One Smart Fishy Opponent

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

One Smart Fishy Opponent

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:20 pm

I often fish ponds whenever possible. This particular pond has a concrete wall that I stand on. Attached to the wall is a square dam that has a opening which allows water to spill over in times when the rains come. Anyways every time I cast to the left corner there is a fish who want bite until the lure comes to three to six inches of the corner that is created by the wall and the dam. There is some cover in this corner too, and when he hits the jig it is already under a limb and than he takes that corner and the wall will cut your line.

I’m not sure this is not a bass but it’s not a bream , tilapia or anything like that. I’ve got him to hit a dropshot but can’t get him through the wood. The best technique to get bite consistently is stroking a jig. Make a cast a ways off and bring it back to you. When you pop it up at that corner I aforementioned he’ll hit it on the fall and take line. This fish MUST be caught
But how? I’ve used braid but the angle that I had wasn’t the best and I’m thinking my rod was too stiff and fast action.

Help me dry this fish off
Oh and he’ll only hit crawfish style baits that’s why I’ve been using jigs and when I drop shot I was using a craw bait.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: One Smart Fishy Opponent

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:05 pm

I'd probably use a flipping rig, peg the sinker and bury the hook deep into the bait. 20# fluoro and an Owner Jungle hook. You got an extra heavy rod?
This is the way.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:35 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:05 pm
I'd probably use a flipping rig, peg the sinker and bury the hook deep into the bait. 20# fluoro and an Owner Jungle hook. You got an extra heavy rod?
I do actually
Just got 25lb floro and spooled a bantam reel matched with a GLX 895 rod :-k
I think I’m thinking what your thinking
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:03 am

Those 3/0 flipping hooks can make for a compact profile. If you really make sure it has it and get a really good hook set through the top of the mouth you should have it dead to rights as long as you pull it away from all that cover with the quickness. I don't know any other way to approach that situation other than maybe a frog. Good luck!
This is the way.