Let's see that backlash!

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Let's see that backlash!

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:33 am

Another casualty on the front lines of the bank fishing battle.
This is the way.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:16 am

Maybe you need to spend less time fishing and more time trimming the shoreline brush with that weedeater string. ;) I used to carry hand pruners in my creel when I fished creeks for trout in my youth. The only thing that sucks about cutting new access is that other anglers will fish your spot. :crying: I managed to lose two of my my custom spinnerbaits last month on one of the golf course lakes that I fish that has overhanging brush. I blame the dark moon that was causing me to cast blind. :roll: The lake is out in the middle of nowhere with no light pollution. Spooky too with all of the coyotes, rattlesnakes, and skunks!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:15 pm

toddmc wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:16 am
Maybe you need to spend less time fishing and more time trimming the shoreline brush with that weedeater string. ;) I used to carry hand pruners in my creel when I fished creeks for trout in my youth. The only thing that sucks about cutting new access is that other anglers will fish your spot. :crying: I managed to lose two of my my custom spinnerbaits last month on one of the golf course lakes that I fish that has overhanging brush. I blame the dark moon that was causing me to cast blind. :roll: The lake is out in the middle of nowhere with no light pollution. Spooky too with all of the coyotes, rattlesnakes, and skunks!
I bet! I'd be like 8-[ My in-laws have some ponds like that and it does get creepy after dark. It's pretty thick with venomous snakes, including pygmy rattlers, cottonmouths, and copperheads.

Exactly. I've thought about it, but you're right, it'll attract other people. I do have a big straight shaft 4-cycle trimmer that would take down all but the biggest stuff out there. :-k Sometimes I'll smack some tiny thing I didn't even notice in the first place. On the picture above I snagged a bush or big weed behind my right side hard. Your bait can do some crazy things on the back swing. My hook point was completely imbedded in the stem of that thing and it took some coaxing to get it out. I didn't even bother with the spool. I just started cutting. :x ~X( :crying:
This is the way.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:38 pm

My lure found a tree limb real quick

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:06 pm

This is a good reason to use braid. Never had a backlash that couldn’t be sorted out. Love some fluoro for certain things, but bushwhacking is not one of them. A buddy wrapped his PowerPole micro with braid on the backswing recently. By the time I made it over to him, he had already started cutting :doh: so I blew up one of my reels on purpose and taught him a quick lesson. All we need is a little patience.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:39 pm

That's true. The one I posted of my SS with braid came out no problem. I just really prefer fluoro for bottom contact-y slack line stuff. That SV105 hasn't been all that kind to me with fluoro, so I respooled it with some 10# fireline I've had lying around for years. At first blush it seems like a better fit, but I haven't actually fished it yet. It certainly looks cool.

If I wind up not liking it, I'll go buy a spool of actual braid.

This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Edward78 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:38 pm
My lure found a tree limb real quick
:shock: Gnarly. Nicely done, sir. I tip my hat to that one. :clap: :twisted:
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:15 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:06 pm
This is a good reason to use braid. Never had a backlash that couldn’t be sorted out. Love some fluoro for certain things, but bushwhacking is not one of them. A buddy wrapped his PowerPole micro with braid on the backswing recently. By the time I made it over to him, he had already started cutting :doh: so I blew up one of my reels on purpose and taught him a quick lesson. All we need is a little patience.
You know, I like to try to put together optimal combos, taking into consideration rod, reel, and line, and without considering my arsenal holistically I realize now that the line I've chosen for the 12 combos I've put together from ultra light to extra heavy are split 50/50 like this:

64UL/bf: Fluoro, 65L/bf: Braid, 68ML/bf: Fluoro,
69M/bf: Braid, 65ML: Braid, 66M: Braid, 610M: Fluoro,
67MH: Braid, 70MH: Fluoro, 70H: Fluoro, 70FRog: Braid,
70X: Fluoro

So if I just keep that in mind when I'm on the bushwhack side of whatever pond I'm at I'll be able to fish whatever I want and avoid anymore of these unfortunate, spool obliterating overruns. Thanks for the light bulb.
This is the way.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:02 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
I have a lot of reels, almost all my BFS reels have braid but all my other reels have fluoro except one with mono for top water treble baits and one with braid for Frogging. I just like fluoro better but what you say does make sense.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:24 am

This thread has made me feel okay about my 'overruns'. :)

I'm still surprised that with a little time and patience I can get most resolved. There are times however when the scissors come out! I've had a few on the water when the bite was strong and didn't have the 'right' setup but fished with something that at least got me in the game. Wasn't terrible, but now I bring a backup spool for casting reels in order to do a quick, cut, switch, fish drill.

However, for whatever reasons (maybe because of) new users and their bird-nests usually mean cutting it out. I guess it's the thumb knowledge they lack and boy oh boy, those are wicked. Good thing I spool mono for them. ;)

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:12 am

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:15 pm
JBcrankaddict wrote:
You know, I like to try to put together optimal combos, taking into consideration rod, reel, and line, and without considering my arsenal holistically I realize now that the line I've chosen for the 12 combos I've put together from ultra light to extra heavy are split 50/50 like this:

64UL/bf: Fluoro, 65L/bf: Braid, 68ML/bf: Fluoro,
69M/bf: Braid, 65ML: Braid, 66M: Braid, 610M: Fluoro,
67MH: Braid, 70MH: Fluoro, 70H: Fluoro, 70FRog: Braid,
70X: Fluoro

So if I just keep that in mind when I'm on the bushwhack side of whatever pond I'm at I'll be able to fish whatever I want and avoid anymore of these unfortunate, spool obliterating overruns. Thanks for the light bulb.
No problem man. You’ve got things covered with those sweet combos! I’m sure you’ve got enough sensitivity in those MSX rods to not lose much changing to braid for certain things. Hate seeing wasted spoils of fluoro, gets expensive fast! Good luck!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:42 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:12 am

No problem man. You’ve got things covered with those sweet combos! I’m sure you’ve got enough sensitivity in those MSX rods to not lose much changing to braid for certain things. Hate seeing wasted spoils of fluoro, gets expensive fast! Good luck!
Thanks and likewise! If my signature on every post holds true, all I really need is the opportunity. On the setups I chose to use with braid, I planned to use them mostly for moving baits and topwaters, anything fished on line that should remain taut or on the surface. I'm looking at it differently now. I'll just have to keep an eye on my line more when fishing bottom contact with the braid. It'll definitely save me some headaches and money if I approach it based on what's around me on the bank.
This is the way.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:30 am

This one had a happy ending. Spent a nice Sunday morning on the front porch enjoying my tea and embarking on a temporary odyssey of insanity. I actually had to do it to two rigs, this one being the worst. I'll do this for braid, mono I would have cut off completely. I don't use fluoro at all.

Being stubborn AND cheap can be a bad combination :lol:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:49 pm

I see you still had the blade ready, though. :big grin:
This is the way.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:53 am

Been awhile, but it's back

This one wasn't salvageable :lol:. Pitching a little finesse jig and the hook caught my knit glove. Ended up being a blessing in disguise as the other rod I brought with me was a chatterbait rod. Pond bass were all over it on a 38 degree cloudy day here in northern IL. Best was a 5.53lber.