First outing with the Brigand (Destroyer 19 new spinning)

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
JerryFeng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

First outing with the Brigand (Destroyer 19 new spinning)

Post by JerryFeng » Wed May 29, 2019 4:56 pm

I've been wanting a long and powerful sissy rod for a while and saw the new Destroyer 2019 spinning models, so got the Brigand before the Memorial holiday. Paired it up with 07 Stella 2500 FD, PowerPro Super8Slick V2 Onyx 15 lb and 10 lb FC leader.

Rod is a F4, fast action.Ccraftsmanship is typical you would expect from Megabass, decoration is in line with all the other North American Destroyer models. Megabass recommends fishing the Brigand with body balancer, swingheads etc.

Took it out on the lake and mainly fished Megabass Okashira head with Keitech. Sticked a few #3-#4 smallies, a #5 largie that was still prespawn/spawning, and a 3.08 crappie :D I was able to feel the Okashira touching the tip of weeds, and came off the weed, hitting some gravel, and then BAM! Brigand sticked the fish with authority, all right through the top roof, and handled the fish like a champ. I do feel 8lb lead would be too small for the rod though, it's just very powerful and is a true fast rod, takes a lot to load to the mid section so I wouldn't feel secure if I was using anything under 8lb. So maybe I should stop calling it a sissy rod.
TT pic small 01.jpg
TT pic small 01.jpg (109.48 KiB) Viewed 10853 times
TT small pic 02.jpg
TT small pic 02.jpg (114.6 KiB) Viewed 10852 times
TT small pic 03.jpg
TT small pic 03.jpg (98.29 KiB) Viewed 10852 times
Sensitivity is A, action is pure fast or even a little faster, power is A++. Does feel very slightly tip heavy but not much at all and my wrist did not get fatigue after 15 hours fishing.

Now I am going to fish more swing heads, etc.

Also very interested in the Flyssa...should be a fun rod to fish as well.

BTW the V2 Super8Slick was sweet as well.
Last edited by JerryFeng on Wed May 29, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delightful Fishing Life!

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: First outing with the Brigand (Destroyer 19 new spinning)

Post by mthao105 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:37 pm

Awesome write-up. I was looking for more info on this rod.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:57 am

Monster crappie!!

Is the Brigand an ideal Erie tube bait rod?

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks for the review. That's a sweet combo and nice catches!

What rod were you using previously?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:22 am

Nice fish and review. I really like the handle on their spinning rods. It balances great and feels nice. Those okashira’s work world wide! I caught a ton of fish in Maui last week. Went to Japan the week before and had great success. I then came home and won a bass tournament on the same head and trailer on Saturday. Don’t tell anyone though. :lol:

JerryFeng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JerryFeng » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:57 am
Monster crappie!!

I have not thrown a tube with Brigand yet. But according to Megabass, Brigand is specifically for tubing and swing head and other bottom contact techniques. From my impression, the fast action, sensitivity and the powerful mid section will be a dream for those monster brownies on Erie.
Delightful Fishing Life!

JerryFeng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JerryFeng » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:27 pm

scrapiron wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:20 pm
Thanks for the review. That's a sweet combo and nice catches!

What rod were you using previously?
For small swimbaits, I was throwing with the Huge Contact F3-610DGS, the Aaron Martens signature rod that has served me for over 11 years and still strong. It was a little short and action was slower (MF action) so I'd rather use it purely for dropshot/wacky/neko etc.

The Brigand is longer and faster and also a F4 rod, so I feel it helped me much better in sticking fish far deep away using those jigheads.
Delightful Fishing Life!

JerryFeng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JerryFeng » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:32 pm

domthewon wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:22 am
Nice fish and review. I really like the handle on their spinning rods. It balances great and feels nice. Those okashira’s work world wide! I caught a ton of fish in Maui last week. Went to Japan the week before and had great success. I then came home and won a bass tournament on the same head and trailer on Saturday. Don’t tell anyone though. :lol:
Cool! Congrats on the win :D Now the word has gotten out......

I love these handles too, just like the F3-610DGS. For such a long and meaty spinning rod, this handle design couldn't be more fit.

I hope Megabass rolls out some heavier Okashira heads, like 1/4 or 3/8. My local lake calls for deep swimbait situation (30+ ft) and some day 1/8 oz do have difficulty reaching that depth.
Delightful Fishing Life!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:27 pm

That is not a bad day at all. Nicely done, sir. Nicely done, indeed. =D>
This is the way.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:50 pm

JerryFeng wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:32 pm
domthewon wrote:

I love these handles too, just like the F3-610DGS. For such a long and meaty spinning rod, this handle design couldn't be more fit.

I hope Megabass rolls out some heavier Okashira heads, like 1/4 or 3/8. My local lake calls for deep swimbait situation (30+ ft) and some day 1/8 oz do have difficulty reaching that depth.
:lol:
I've been fishing them for some time now, and with only limited travel space I brought, and bought other baits, but they were the only jig heads I used. I really hope they make larger ones as well. All the way up to an oz. would be nice, or even a tungsten version. Megabass puts an excellent reel seat on their spinning rods.

JerryFeng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JerryFeng » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:39 pm

domthewon wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:50 pm
JerryFeng wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:32 pm
domthewon wrote:

:lol:
I've been fishing them for some time now, and with only limited travel space I brought, and bought other baits, but they were the only jig heads I used. I really hope they make larger ones as well. All the way up to an oz. would be nice, or even a tungsten version. Megabass puts an excellent reel seat on their spinning rods.
I have some old BPS Swimbait heads that looked very similar to the Okashira but have a line tie more toward the back of the head so the action is different...very little rolling action. They came in half oz but I believe these are discontinued. I got these about 10 years ago on sale $1 for 3... :lol:

Dobyns heads are fine and rolls greatly but I really don't like the bait barb on the sides...destroys thin swimbaits easily.

My dream would be Okashira 3/8 with bait spring.
Last edited by JerryFeng on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delightful Fishing Life!

JerryFeng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JerryFeng » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:44 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:27 pm
That is not a bad day at all. Nicely done, sir. Nicely done, indeed. =D>
I found myself in love with the feel Brigand brings......Over the weekend it was so hard for me to put it down even when the condition was screaming for flipping \:D/
Delightful Fishing Life!

theo
Angler
Angler

Post by theo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:46 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:57 am
Monster crappie!!

It was actually designed for that type of fishing, I throw mine on Erie, usually with braid to fluoro leader if I am fishing deep, the extra length really helps with hooksets in the big water.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:50 am

Thank you.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:53 am

Johnny A wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:50 am
Thank you.
I just ordered one.