dippin' my toes in the BFS world

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

dippin' my toes in the BFS world

Post by hotdogin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:41 am

Finally got a reel to match up with my bfs rod and looking for all around recommendations from line, lures, and techniques. The setup is an Alphas Air with a Major Craft Go Emotion GEC-69M/BF 6'9” 1 3/16-1/2 6-16 Regular Fast. Thank you!
just hotdogin it

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: dippin' my toes in the BFS world

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:15 am

Braid is more forgiving for casting. If using 1/8oz and above, I would use FC for it. It will give you enough give to not pull the smaller hooks from fish.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:50 pm

Depends on what your primary baits and presentation are going to be.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:00 am

I guess I could have mentioned that, but that's why I included the rods specs. I was hoping to get some recommendations based on that info. I'll moslyt be throwing topwater, small jerkbaits, and shallow cranks.
just hotdogin it

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:43 pm

If throwing topwater, try finding a low-stretch mono. Will be a good all around line for working topwater (mono floats) and also be able to work reaction baits and such too.

Braid also works with topwater...quite well but, If you got a "stiff" rod with the no-stretch braid, you will loose a lot fish. The smaller trebel hooks do not dig in as much as "bass sized" trebels do.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:07 am

With that rod I would go with braid. You're liable to spool that reel tossing the baits that rod is designed for with the appropriate diameter fluoro.

I have the MS-X 69M/BF and I use an SV105 with it.
This is the way.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:36 am

poisonokie wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:07 am
With that rod I would go with braid. You're liable to spool that reel tossing the baits that rod is designed for with the appropriate diameter fluoro.

I have the MS-X 69M/BF and I use an SV105 with it.
Funny enough I just took an SV105 off the rod in exchange for the Air. Based on your experience what type of lures do you recommend? Same for braid, I've never fished much braid, so what brand do you like, leader, and do you recommend a snap?
just hotdogin it

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:07 pm

With the Air I would use 8-10# j-braid, an 8-10# fluoro leader, and a snap for hardbaits, direct tie for everything else. You should have just enough capacity, should get excellent distance and ease of casting, and you can tie on a nylon leader for topwaters and a fluoro leader for everything else.

I was using 10# Invizx on my sv105, but found that braid is much more manageable on that reel, so I spooled up with some 10# Fireline I had laying around, which is really closer to 20# PP or J-Braid.

If it's anything like mine, you can throw 1/16-3/16 T-Rigs, Senkos and other weightless plastics, finesse jigs and spinnerbaits, 1/4 hardbaits, really anything within the rated weight range works great.

My Air is mounted on the 65L/BF with 8# J-Braid to a 6# Invizx leader.

On the 68ML/BF I use an SV Light with 8# Invizx.
This is the way.