ICAST 2019

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

ICAST 2019

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:26 am

ICAST 2019 is a month away today. Any word on what is coming out? I know there will be a new Stradic and a new Tatula but what else do you predict will be coming out this year? Thanks and best wishes on the water!

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by joekaz » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:22 am

Tackle Warehouse has the Citica I on closeout. Maybe a new Citica unless the SLX XT comes to the states and takes its place.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:21 am

stradic, slx mgl, and im guessing another mgl :mrgreen:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:01 pm

Not a clue. Seems to have been pretty quiet, so I'm expecting a fairly unexciting Icast this year.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:12 am

joekaz wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:22 am
Tackle Warehouse has the Citica I on closeout. Maybe a new Citica unless the SLX XT comes to the states and takes its place.
I, for one, would be pissed if Shimano dropped the Citica name. I have always enjoyed that particular line.
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:33 am

Look at all the good names they've dropped... The Core was a terrible loss...

I reckon the Sustain too will be on the chop soon enough.

But give it time like the Bantam - it'll come back... "in one form or another".

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:31 am

they dropped the Symetre and Saros too, replaced with the Nasci and Ultegra respectively.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:14 am

Surprised we havent heard anything on the zillion. Digitaka is sold out of 4 of the zillion models currently, but still no word.

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:17 am

KP Duty wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:14 am
Surprised we havent heard anything on the zillion. Digitaka is sold out of 4 of the zillion models currently, but still no word.
I'll take anything with an aluminum frame and no spiders

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 am

I don't hate the TWS system on Daiwa reels, I have never have an issue with it going bad, aside from scratching a generation one Tatula Type R's and that was MY mistake. I think it is plenty solid on the Steez level reels and works fine, even though there isn't a major performance gain. This all said, I wish they'd leave the Zillion name for something different/nostalgic that would work for those who want a more "traditional" reel, like the SV103 was. They could leave it an all aluminum frame/sideplate, maybe something to compete with the Bantam. The Steez A did compete with it for the price you could get them, but a US $150 difference now in those 2 reels changes things (I know the Bantam is smaller still and they don't exactly compete, but still). Daiwa has a void between the higher model Tatulas and the Steez reels, unless they decide to keep the Zillion SV TW (which is fine, I just think its time for something new).

I just hope they don't scrap the Zillion name, I really think they need something new in the upper middle class range of reel.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:22 pm

If it really looks like that current sv tw Zillion is to disappear (and not to facelifted) I really must buy another one to keep in box until my current Zillion worn out. And that would take maybe 10 years if I'm correct. There's just too big cap from Tatula to Steez in my opinion. Tatula is good reel for that price and Steez is obviously very good reel but I don't like it price tag. But it's true that there's no that big gap in price from Zillion to Steez A. And that might be reason..

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:22 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 am
I don't hate the TWS system on Daiwa reels, I have never have an issue with it going bad, aside from scratching a generation one Tatula Type R's and that was MY mistake. I think it is plenty solid on the Steez level reels and works fine, even though there isn't a major performance gain. This all said, I wish they'd leave the Zillion name for something different/nostalgic that would work for those who want a more "traditional" reel, like the SV103 was. They could leave it an all aluminum frame/sideplate, maybe something to compete with the Bantam. The Steez A did compete with it for the price you could get them, but a US $150 difference now in those 2 reels changes things (I know the Bantam is smaller still and they don't exactly compete, but still). Daiwa has a void between the higher model Tatulas and the Steez reels, unless they decide to keep the Zillion SV TW (which is fine, I just think its time for something new).

I just hope they don't scrap the Zillion name, I really think they need something new in the upper middle class range of reel.
I agree. I would like to see the Zillion come back as it once was.
<")))><{

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:16 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:22 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 am

I agree. I would like to see the Zillion come back as it once was.
Me too. I'd love to see that TD-Z/OG Fuego/OG Zillion/SV103 frame be a mainstay and classic in the lineup. And even if not the same frame, to have the Zillion marked with an all aluminum reel with brass gears, workhorse reliability, dependability, and quality.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Totally agree. Bring back the real deal.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:23 pm

I'm ready for a Zillion based off the Steez A with brass gears. They can do a 1516 HD Zillion line from the current Zillion HD with the recessed mag dial side plate. They can even do some mill work on the flat top portion of the frame like the old TD Zillions had. I wouldn't mind two different Zillion platforms. A 1016 Zillion and a 1516 Zillion HD. I don't know if they can get the price down on the platform to offer a Steez A with brass gears for $300.
Attachments
morethan_pe_tw_1.jpg
morethan_pe_tw_1.jpg (21.08 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
ZILLION-TW-HLC1516SH.jpg
ZILLION-TW-HLC1516SH.jpg (36.91 KiB) Viewed 12280 times