TFO GTS S 601-3 info

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

TFO GTS S 601-3 info

Post by Craigthor » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:33 am

Curious if anyone has any info on this rod, found and ordered one as the specs look right to play with. According to the seller it was for display purpose only at shows though I can’t find any info on this rod at all.

6’ 3pc UL
Rated 1/32-3/16
2-6lb line

Solid cork grip with slide rings for the reel.

slimjim1135
Angler
Angler

Re: TFO GTS S 601-3 info

Post by slimjim1135 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:13 pm

It's part of TFO's travel series rods, and I think it was at least meant to serve as a more packable version of the 601 FWSF, which was a 2 piece spinning fly rod. The Tennessee grip is used so you can mount a fly reel or spinning reel on it.
I know the 601 FWSF was created specifically with Joe Robinson in mind. He wrote a book called "Piscatorial Absurdities," which discussed UL fishing for warmwater species, mostly smaller bass like Guads around central Texas. The fly shop by my house used to have the rod you're receiving, and I handled it a few times while there. Seems like it would make a killer little creek combo, or be perfect for trout.

If you're into fly fishing with smaller rods, I would try it with 3wt DT line and see how it handles a dry. Don't expect it to cast across the river, but for small streams I bet it would be plenty delicate enough in a pinch.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TFO GTS S 601-3 info

Post by Craigthor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:19 pm

slimjim1135 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:13 pm
It's part of TFO's travel series rods, and I think it was at least meant to serve as a more packable version of the 601 FWSF, which was a 2 piece spinning fly rod. The Tennessee grip is used so you can mount a fly reel or spinning reel on it.
I know the 601 FWSF was created specifically with Joe Robinson in mind. He wrote a book called "Piscatorial Absurdities," which discussed UL fishing for warmwater species, mostly smaller bass like Guads around central Texas. The fly shop by my house used to have the rod you're receiving, and I handled it a few times while there. Seems like it would make a killer little creek combo, or be perfect for trout.

If you're into fly fishing with smaller rods, I would try it with 3wt DT line and see how it handles a dry. Don't expect it to cast across the river, but for small streams I bet it would be plenty delicate enough in a pinch.
Thanks, I was hoping it was based on the rod Joe inspired not sure how much I will use it, maybe a catch and release or hold on to it for fun.

It’s still in USPS hands though its only 4-6 hours away it seems to have dropped off the radar for what should have been a 2 day trip at best.