CFX Carbon Grips

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

CFX Carbon Grips

Post by craigrbns » Mon May 27, 2019 3:59 pm

All,

It's been a long time since I've been on the forum, but I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the CFX carbon fiber grips. I have decided I want to use their grips on a new build.

How do the grips hold up over time? Any fraying or wear issues? Are you guys using them as is, or are you finishing over the top with epoxy/permagloss to improve durability? I'd prefer to not epoxy over them since I like the way they feel now, but I want to make sure they don't wear and force me to epoxy over them once they are on the rod.

Thanks in advance!!! - Craig

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: CFX Carbon Grips

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:42 pm

They hold up extremely well thus far. My latest build has the Forecast carbon grip, and I think I prefer it. It's not as slick / smooth (somewhat textured) , and has better ergonomics imo. The CFX is a little fat, but I also have small hands. The Forecast is more grippy for lack of better term, where as the CFX is not. Both seem to be well constructed.... I don't have much time with the Forecast, so time will tell. My only complaint is that when the temp really starts dipping, these grips are pretty cold to hold in the bare hand. Mine are all left unfinished. I prefer the naked look and feel. Who doesn't!?

craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by craigrbns » Tue May 28, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks for the response! I think Im going to talk myself into trying them as they come from CFX and see what happens!

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed May 29, 2019 2:54 am

Hi!

I've done dozens of rods with CFX grips. They are great quality. Forecast is not.
It isn't slippery if you left it "raw" surface. It's very durable even w/o coating.
Lightest of all grip material.

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:50 pm

My 130 lb wife can a stand on one of the full length grips wirh no damage.

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:25 pm

spoonplugger1 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:50 pm
My 130 lb wife can a stand on one of the full length grips wirh no damage.
Was this determined accidentally or on purpose? ;)

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:04 pm

On purpose, she has stepped on the same grip many times for customers, since there is no blank or dowel in the grip, I'm sure sooner , or later it will fail. If you've been pouring your own, it's not the same foam, it has the strength of 18 lb. poured foam, but weighs very close to poured 6 lb. foam.