Alphas air stream custom

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas air stream custom

Post by poisonokie » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:06 am

Hm, the spool costs more than the handle.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:26 am

I swapped the gears with the SV 5.8's and even though the teeth are bigger it's still ultra smooth and IMO better for UL baits. I think the knock I felt under load which I mentioned in a maintenance forum post was simply due to a lack of grease. I didn't weigh the gear sets, but the 5.8's seemed a little heavier. The stock main gear is lighter in color and appears to be a different alloy.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon May 13, 2019 7:29 pm

These feisty buggers were about the best I could manage during my last 2 hour stint. With brakes set to max and a fair amount of spool tension I was casting a 2 gram balsa crank (Rapala Original Floater 03) a good 30' into a 10 mph breeze. The spool tension was critical to avoid backlash, but once I got it dialed in I was getting better distance anyway.
This is the way.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:08 am

Nice looking slabs!

I had an sv105 5.8 ratio and it was super smooth as well, complete butter when under load with small cranks. I'll have to throw one of my 03 original floaters on my scale to see what the actual weight is.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue May 14, 2019 12:07 pm

Thanks! The one on the bottom I think is a Green Sunfish in spawn mode. It sure has a lot of purple. Next time I'll take my big bait rod and Ganterel in Spawn Gill and see if I get a big girl to bite. That pond is starting to get a lot of slop on it, though, so she'll have to be in the right spot. It has a lot of Nutria Rats (big, brown, swamp rat looking rodents) and after this morning's success with a LiveTarget Field Mouse at a different spot, I may have to go pick up one of the big 1oz ones in brown, tie it on to my new favorite combo and take that out there, too.
This is the way.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:59 am

I'm liking my ASC and have it mounted on a 5' UL Tsurinoya Dragon rod and spooled with 8# PowerPro Braid

Last edited by Edward78 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bkinsman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bkinsman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:32 pm

Hi!!!

Just read the whole thread from start the finish. New to BFS.
I’ve got a Daiwa Wise Stream 4’5” on the way and am currently tossing up between the Daiwa ASC or a Shimano Conquest bfs. I love the ASC (I’m a Daiwa fanboy) but am a bit concerned about line capacity and saltwater intrusion.
It’ll be used for trout, aus bass & carp in the fresh and hopefully some bream and other light duties in the salt..
Just while writing this I feel that the Shimano is gonna be more a bit more suitable, anyone want share their opinion on it with me?

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:00 am

Bkinsman wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:32 pm
Hi!!!

I’ve got a Daiwa Wise Stream 4’5” on the way and am currently tossing up between the Daiwa ASC or a Shimano Conquest bfs. I love the ASC (I’m a Daiwa fanboy) but am a bit concerned about line capacity and saltwater intrusion.
It’ll be used for trout, aus bass & carp in the fresh and hopefully some bream and other light duties in the salt..
Just while writing this I feel that the Shimano is gonna be more a bit more suitable, anyone want share their opinion on it with me?
ASC is rated freshwater only if that makes any difference for you.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:20 am

I feel BFS reels are better in hand/more balanced with a UL rod when the reel is light, so I'd say go the Alphas, although perhaps consider the Alphas Air or CT instead of the Silver Creek.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:57 am

Bkinsman wrote:
Hi!!!

The regular alphas air was designed to do exactly what you're looking to do. I would go that route personally.
This is the way.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:04 am

Bkinsman wrote:
Hi!!!

I love Daiwa as well and I have the ASC, Alphas Air, and the SS Air but I feel the Shimano Scorpion BFS would be your best bet, with its aluminum frame I feel its well suited for the Salt and the Shimano's Brakes and audible drag are awesome

Bkinsman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bkinsman » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:00 pm

found a Aldebaren BFS XG brand new in the box on locally for $290 AUD so will start with that (not a bad first BFS reel if you ask me) only concern is the 8:1 gear ratio. Can't find much info online about modding this (only a post about an older model that a guy modded), is it possible?
For what I want this for its not like I'm gonna be cranking a lure in from 50m way so might just need to work it a bit more delicately..

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:59 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm
It may be of interest to some: The Pixy Ize spool fits my Alphas Air Stream Custom, but the DIY spool did not.
Have you used the Pixy i'ze spool in the air stream custom?

If so did it perform the same as in a Pixy?

Thanks

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:17 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:59 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm
It may be of interest to some: The Pixy Ize spool fits my Alphas Air Stream Custom, but the DIY spool did not.
Have you used the Pixy i'ze spool in the air stream custom?

If so did it perform the same as in a Pixy?

Thanks
Only briefly and it performed nicely as in my PX68: good control overall and stable casting with good handling of light lures when using the right rod. Distance is also good.. I do prefer the ASC standard spool for the very low weight stuff.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:50 am

Bkinsman wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:00 pm
found a Aldebaren BFS XG brand new in the box on locally for $290 AUD so will start with that (not a bad first BFS reel if you ask me) only concern is the 8:1 gear ratio. Can't find much info online about modding this (only a post about an older model that a guy modded), is it possible?
For what I want this for its not like I'm gonna be cranking a lure in from 50m way so might just need to work it a bit more delicately..
I have an SS Air that is 8.1 gear ratio. 8.1 gears are too fast for most moving baits, so I put 6.3 gears in it to slow it down. I'm not big on Shimano knowledge, but I'm almost certain that the 6.2 gears from the standard Aldebaran model of the same year will work. You will likely also have to have the metal drag plate that sits on top of the friction drag washer(called the "key washer"). For some reason, Shimano reels tend to have that matched to the ratio of each gear set, and they generally dont swap between different gear ratios of the the same models.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.