Tatula CT gear, interchangeable with larger/OG tatula and similar bodies

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Tatula CT gear, interchangeable with larger/OG tatula and similar bodies

Post by y2k88 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:06 am

Hi,

I've had my Tatula CT for a year now and have used it on/off. Quite like it with the DIY spool.
Anyway, it hasn't been the smoothest reel from day 1 and i wasn't too fussed being a $100 reel, but having felt a mate's HRF (based off the larger zillion tw body), I feel it's got the potential to be a lot better.

So wondering if anyone has tried to see if other gears would fit the Tatula CT.
Was thinking the gear set from the HRF since I know what it's like, but it's from the bigger zillion body.
Other reels that I'm thinking gear sets from are the Tatula SV and the Zillion SV TW.

Relubed the gears with Shimano DG06, but didn't help. Looked pretty dry when I opened it up (see pics).

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tatula CT gear, interchangeable with larger/OG tatula and similar bodies

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:45 am

Wonder how long till Daiwa comes out with its own "micro-gearing".

Love to hear others recommendations for geary Daiwa BC's.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:45 am

The Tatula SV gearing should be the same. Owning a Zillion SV TW, I am pretty sure they are the same too. Maybe the tighter tolerances make the Zillion more smooth, honestly though I believe the dual supported pinion (Daiwa's x-ship, goes with free floating spool by design I am pretty sure) is what accounts for the smoother cranking. I know for a fact that my Zillion SV is much more refined than my friend's Tatula SV, but I also know they are not incredibly different inside either, so it much lie within tolerances or slight design differences.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:55 pm

yeah, good point about the dual bearing supported pinion which is not in the tatula. Thanks.

Shermanjr62
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Shermanjr62 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:03 pm

I actually tried changing out a Tatula SV XS and a Zillion SV HS because I wanted a faster Zillion before actually buying the 9.1:1 gear set, and the pinion gear for a Zillion SV is different than a Tatula SV. The top of the pinion on a Zillion SV is designed to go up into what is the spool bearing on a Tatula SV. The gears are the same size though, so they technically would work between the Tatula Models. If you were a machinist or had a lot of knowledge you could probably modify Zillion 9.1:1 gears to fit in a Tatula SV.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:22 am

Shermanjr62 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:03 pm
I actually tried changing out a Tatula SV XS and a Zillion SV HS because I wanted a faster Zillion before actually buying the 9.1:1 gear set, and the pinion gear for a Zillion SV is different than a Tatula SV. The top of the pinion on a Zillion SV is designed to go up into what is the spool bearing on a Tatula SV. The gears are the same size though, so they technically would work between the Tatula Models. If you were a machinist or had a lot of knowledge you could probably modify Zillion 9.1:1 gears to fit in a Tatula SV.
Possible, the free floating spool design versus the spool pin through design would present some major challenges though...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:57 am

Look at the various reel schematics. Daiwa labels the part # the same, regardless of model. If the numbers match, they should interchange. Its possible that you just got a shoddy gear set from the factory. It does happen, as I have replaced a couple of brand-new gear sets, one on a Tatula SV XS. I have also noticed a difference in gear smoothness between a few different reels of the same model in the Tatula line. The XS gears always seem less smooth than their slower counterparts, regardless of model, at least with the Daiwa lineup. Ive heard the same complaint about Shimano and Abu reels, as well, though I havent recently compared 2 Shimano reels from the same series side-by-side.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:46 am

Don't mod the pinion gear. Add the zillion bearing and keep the pinion support. Use a liner from the zillion or make a brass ring for the pinion as I did here!.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=78521&p=628409#p628409
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO