Power Pro Super 8 Slick V2

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Uknowme
Angler
Angler

Power Pro Super 8 Slick V2

Post by Uknowme » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:12 pm

Has not been out very long but has anyone tried the new Super Slick V2 yet?

Uknowme
Angler
Angler

Re: Power Pro Super 8 Slick V2

Post by Uknowme » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:39 pm

Well it seems a hundred or so people are also curious about this line. I came across this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3WpDtdga8k

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:03 pm

I have it and I like it..
I love it actually but one thing about it is I find myself wanting to change out all my old stuff for this. I still like the 832 but there is just something about this line that is a notch above. I have the smoke or dark colored one
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:14 pm

How's the PP super8 v2 holding out since March? Interested in trying a new braid when it's time to re-spool.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:11 pm

I have it on a couple of reels and they seem to have addressed my one criticism of the 1st gen line. That is that the line tends to fuzz out after some use. It didnt seem to affect the performance or the strength of the line, so maybe Im just being picky. The V2 is better about this, as it has a tighter weave.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:43 am

Thanks. How is the color holding out? I really like Sufix 832, but after a few sessions, it does turn white'ish. Yeah, I've used the Sharpie trick.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:32 am

It fades like all braids, though it doesnt seem to lose all the color. It just goes a couple shades lighter.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:22 pm

How is the V2 with a FG knot?

I just got 300 yards of 10lb for 50% off at Cabelas, ended up costing me around $18

Mnsmallieguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Mnsmallieguy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:48 am

Been using power pro line exclusively since its inception. I have always had good luck with it so I cant find a reason to change.

Almost all my spinning rods are spooled with 10lb test PP. I pair Slick 8 with either 8,10,12lb seaguar floro for a leader, I usually go with a leader just long enough that it does not enter my spool when fully retrieved. Although I have seen some of the fluffing some have mentioned, it has not been nearly enough where I have ever thought it had a negative impact on the line strength. I personally think the leader usage negates some of that fluffing as the leader takes a majority of the friction of the guides during casting.

I have always migrated to their latest and greatest. This time I was hesitant because I like Slick 8 so much. I finally broke down and grabbed a spool of V2. I fish smallmouth a lot. I have been on Mille Lacs quite a few times already this year as well as many other northern Minnesota Smallie lakes. I cant tell you how many 5-5.5lb fish i have boated thus far this season. What I am trying to say is my line has been put to the test. The last 2 weekends I have fished primarily V2. I have been impressed enough that I am now considering migration to V2 on all of my spinning rods.

WHY? First of all it is quieter than Slick 8. It casts farther, to me appreciably farther. I have it spooled on identical St Croix Legend elite 70mf spinning rods with Daiwa 2500 Luvias. Distance matters in our clear northern waters in early season because the fish are shallow and can be spooky of boats. I would say I am getting closer to 15-20% longer casts with this like. Another thing I have noticed is it doesn't seem to dig in as much as Slick8. Case in point, a long distance hook set on a 5lb smallie usually digs the line in which results in limited distance on the following cast, I am not noticing this with the V2 follow up casts are smooth throughout the distance with little or no hang ups.

Of course I have limited usage, 2 weeks, but thus far I am impressed and plan to continue testing a few more weeks before investing in new V2 for all my sticks.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:42 am

Mnsmallieguy wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:48 am
I pair Slick 8 with either 8,10,12lb seaguar floro for a leader
I wish they would have had 8lb V2 at my local Cabelas, but I just had to go with 10lb :big grin:

What knot are you using to join you floro leader?

Mnsmallieguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Mnsmallieguy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:09 pm

[/quote]

I wish they would have had 8lb V2 at my local Cabelas, but I just had to go with 10lb :big grin:

What knot are you using to join you floro leader?
[/quote]

I went with 8 on my LES 70LXF, very nice.

Uni to uni has never failed me, not one time for over 20 years. 6 wraps each side then pull the main line/ tag and leader line tag flat on each other to minimize tag end from sticking out.

The knot is a bit of a problem through micro guides but I tend not to go with rods that use micro guides.

I am looking for a new knot for 40lb braid to 20lb to minimize the knot size. If I can ever figure out a way to tie the FG knot without losing the knot or loosing track of counting I will go with that but it will take some practice.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:54 am

Here's what I do on my FG knots to keep track of the twists... use my oldest daughter's age (23)-yeah I like a long FG. Seems too many times though, someone is talking to me. I've learned to ignore them. :)

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:43 am

I'm gonna try a Yucatan knot next time. I've got to get the Bimini Twist down first, but that doesn't look so bad. Apparently the Yucatan is super strong, thin, and easy to tie, and I'm thinking that even if the fluoro wears out or breaks the Bimini Twist loop should still be in good shape and ready for another leader. I don't know, we shall see. The only downside I see is that I'll have two knots going through the guides separated by the length of the loop in the braid, but that Bimini knot should be really small.
This is the way.