The smallest ultralight spinning reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tujevea
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

The smallest ultralight spinning reel?

Post by Tujevea » Thu May 30, 2019 3:25 am

Does anyone know who makes the smallest QUALITY ultralight spinning reel https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-ult ... ning-reel/ ? I am looking for a tiny, well built reel, with a smooth drag. So many of the tiny spinning reels are crap. I would like to find one that is under 5 ounces. Not sure if this is possible though.. Anyone have any info?
Last edited by Tujevea on Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The smallest ultralight spinning reel?

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu May 30, 2019 11:54 am

I was looking for the same last year and after much investigation was going to pull the trigger on the CI4 Soare.
Glad I did not as the 1000 stradics I already had fit the need nicely.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Thu May 30, 2019 12:25 pm

Yeah, the CI4+ Soare looks to be pretty much the only quality 500 size reel out there any more, but its spool capacity leaves a lot to be desired compared to a 1000 size reel. Only others under 1000 size seem to be ice fishing reels, of which none seem to really be worth it performance-wise (tiny spools, limited drag), or they're still 5+ oz despite their tiny size, so you might as well go with a 1000 size. I tried looking in this same non-existent segment a couple months ago, and just decided that 1000 size reels are small/light enough for my purposes. I went with a Daiwa Tatula LT 1000, which comes in at 5.8 ounces, and I couldn't be happier. Ballistic LT 1000 is also 5.8 oz if you want magseal for saltwater, or Stradic CI4+ 1000 at 5.6 oz are also good choices. If those 3 options are too spendy, not sure you're going to find anything remotely close to what you're looking for unfortunately, as you're basically stuck with ice fishing reels or 1000 sized reels that are well over 5oz.
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Fri May 31, 2019 8:04 am

Tujevea wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:25 am
Does anyone know who makes the smallest QUALITY ultralight spinning reel? I am looking for a tiny, well built reel, with a smooth drag. So many of the tiny spinning reels are crap. I would like to find one that is under 5 ounces. Not sure if this is possible though.. Anyone have any info?
What reels have you tried out?

gumbygold
Angler
Angler

Post by gumbygold » Fri May 31, 2019 8:18 am

I went with the Ci4 1000 a few years ago but now favor my Tatula LT 1000. Smoother feel and slightly better drag IMO. You can't go wrong with either.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:41 pm

It really depends. I am running 3 CI4 Stradic 1000's and a Soare 1000 but I also have a couple of Sahara 500's.
I was going to shell out the coin for the Soare 500 but I stopped short as I rationalized that it likely wouldn't do anything these reels already do in my Florida fishing.

I have a place in NC too and I keep stuff at my cabin, I've opted for Tica SB500's and 800's for UL and they are good inexpensive reels. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get something serviceable.