New Poison Adrena

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Poison Adrena

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:08 pm

bwjay wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:07 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:34 pm
bwjay wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:38 pm
I had the 6'11M+F preordered and canceled it, as I decided to look at other options. I mostly bank fish and I need versatility, which it seems that rod would provide, but I wasn't sure I would be able to baby it like I would want to, and it seemed like there might be better options for me. Still, I wonder about it. I wish they offered a shorter MHF, like 6'10". That would probably get my money as a versatile rod whether it be for bottom contact or moving bait or treble bait applications. I guess I should be thankful that they don't though. I've spent enough on fishing gear recently... my wallet is already hiding from the imminent impact of ICAST.
What did you go with?
I ended up with a Kistler Helium3, well, 2 of them actually, the 6'9MHXF and the 7'HXF. I read good things about the North Forks blank and a lot of people say it fishes way above its price. I considered it a budget GLX in some ways, though of course it's never that simple.

The 6'9MHXF is a great all rounder so far as far as I can tell, and is my "just bring one" rod for bank fishing. It's closer to a fast action than xfast which was really the deciding factor (along with weight and sensitivity). Both rods are really lightweight. The 7'HXF weighs 4oz - my St Croix 7'MHF Premier has a tiny bit less backbone and weighs 5.4oz, and you can tell. I really enjoy the action of the H3 whereas the Premier feels a bit like a pool cue. If I bring 2 rods with me, the 7'HXF is for heavier moving baits and frogs and the 6'9MHXF is for T-rigs, Senkos, jigs, and maybe topwater I suppose. Minnesota is very weedy in the summer and I don't have the luxury of fishing open water (as a bank fisherman) so I don't really get to fish topwater other than frogs.

I have yet to put the H3s to the test for bottom contact, but so far they seem pretty sensitive. I was working a squarebill last weekend and felt the difference between ticking the top of grass and snagging a thicker weed (before the snag really happened). The action of the squarebill was very well translated through the blank, as was the blade rotation on spinnerbaits. I think it's an acceptable crankbait rod considering the moderate-fast+ action as I did stick a couple fish and only lost a bigger one on a lipless.

Overall I am pretty pleased with the H3s and look forward to putting a lot more time on them. I may get an even nicer rod in the future if I get a kayak, so I can actually use it for specific techniques instead of having to be really versatile (maybe a Poison Adrena or NRX or Zbone for jigs).
You must not dip much below a half ounce very often? When I think of versatility, it's something more around 3/16 oz to 11/16 oz, which is pretty much what that particular Adrena model is imo. The H3s are indeed nice sticks. One of my favorite models for versatility before I started going custom, was the Klx tops and twitch model.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:44 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:08 pm
bwjay wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:07 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:34 pm
bwjay wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:38 pm
I had the 6'11M+F preordered and canceled it, as I decided to look at other options. I mostly bank fish and I need versatility, which it seems that rod would provide, but I wasn't sure I would be able to baby it like I would want to, and it seemed like there might be better options for me. Still, I wonder about it. I wish they offered a shorter MHF, like 6'10". That would probably get my money as a versatile rod whether it be for bottom contact or moving bait or treble bait applications. I guess I should be thankful that they don't though. I've spent enough on fishing gear recently... my wallet is already hiding from the imminent impact of ICAST.
What did you go with?
I ended up with a Kistler Helium3, well, 2 of them actually, the 6'9MHXF and the 7'HXF. I read good things about the North Forks blank and a lot of people say it fishes way above its price. I considered it a budget GLX in some ways, though of course it's never that simple.

The 6'9MHXF is a great all rounder so far as far as I can tell, and is my "just bring one" rod for bank fishing. It's closer to a fast action than xfast which was really the deciding factor (along with weight and sensitivity). Both rods are really lightweight. The 7'HXF weighs 4oz - my St Croix 7'MHF Premier has a tiny bit less backbone and weighs 5.4oz, and you can tell. I really enjoy the action of the H3 whereas the Premier feels a bit like a pool cue. If I bring 2 rods with me, the 7'HXF is for heavier moving baits and frogs and the 6'9MHXF is for T-rigs, Senkos, jigs, and maybe topwater I suppose. Minnesota is very weedy in the summer and I don't have the luxury of fishing open water (as a bank fisherman) so I don't really get to fish topwater other than frogs.

I have yet to put the H3s to the test for bottom contact, but so far they seem pretty sensitive. I was working a squarebill last weekend and felt the difference between ticking the top of grass and snagging a thicker weed (before the snag really happened). The action of the squarebill was very well translated through the blank, as was the blade rotation on spinnerbaits. I think it's an acceptable crankbait rod considering the moderate-fast+ action as I did stick a couple fish and only lost a bigger one on a lipless.

Overall I am pretty pleased with the H3s and look forward to putting a lot more time on them. I may get an even nicer rod in the future if I get a kayak, so I can actually use it for specific techniques instead of having to be really versatile (maybe a Poison Adrena or NRX or Zbone for jigs).
You must not dip much below a half ounce very often? When I think of versatility, it's something more around 3/16 oz to 11/16 oz, which is pretty much what that particular Adrena model is imo. The H3s are indeed nice sticks. One of my favorite models for versatility before I started going custom, was the Klx tops and twitch model.
I generally don't go over 3/4oz, sticking between 1/4oz and 3/8oz before trailers. The lightest stuff I intend to throw on the MHXF is a weightless Senko which I realize is pretty light, but it doesn't seem to have an issue with it. Check the reviews on Kistler's site... a lot of people are using them for weightless Senkos. The MHXF is definitely overpowered for a 1/6oz Ned rig for example (and obviously anything under) but for everything else it seems to do well. And, remember the Minnesota weeds... it slings baits out whether they're light or heavy, but pulling a 2lb bass (being generous here) through a bunch of nasty slop makes it feel like a 4-5lber and loads the rod up pretty good. I just fished the 7'HXF tonight with weightless Senkos because I broke my Expride with a Ned head impact ( :( ) and it definitely isn't something I would do if I had another option, but it worked. Worked well with a 3/8oz jig + trailer, seemed a little stiffer than I might want for a 3/8oz spinnerbait, but I bought it more for long frogging sessions and wanted it to be somewhat versatile. So far I'd say it definitely is and I really enjoyed using it even though I was wishing for the shorter MHXF to cast better around trees and to load up better with smaller baits.

But generally you are right, I think the Medium+ Adrena would fit my usage nicely, and that's why I was gonna get one. I just ended up going a different direction. I may still get one eventually.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:17 am

Right on. A 5" Senko weighs 3/8 oz.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:54 am

Very light as expected but more power than expected. The 611m+ feels closer to MH. The 72mh works excellent for texas rigs and swimjigs.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:54 am
Very light as expected but more power than expected. The 611m+ feels closer to MH. The 72mh works excellent for texas rigs and swimjigs.
I’ve been considering another rod in this line up.
How’s the backbone of the 72?
I was looking at the model above the 72 but than the Otomat lingers in my ear.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:45 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 pm
cndbasshunter wrote:
Judging by the other adrenas the 72H should be stout, i have the 72H expride so i ddint get the Adrena model.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:05 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:45 pm
goldrod wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:
Judging by the other adrenas the 72H should be stout, i have the 72H expride so i ddint get the Adrena model.
Understood.
I was hoping for more variations of the adrena after ICAST
or news of the JDM version crossing the seas to the states.
I really like the six eleven and have considered another but I have to get through microeconomics and macroeconomics before I can get out the house
Last edited by goldrod on Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:18 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:05 am
cndbasshunter wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:45 pm
goldrod wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:
Understood.
I was hoping for more variation of the adrena after ICAST
or news of the JDM version crossing the seas to the states.
I really like the six eleven and have considered another but I have to get through microeconomics and macroeconomics before I can get out the house
I bought the 72h from Japan before they came to the US. I sold it, but enjoyed it while I had it. I don’t know that I’d call it stout. It was the lightest heavy rated rod I had at the time.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:10 pm

For those who have the 7’3 Mh is it an all around rod where you can fish worms or jigs with it or is the regular taper to soft for it ?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:10 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:10 pm
For those who have the 7’3 Mh is it an all around rod where you can fish worms or jigs with it or is the regular taper to soft for it ?
It would be excellent for worms and jigs, compared to my nrx it's a tad slower tip and a tad softer.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:42 pm

Does it have good hook driving power in the backbone ? What would you say the sweet spot for Texas rig and jig with trailer weight ?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:48 pm

yes for sure. it's got lots of power, sweet spot is 1/4 to 5/8
oz.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:56 pm

Thankyou so much :) ordering one as we speak !

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:18 pm

So many rods so little time.. :crying:

I called TWH
about the longer casting rods and the 7'"2 was suggested for worms and jigs.
So I am glad to hear that the longer rod has enough backbone too.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:54 pm

What nrx or loomis power would you compare the 7’3 mh to?