**Say it ain't so**

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

**Say it ain't so**

Post by Cristo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:15 pm

I just heard about Mike Long, crazy...... ](*,)

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: **Say it ain't so**

Post by Cristo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:23 pm

Not sure if this is illegal post but I just had to say something I couldn't believe it I just got wind of this today my buddies were talking to me about it, man I am super bummed :crying:

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:05 pm

This story had all the intrigue of the dateline murder stories. Every page was like, "WTF"!? It sounds like the California Tourney anglers knew, but everyone was afraid to say something for some reason. I am interested in how BASS reacts. My 2 cents is that all his records are either voided or have an asterisk.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:07 pm

It's shocking in a lot of ways but reminds me quite a bit of the baseball scandals tainted homerun records etc, and others so it was bound to happen I guess on a big-time level in our beloved hobby it just sucks like most people I genuinely looked up and kept my ear to all his supposed knowledge/accolades now I feel like a naive dummy :doh: all sorts of egg on my face. Going to be lots of memes unfortunately. What a mess.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:00 pm

One of the saddest things to ever happen in the sport of bass fishing. I doubt Long will be bought to book, for the criminal he is. :evil: :evil:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:19 pm

Interesting correlation between the "juiced" era of MLB and this situation Cristo. Growing up, some of those "juiced" guys were my heroes. It certainly does have an impact when those you've admired turn out to be cheaters. I haven't followed this situation closely, but read somewhere that the Diamond Valley lake record once claimed by the individual in question has been vacated and returned to the apparent rightful owner...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:30 pm

Yeah it's just really too bad especially given the baseball era for me personally as I too I grew up playing baseball, I cherished following the sport as well, but once I started realizing how many of the so-called Heroes I grew up with turned out to be cheats kind of suck the wind out of it for me and let's not forget all the bad bikers with Lance out there being Juiced to the gills... still all around suck tastic for all but we certainly move on :-k

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:58 pm

A member here pointed me to sdfsh.com this past Monday......I sat in shock as I read and watched the secretly recorded spy video for myself. There is a good point to be made here----no matter what it is that people do in life, some will choose to take shortcuts, even to the point of violating the law and common decency, in order to gain recognition. This sort of thing is a collective "black eye" for sportsmen of outdoor pursuits everywhere, including hunting and fishing. This kind of behavior gives traction to anti-hunting groups such as PETA to take away these privileges we enjoy. Shame on this cheater, and anyone else who does this sort of thing, just for "false hero worship". Ethical pursuit is not just a catch phase at my house. I have always taught my kids to be honest and respectful in everything they do, including harvesting animals for food and sport. They know that the meat that goes on our table cost a life, not just that it came from the freezer at the grocery store.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:01 pm

Can’t believe he was able to get away with it for sooo long, especially fishing tourneys! I guess that’s what happens when people start to idolize someone, they see no faults even when it’s in plain sight. I’m really shocked at the way California does lake records! All you need is a picture, no proof of weight or anything? Or did they feel he was a trustworthy person and took his word? Definitely shocked about the whole thing, but that stuck out to me as being weird.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:31 am

I'm not condoning the Baseball juicers or Lance Armstrong for using steriods......the bottom line there is that those guys did have to actually make contact with the ball and win races. Hiding fish in secret live wells to cheat at tournaments and snagging record fish, lying about lake records.....etc......is a different kind of deceit.........this seems quite criminal to me. Maybe it all is, I don't know.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:51 am

earthworm77 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:31 am
I'm not condoning the Baseball juicers or Lance Armstrong for using steriods......the bottom line there is that those guys did have to actually make contact with the ball and win races.
Not to mention climbing l'Alpe d'Huez ... I mean, really, what sane person attempts that? :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:17 am

Earthworm, I definitely agree on being quite Criminal this feeling also gets churned up when I watch MMA and I see guys that I think are doing it right end up getting exposed by popping hot and becoming dangerous weapons in the ring and hurting guys because of money and fame but those guys hardly ever get punished other than getting publicly shamed or at worst suspended(big whoop there) so who knows crazy world but as long as there's enough people doing it the right way I guess it equals it out in the end hopefully :-k

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:36 pm

What gets me is the fact that all this just blew up last week. The most damning evidence of his nefarious methods was from nearly a decade ago. I have yet to watch that video produced this year, but I'm sure that since he had to use a camo camera with a huge telephoto lens the video will be epic.
This is the way.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:36 pm

Read the article on SDfish before watching the video. The video only shows 1% of the story.

Mike Long is not just snagging bass. He committed fraud by illegally winning over $150k in tournament winnings. He committed attempted murder on multiple people by loosening their lug nuts. He trespassed multiple times and starred through the window of 13yr old boy’s bedroom. He’s a serial poacher and criminal.

Nearly all of his tournament partners have come out and said he cheated. The dude was a terrible fisherman, he barely knew how to cast a baitcaster and made a name for himself by fishing on private lakes at night, and then tying off trophy fish in other lakes he would be tournament fishing the next day. He would do the same thing to claim lake records as well. He also had an aquarium and would smuggle bass in secret compartments in his boat to win tournaments.

The dude is beyond a scumbag. He is a psychopath and should be locked behind bars.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:28 pm

Oh, I read all nine pages of that as soon as the story broke and just watched the video at lunch today. He's just lucky he committed all those atrocities before social media became truly ubiquitous the way it is today with all the intantaneous public shaming and death threats and everything that goes with that at the slightest provocation. The snagging/poaching is bad enough and a total perversion of the sport, but all the rest would make for a viral limited true crime series on Netflix.
This is the way.