Moderate Flipping Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Moderate Flipping Rod

Post by DenhamBruce » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:15 am

Wondering if the guys on here can help me in my search for a good moderate action flipping rod as I'm having trouble finding a rod with enough flex to load up deep into the blank while fishing close quarters with straight braid.

I just bought an Edge Delta 777 and have been left feeling disappointed with my purchase. Its rated down to 1/2oz and it was described to me over the phone from an employee at Edge that this rod was soft enough to where it could be used to throw crankbaits and such but after fishing it I don't think that could be further from the truth. This rod is a broomstick by my standards and 1oz baits barely load it enough when pitching baits. I assumed it would have enough flex for what I'm looking for but that just isn't the case so now I'm back searching for another rod.

At this point I feel as though I need a rod with enough tip to comfortably flip baits down to a 1/2oz while still having the backbone to horse fish out of the pads. I'm fishing up in the Pacific Northwest so I wont be horsing 7lbers of the mats or flipping a 1 1/2oz tungsten, but I will need a rod with enough backbone to horse out a 3lber should it get stuck deep in the lily pad stems. I will probably never be fishing weights over 1oz and will most often be using a 3/4oz tungsten. This is where I feel a moderate action would help me out because it would allow a heavy power rod to have some play in the tip while and allow me to pitch lighter weights.

As for price I wouldn't like to spend over $200. I normally look for rods priced just around $100 but it seems my options are limited for the kind of rod I desire so I'm willing to spend some extra money to get the rod I want. If anyone on here can relate to what I'm talking about and has a rod or two in mind that might fit my needs I would love to hear what it is and how it fishes.

Thanks

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Moderate Flipping Rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:50 pm

This has been the story of my life for YEARS. I live in Northern Michigan and I have been in the same boat as you for years. I will tell you breifly about my journey.

Tatula (gen 1) 7'6" H:
Great rod. Didnt know much of what I wanted for a punch rod. I wanted a longer rod too. I broke the butt of the rod in my truck door. Repaired it with a piece of threaded rod and made it feel even better. The weight balanced it peefectly. Great blend of power and taper (mod fastish) Looking back, this is a great rod I should have held onto.

Custom St Croix Legend Elite 7'6" Mod-Fast Medium Heavy:
This blank/rod can be your ticket. Not sure how the production rod it but, my custom was capable. Light tip with a mod-fast taper that goes into a good backbone. Good for light punching. I wanted a longer rod so, this rod moved to be my jig rod.

Megabass X7 The Destruction 7'11":
Odd lure rating 1/4-2oz. Had the taper I was looking for. A little light in power but doable. I broke it in a non-fishing light tip flex (think I hit it with tungsten on a missed hookset). Handle length and weight/balance was outstanding.

Custom North Fork Composites Flip-766 HM:
This blank is what you are looking for. I really like this blank. Light, semsitve and moderate taper. I balanced the rod and it floats in my had and pitches effortlessly. I also got a NFC X-Ray 7109 as a heavier, longer rod. I ideally would like this blank in 8ft long and maybe a tic more power. Seeing how I use 2 flipping rods, this rod is perfect as a "lighter" punch rod. I suggest this blank if you are gonna build.

Custom North Fork Composites X-Ray 7109:
This rod is quality like the other NFC. This rod got more power than I would like/need. It would be better for people who fish heavier cover and bigger fish. The taper is pretty nice when there is a good load on it. I dont load the rod enough to warrant the punching with it. Also makes a great light swimbait rod.

The quest still continues. Take a look at the Irod Genesis II Bub Punch rod. The "power for the Delta" kinda scares me away
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:24 am

Is there a preferred length you need this rod to be? I'm asking because you can get a Falcon low rider 7'9" heavy power, moderate action for $130. Now the rod is rated 1/2oz to 2oz but I'm willing to bet the rod has enough tip to pitch a 1/2oz weight.
Barlow's Tackle

Backlashed
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Backlashed » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:45 am

Kistler MOD rod works for this, and lots of other big bait applications. Definitely a moderate action. Worth a look IMHO. I have 3 of them that I use for different baits.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:09 am

Hobie, I think you've sold me on the idea of wrapping up one of those NFCs! Sounds like your struggles have been the same as mine over the years but you've been a bit more diligent about coming up with a solution :lol:

Also those Falcons and Kistlers look really sweet and would be right up my wheelhouse. But considering the Kistlers build on NFC as well I could build close to the same thing and save quite a bit. I appreciate being pointed in the right direction guys. The normal brands I'm more familiar with like 13, Daiwa, and Powell just didn't have the described rod I was looking for.

Going to give NFC a call to learn about the 766 vs. the 769!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:28 pm

DenhamBruce wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:09 am
Hobie, I think you've sold me on the idea of wrapping up one of those NFCs! Sounds like your struggles have been the same as mine over the years but you've been a bit more diligent about coming up with a solution :lol:

Also those Falcons and Kistlers look really sweet and would be right up my wheelhouse. But considering the Kistlers build on NFC as well I could build close to the same thing and save quite a bit. I appreciate being pointed in the right direction guys. The normal brands I'm more familiar with like 13, Daiwa, and Powell just didn't have the described rod I was looking for.

Going to give NFC a call to learn about the 766 vs. the 769!
The 769 only comes in IM, which is good. The 766 comes in HM and other graphite. You could extend the 766 using a Winn Handle assembly from Mudhole. Halfoff right now. I dont care for them but, quick and easy.

You may be waiting a whike for the blank though. Idk how long your season is but, it may be like 2 months before you get the blank.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Yeah the ratings on the 766 in IM are a bit wonky and its not rated as heavy as the HM version. After looking at the specs on the 769IM, its almost identical to the 766HM which just doesn't make much sense to me but is why I'm going to inquire about the two.

As for shipping, I'm very familiar with their process. They make some of the nicest blanks in the world but darn if they have a hard time getting them out to the customer! Anyways, I'm sure I could find some uses for that rod during fall twitching up some coho \:D/

Mothra
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothra » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:56 pm

ALX Powerbolt