questions from a newbie

Is there any other species?
Thalo
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

questions from a newbie

Post by Thalo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:36 am

Hey everyone. I am from eastern Ky and I have recently taken interest in bass fishing. I have always loved to fish and mainly targeted bluegill. Now I'd like to start catching bass. I am boat less so shoreline is all I got right now. My biggest problem other than that is I feel very overwhelmed when it comes to all the different baits and techniques. Also weather and moon phases. It all seems so complicated. I bought a tell all fishing info manual from bass pro. Although it has some great advice and instructions In it, it is still a little hard to understand if your're not already familiar with fishing. I've watched countless YouTube videos and all I seem to get is conflicting opinions. I understand fish and waters differ as far as approach. How did you get started? I have fished several different lakes for many hours and have only caught small cats and bluegill. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: questions from a newbie

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:16 am

Are there any tackle shops near you other than the big chain stores? If so, that's the best place to get information on the how, what, why, and where near you.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:33 am

You’ll be ahead of the game if you will not look at the big picture so much and just start with very basic stuff. Forget the moon phase thing for now and just get a basic understanding of weather but don’t be rigid on any idea or you’ll put yourself in a box and may miss out on some great days. Finding a bass club to be a non boater in will do wonders to speed up your learning process.

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:15 pm

are you in eastern ky now? new york? way different fishing between the two.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:41 am

There's really only one way imo, and that's to get on the water and put in your time. Scout the waters you want to fish, and determine where you have access from the shore. Unfortunately, the only way you will know if there's bass in those areas is it to fish them as often as possible. As already mentioned, speaking with others to obtain information wherever you can get it is always helpful. Personally, I'd recommend starting out with some plastic worms. This bait is extremely versatile, and can be rigged many ways. Use it to probe. Figure out roughly the depths, bottom composition, and look for signs of cover. Pay attention to everything when you do catch a bass. Get yourself some search baits to cover water with. Paddle tail swimbaits would be my 1st choice, because you can fish and hold them at any depth. Work all areas of the water column. Eventually it will all start to come together, but again, you have to put in your time. Little by little, you will start to dial it in. Don't worry about about anything other than fishing as much as possible to begin with. Are you fishing for smallmouth, largemouth or both?