am

Hay all ! Got my Teton 522 SUL today . As all most everyone that has one has stated it is a lot of rod for the money . I am out of 6# S832 so spooled it with 4# copolymer . 0.18mm Cast 1/8 oz. head and small 2 " bate 15 - 20 yd with ease . I think it will do better with braid . I am hoping for some above freezing weather next week and will get my BFS out on the water . With all the cold weather we have had I do not expect much from the fishing but I will try to find some yellow perch and pickerel . Good fishing to all !!! PS I was using a Alphas Air .

Dominikk85
Angler
Angler

Post by Dominikk85 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Got the 522 today.that rod is really thin.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:44 am

I also interested to order 522 SUL. Very cheap rod. I hope that’s ease way to figure out would real BFS fishing is for me. I don’t have BFS reel, only sv tw Zillion with MOMO’s 7g spool. If I like BFS then I have to buy BFS reel.

nstd
Angler
Angler

Post by nstd » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:54 am

I love mine. use it to fish bass in local ponds. I catch fish when no one else is because I'm able throw micro lures. the lowest i'm able to throw is the 1/200 tm jighead with tm body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj6UWj-ai-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcdzlt8eqJA&t=19s

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:08 am

FedEx courier recently brought my rod to my workplace. I of course was keen to see what I got and opened parcel. Rod seems very fun and recommendation of lure weight seems right. I’m happy that I purchased this rod. Shimano Trout one, which my friend purchased, seems a little lighter, but it was also nearly 4x more expensive than Kuying. But Kuying is still light. But maybe with Kuying it’s not absolutely needed to buy lighter reel than I currently have (sv tw Zillion with finesse spool).

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Thu May 02, 2019 6:07 am

Houndfish wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:21 am
The UL Teton did not do too well with Trout Magnets in my experience. I was even using the lager Trout Slayers and the rod would not load very well for me. With the little float, it weighs in just a bit over 1/16oz:

In general, I am not loving the Teton for micro jigs and plastics. I feel like even with a wacky rigged trout worm, I am not getting consistent hooksets with it as compared to the very respectable ratio I am getting with spinners, spoons, and micro cranks.
I am pretty sure I made a review for this rod a long time ago and the assessment was that it was good at fishing moving baits that didn't necessarily require much "Feel" and "backbone" to set a hook.........jigs and plastics......not so much.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu May 02, 2019 1:08 pm

earthworm77 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:07 am
I am pretty sure I made a review for this rod a long time ago and the assessment was that it was good at fishing moving baits that didn't necessarily require much "Feel" and "backbone" to set a hook.........jigs and plastics......not so much.
I had the Teton out yesterday fishing a shallow river for stocked trout. I was very surprised at how much feedback I was getting from my spoons hitting rocks and other hard cover. I was able to fish deeper pools just off the bottom pretty easily by feeling the impacts as I slowed it down. The rod also took an enormous amount of abuse, I forgot my net and a few of the larger fish had the rod about bent double with the tip way way too high in the air as I struggled to get my hand on the thrashing trout.

I still want to find a rod that will let me fish micro jigs and small worms, I know I would have caught more trout and lost less spoons yesterday if I had been able to drift a small worm up under cover instead of trying to do it with a spoon.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu May 02, 2019 1:26 pm

I used to go as much power as my 2 lbs test lines can bear. Recently, I've had a change of heart and am actually going more towards SUL/XUL. I hope to post a thread on that once I find the time. Both approach, and the in between approach all work. However, I find that there are certain advantages to SUL/XUL that are winning me over.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:27 am

Yesterday I put Quantum Enerpy PT Burner to SUL Kuying Teton, just because Quantum is most compact baitcaster that I currently have (It's really low profile reel vs. Daiwa's). Heck, that reel was heavy :-) It is 7.8 oz. My idea was to put my sv tw Zillion (with BFS spool) to SUL Kuying Teton for testing would BFS be for me. But now I'm thinking would that combo give any information. Or should I instantly buy ct Alphas (6.1 oz). Or is even Alphas way too heavy, would Aldebaran BFS (4.6 oz) be only solution... ct Steez I concider too expensive.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:37 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:27 am
Yesterday I put Quantum Enerpy PT Burner to SUL Kuying Teton, just because Quantum is most compact baitcaster that I currently have (It's really low profile reel vs. Daiwa's). Heck, that reel was heavy :-) It is 7.8 oz. My idea was to put my sv tw Zillion (with BFS spool) to SUL Kuying Teton for testing would BFS be for me. But now I'm thinking would that combo give any information. Or should I instantly buy ct Alphas (6.1 oz). Or is even Alphas way too heavy, would Aldebaran BFS (4.6 oz) be only solution... ct Steez I concider too expensive.
Which BFS spool is going in your Zillion? I enjoy using mine for BFS, but I also don't like having my Zillion reserved for only super finesse duty. I honestly still consider and wish I had bought a full on BFS reel, like the Aldebaran BFS or Alphas AIR. The Alphas CT SV is a bit deep spooled to use for a SUL, even though the spool is light and I am sure it WOULD work, it just fits more ML duty for the reel's design...

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri May 03, 2019 6:11 am

I have MOMO's honeycomb which weights something 7 g and it is spooled with 0.06 mm Spiderwire. It casts well something 4 g with the rods I have tested so far. I think I can go to much lighter lures with Teton SUL with MOMO's - if that spool with a little and fixed inductor works on casts like that. I have also Ray’s original DIY spool which is a little heavier but it has sv type inductor. But I think MOMO’s will work better than Ray’s original DIY.

Alphas 70 has light (enough?) spool and to put it only that amount of line that really is needed, I concider that would work in BFS. And if it's not light enough, then there's available that a little lighter Daiwa spool. And probably in a (near?) future somebody is going to make BFS spool for this size also...Maybe it would be a king of BFS (in that case on ct Steez of course)?