19 Certate LT or JDM Exist

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

19 Certate LT or JDM Exist

Post by scrapiron » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:58 am

Not sure how many people have the new Certate... but the JDM Exist (17 version I think) is about $50 cheaper right now. I'll be using the reels for finesse freshwater as well as inshore (speckled trout, maybe a red or two). Thinking about upgrading from the Luvias.

Two questions:
1. Any reason to get one over the other?
2. Enough of an upgrade over the Luvias?

Thanks-
Last edited by scrapiron on Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 19 Certate LT or JDM Exist

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:12 pm

scrapiron wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:58 am
Not sure how many people have the new Certate... but the JDB Exist (17 version I think) is about $50 cheaper right now. I'll be using the reels for finesse freshwater as well as inshore (speckled trout, maybe a red or two). Thinking about upgrading from the Luvias.

Two questions:
1. Any reason to get one over the other?
2. Enough of an upgrade over the Luvias?

Thanks-
These are both amazing reels and both would be a substantial upgrade over the Luvias.
The Exist you are referencing is considered the '15 Exist and as a proud owner of one, have nothing but great things to say about it.
With that said, given the choice and the small price difference, I would opt for the 19 Certate. Primary reason is the Certate's use of the Monocoque body, which brings several benifits to the table.
I've been looking at the 19 Certate and the 18 Exist which share so many attributes I am still trying to figure out the differences between those two reels and how on earth there is such a price difference.

I am sure there are different perspectives and would be interested to hear about them.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:44 am

There are several key differences between Certate LT and Exist LT. They also share some key similarities. The frame is built from the same tooling, but the Exist LT features a magnesium body and the Certate LT is aluminum. That creates a significant price differential and also shaves off quite a bit of weight for Exist LT. The handles are also different with the Exist LT being lighter. Exist LT features a couple additional Magsealed bearings. They share similar gears and drag systems. One additional benefit of the US version only of Exist LT is the amazing lifetime warranty and service package. Our shop is Exist certified and Daiwa has gone to great lengths to make sure US Exist LT owners are well taken care of should any issues arise. I've been fishing Exist LT since it was released and it is without a doubt the finest spinning reel I've had the pleasure to fish. I will be putting in time with Certate LT as well, but my initial impression is very positive.

If you haven't read up on Exist LT at the Daiwa website, it's worth a look. Link below:

Daiwa Exist LT
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:49 am

Thanks Gary. If the Exist is Mg, then I'll pass due to spending about 50% doing inshore fishing.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:42 am

scrapiron wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:49 am
Thanks Gary. If the Exist is Mg, then I'll pass due to spending about 50% doing inshore fishing.
You're welcome, but keep in mind that Exist LT is salt safe. The advanced paint/coating is extremely difficult to scratch and is also protected inside of the reel... Magsealed bearings are also a bonus in keeping out the salt. Magnesium framed reels are an issue if the material itself gets exposed to the elements or saltwater.

If you do go Certate LT, I'd suggest the 3000-XH for inshore. I'd be glad to get you set up with the reel of your choice. You'll be very happy with either Exist LT or Certate LT.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:57 am

I just ordered a Certate LT 3000-CXH, I'm going to put it to work on smaller Salmon species with 6 & 8lb line. I'll follow up down the road with my take on it.

Kurt

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:09 am

Kurt- how’s the Certate doing? What rod did you pair it up with?

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:32 pm

I caught a few small Salmon on the Certate Sunday and all I have to say is wow that is an amazing reel, its as smooth and easy to crank while working a fish as it is without, I had to remove some of the grease from the drag to free it it up a bit for fast running fish on light line (faster it spins the tighter it gets condition) common with greased felt washers no matter who makes the reel.
Truly an amazing reel, every bit as smooth and refined as the Exist's and Stella FJ that I have handled.
I'm selling off reels right now to buy another that's what I think of it... it is that good =D>

Kurt

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:07 pm

Caught a bunch more on the Certate today and it's still butter smooth :D

Kurt

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:56 am

Kurt L wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:07 pm
Caught a bunch more on the Certate today and it's still butter smooth :D

Kurt
Based on my experience with 5 certates your reel will stay butter smooth.

basser100
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basser100 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Does the entire lineup of Certate LT reels use carbon fiber drags?