Rods with the 'it' Factor

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rods with the 'it' Factor

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:34 am

I'm a little surprised at the amount of attention going towards the P3s. I had the Elseil. It was definitely a versatile stick, and the blank was above average - pretty crisp and sensitive, but it didn't wow me. I felt my K2s and Point Blanks felt more alive, and the PBs are incredibly versatile. I would have kept it, but it felt rather tip heavy and unbalanced. I think it it had a full grip, it would have leveled things out, and the tiny nub of a split grip / butt was uncomfortable. I didn't have the heart to rip the grip off and replace it.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:54 am

The Elseil in the Phase 3 wasn't the pick of the litter when it comes to sensitivity, though a nice rod. The Bearing Down and Nautilus are clearly much more sensitive in my hands...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:45 am

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:54 am
The Elseil in the Phase 3 wasn't the pick of the litter when it comes to sensitivity, though a nice rod. The Bearing Down and Nautilus are clearly much more sensitive in my hands...
It wasn't bad. I really enjoyed the taper and versatility. That dang handle grip though.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:57 pm

I have a few of the ones that I deleted to save space on the post.

I've tried to get my hands on a Luxxe Oltre, but to no avail. :crying: Still looking...

Tell me about the Steez Racing Design and the Grand Cobra. Have read a little bit about them but intrigued. :-k Can you give us a quick review? What techniques the rods shine w/?
[/quote]

Luxxe Oltre-I have the 6.9 MH. This rod is pretty versatile as I can move seamlessly from bottom contact to moving treble baits. In Florida when the bite gets tough, everybody throws a worm. I guess that's everywhere, but here it seems more prevalent than anywhere. I got to the point where I stopped using them for a few years, because I'd hate times every so often when a worm would get swallowed deep. This rod solves that. The sensitivity is hard to explain. Since I started worm'in with this one, always a proper hook set as I can always feel the lightest of taps. Don't have to worry about line watching at night. I feel everything. It's also wonderful for small cranks. I also use it for 110 jrs and other jerks. I throw top water pencils with with and small poppers. It's got the backbone in that "berry" that's needed to haul them in from the bottom, but it won;t rip trebles out either. I'm usually fishing this one on weed edges or openings in cover.

Steez racing design Hustler 701 mh. This is the most sensitive rod I own in terms of the way I detect and visualize the bottom in my head. Although I feel that tap more distinctly on the oltre, I can read the bottom better with the RD. Strange, but true in my experience. I use this one in much heavier cover than the oltre. Smaller jigs and texas rigged anything, swim jigs. This thing also is a joy to cast. I sling and skip baits with this rod like Greg Hackny (at least in my mind).

Grand cobra rs: This is my 'first team' single hook moving bait rod, which usually means underspins. It initially replaced the x7 super rekkai in my line up after a career ending injury to that rod. It slowly slipped into a single hook moving bait rod specially spot. It's more powerful and slightly more sensitive than the x7 SR in my hands. I also throw spinner baits with it. It can handle 2-3 oz swimbaits no problem, but my Tulala rods have taken over those duties completely. This rod has way more sensitivity than it usually needs, because the baits I use it for often get slammed. But, not always. The power it has is brutal. Great caster for a sub-7 foot rod.

Regarding other's comments on the P3 Elseil. In completely agree; well below nautilus and bearing down on my list too. It deserves an honorable mention though.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:31 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:57 pm
I have a few of the ones that I deleted to save space on the post.

I've tried to get my hands on a Luxxe Oltre, but to no avail. :crying: Still looking...

Tell me about the Steez Racing Design and the Grand Cobra. Have read a little bit about them but intrigued. :-k Can you give us a quick review? What techniques the rods shine w/?
Luxxe Oltre-I have the 6.9 MH. This rod is pretty versatile as I can move seamlessly from bottom contact to moving treble baits. In Florida when the bite gets tough, everybody throws a worm. I guess that's everywhere, but here it seems more prevalent than anywhere. I got to the point where I stopped using them for a few years, because I'd hate times every so often when a worm would get swallowed deep. This rod solves that. The sensitivity is hard to explain. Since I started worm'in with this one, always a proper hook set as I can always feel the lightest of taps. Don't have to worry about line watching at night. I feel everything. It's also wonderful for small cranks. I also use it for 110 jrs and other jerks. I throw top water pencils with with and small poppers. It's got the backbone in that "berry" that's needed to haul them in from the bottom, but it won;t rip trebles out either. I'm usually fishing this one on weed edges or openings in cover.

Steez racing design Hustler 701 mh. This is the most sensitive rod I own in terms of the way I detect and visualize the bottom in my head. Although I feel that tap more distinctly on the oltre, I can read the bottom better with the RD. Strange, but true in my experience. I use this one in much heavier cover than the oltre. Smaller jigs and texas rigged anything, swim jigs. This thing also is a joy to cast. I sling and skip baits with this rod like Greg Hackny (at least in my mind).

Grand cobra rs: This is my 'first team' single hook moving bait rod, which usually means underspins. It initially replaced the x7 super rekkai in my line up after a career ending injury to that rod. It slowly slipped into a single hook moving bait rod specially spot. It's more powerful and slightly more sensitive than the x7 SR in my hands. I also throw spinner baits with it. It can handle 2-3 oz swimbaits no problem, but my Tulala rods have taken over those duties completely. This rod has way more sensitivity than it usually needs, because the baits I use it for often get slammed. But, not always. The power it has is brutal. Great caster for a sub-7 foot rod.

Regarding other's comments on the P3 Elseil. In completely agree; well below nautilus and bearing down on my list too. It deserves an honorable mention though.
[/quote]

Nice write up. It's always good to have a firm tip, and some powerful berries.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:49 pm

When you make it to page 3 and you don't see any of your rod models listed....

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:56 pm

_diggy_ wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:49 pm
What ya got? No worries, this is camp Megabass. Plenty of other stellar fish in the sea.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:04 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:56 pm

What ya got? No worries, this is camp Megabass. Plenty of other stellar fish in the sea.
I got it all, but none of these! Image
Don't worry, tomorrow I'll be calling Gary!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:50 pm

_diggy_ wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:49 pm
Lol, I would post a few of mine, but I think people around here are tired of hearing about them as it is.

Also, personally I can't decide if a rod has the "it factor" due to its versatility or its proficiency for a specific technique.

I do still want that Hein Carbon Head...
This is the way.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:36 pm

"IT" is different for everyone but one maybe two rods that have "IT' for me are

St. Croix Legend Elite 7'4" Heavy rod is a great rod.
I currently have a Daiwa Z on it. its one of the most comfortable and balanced rod. You can put just about any reel on it you want and it just is. I has a tip good for pin point accuracy and it has backbone. I am not sure why St. Croix flies under the radar when it comes to bottom contact rods at least IMO. Still its a rod that Im throwing zoom ol monsters on and in a flick of the wrist, pitch creature baits or even ILouds

Maybe its been mentioned here before but the Kistler H3 heavy 7'3"
I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Can't say enough about it and I would take this rod over my Green NRX any day.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:34 am

hein
nrx 842
glx bcr 803
Daemos
FMJ
Destruction

nrx 852s