Any recommendations lures for crappies from bank?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Any recommendations lures for crappies from bank?

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:23 am

I’m really into crappie right now. I got a whole bunch of plastic with various jig head size. In fact this whole year, I only bought stuffs for crappies no bass. I have a decent record on crappies but never once catch them on Lures. I have tried some Rapala HJ06, countdown, bisty minnow, snap bean.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Any recommendations lures for crappies from bank?

Post by Alphahawk » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:45 am

I fish for crappie from the bank a lot. I catch a ton of crappie using Trout Magnet. It serves me extremely well. If you don't want to use a Trout Magnet then I suggest using some sort of micro plastic. Small baits catch a lot of fish. Here is one video of me using the Trout Magnet off the bank to catch all the crappie I want....many days catchting between 50-100 fish. It works very well.

Regards

https://youtu.be/L9guYE9kcCU

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:30 am

The mini jig is still the best in my opinion because of the way it darts. It has influenced most of the other micro plastics. The supposed inventor of the mini jig is a famous legendary outdoor writer named "Crappie John" Beale. I came across John on Lake Henshaw around 1983. He could be seen on most of our small SoCal reservoirs slaying the crappie on his bobber rig (float and fly style) in the 1980's and 90's. He taught me how to fish the rig the first time that I met him on Lake Henshaw. The crappie really like the mini jig suspended in their face, which is what the bobber rig does. It also allows you to cast it further from shore.
The mini jig is also an amazing trout lure without the bobber. I use it on an ultralight with 2lb. test. I have caught trout up to 7lbs. on mini jig without the bobber.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:49 pm

IMG_3121.jpg
IMG_3121.jpg (39.82 KiB) Viewed 8767 times

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:16 am

toddmc wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:30 am
The mini jig is still the best in my opinion because of the way it darts. It has influenced most of the other micro plastics. The supposed inventor of the mini jig is a famous legendary outdoor writer named "Crappie John" Beale. I came across John on Lake Henshaw around 1983. He could be seen on most of our small SoCal reservoirs slaying the crappie on his bobber rig (float and fly style) in the 1980's and 90's. He taught me how to fish the rig the first time that I met him on Lake Henshaw. The crappie really like the mini jig suspended in their face, which is what the bobber rig does. It also allows you to cast it further from shore.
The mini jig is also an amazing trout lure without the bobber. I use it on an ultralight with 2lb. test. I have caught trout up to 7lbs. on mini jig without the bobber.
Do you still fish at Lake henshaw? 2 years ago I tried drifting for crappies there and only got one. I’ve heard there are some big one 2lbs and up over there.
When you guy talking about micro and mini jig, you mean lightest jig with smaller plastic than regular crappies plastic, correct?
My gears is capable of 1/32oz jig head, lighter than that I doubt I would get any distance at all. I mostly bank fishing.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:35 am

I haven't fished Henshaw since the 80's. It was unbelievable for big crappie and numbers back then, but like any good crappie fishery, the word gets out quick and the meat fishermen kill it in a hurry. Vail and Silverwood used to have numbers and quality at the same time.
I like 1/32 ounce head with the smallest tube bait. You can cast a tube that size real well with the right ultralight rod and reel and 2-3 pound mono line. A lot of the guys used Kencor glass ultralight rods back in the day. I prefer graphite. Most people will go to a longer noodle/float and fly style rod when using a longer leader (4 foot or more) on the bobber rig.
The bobber rig is just using a bobber with your mini jig suspended as far down as you think the fish are. You twitch your rod tip to get the bobber and jig to move. You can also use the drag and stop method. Crappie John was all about finding the right cadence with the jig. He loved to teach people how to do it. The lake bait shops were full of his mini jigs, and his shoreline disciples would run up to buy them after his lessons. 8-)

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:28 am

Mepps #1 size dressed Black Fury inline spinners work well.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:16 pm

Don't underestimate the ability of large crappie to inhale normal "bass" size baits ... I've caught them on full size Mann's Minus 1 crankbaits and 5" flukes. Their mouths are quite capable of opening very wide and they can be aggressive when the feedbag is on. I've gotten most of my better ones after dusk and into the dark.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:44 pm

uljersey wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:16 pm
Don't underestimate the ability of large crappie to inhale normal "bass" size baits ... I've caught them on full size Mann's Minus 1 crankbaits and 5" flukes. Their mouths are quite capable of opening very wide and they can be aggressive when the feedbag is on. I've gotten most of my better ones after dusk and into the dark.
I know a lot of ppl I know caught them on small jerk bait, ned rig, 3-4” swimbait, even small topwater lures, me, on the other hand, never have any luck whatsoever, the best I can do was 2 bluegill on huskyjerk 08. You are right about dusk to dark, i’d been slaying them this couple day 13-14” right before sunset mostly on either 1 or 1.5 gram jig head and 1.5” paddle tail swimbait (slider grub)

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:44 pm
uljersey wrote:
I know a lot of ppl I know caught them on small jerk bait, ned rig, 3-4” swimbait, even small topwater lures, me, on the other hand, never have any luck whatsoever, the best I can do was 2 bluegill on huskyjerk 08. You are right about dusk to dark, i’d been slaying them this couple day 13-14” right before sunset mostly on either 1 or 1.5 gram jig head and 1.5” paddle tail swimbait (slider grub)
Speak of the devil. I caught a nice one yesterday on the popper.
Lake Perris 6-13-19.JPG
Lake Perris 6-13-19.JPG (26.6 KiB) Viewed 8511 times

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:01 pm

Biggest crappies have come on either smaller 1/8 rattle traps or micro jigs with 1” trout craw plastics

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Craigthor wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:01 pm
Biggest crappies have come on either smaller 1/8 rattle traps or micro jigs with 1” trout craw plastics
Micro jig? sound great, I think I have some 1/16jig. The other days tried snap bean and bisty minnow for nada switch to Charlie brewer slider grub and started getting some.
How often crappies hit bottom lure? Mine almost all the time hit on the drop when hopping never on sit still.
11126C28-A7C5-4973-AD2F-5A9BD23C2D64.jpeg
11126C28-A7C5-4973-AD2F-5A9BD23C2D64.jpeg (145.11 KiB) Viewed 8496 times

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 pm

toddmc wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:00 pm
Just_Bass wrote:
uljersey wrote:
Lake Perris 6-13-19.JPG
Nice, by marina? I used to live 5 mins away from Lake Perris, but don’t have a lot of luck there so I moved to Canyon Lake.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 pm
toddmc wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:00 pm
Just_Bass wrote:
uljersey wrote:
Lake Perris 6-13-19.JPG
Nice, by marina? I used to live 5 mins away from Lake Perris, but don’t have a lot of luck there so I moved to Canyon Lake.
I caught it off of the patrol boat dock next to the patrol boat. The biologist is putting crappie in Perris trying to make it a crappie lake. The newly flooded trees will help.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:16 pm

This is the way.