TD Fuego Spools

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

TD Fuego Spools

TD Fuego original Spool
8%
TDZ 100m gigas spool
64%
Red PE Spool
4%
Gold PE Spool
4%
HLC spool
20%

Total votes: 25

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: TD Fuego Spools

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:02 pm

My vote is for the 100M spool. I like it for anything 1/4 oz to 1 oz. It really makes a world of difference vs. the stock spool. It is controlled and gets great distance. I used the Fuego/100M spool combo as a frog reel, and it would really bomb, even with heavy braid. I've had the Stock gold PE spool and the red I'ze PE spool, also. Both are great in a Fuego, but both are shallower, and work well with lighter PE lines. The 100M holds enough heavier mono/flouro, so it's there if you need that capacity. The wide weight range and castability is what got my vote.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:27 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:02 pm
My vote is for the 100M spool. I like it for anything 1/4 oz to 1 oz. It really makes a world of difference vs. the stock spool. It is controlled and gets great distance. I used the Fuego/100M spool combo as a frog reel, and it would really bomb, even with heavy braid. I've had the Stock gold PE spool and the red I'ze PE spool, also. Both are great in a Fuego, but both are shallower, and work well with lighter PE lines. The 100M holds enough heavier mono/flouro, so it's there if you need that capacity. The wide weight range and castability is what got my vote.

That's what I'm looking for then. 1/4 would be the lightest I'd throw with this setup and definitely not over 1oz.
I usually use fluorocarbon and most likely won't have anything under 14 lb on this reel. I have been wanting to try braid but was thinking about trying it on my frog setup or maybe my light finesse setup.

You didn't feel like the 100m was a little choked up like the previous post?

Looks like i need to decide whether I'm going to go with braid or stick to fluorocarbon. Guess I could put backing on the 100m if I wanted to use a lighter braid right?

Also the gold and red PE spools are available at Japan tackle which is convenient. I'm sure I can find a 100m eventually though.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:30 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:51 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:49 am
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:06 am
I was going to suggest the DIY/Rays Zillion spool, but they don't seem to be available any longer. Doesn't look like they make the correct size in the new version.

I like the Red PE spool in my Zillion. Probably pretty good in the Fuego too.
I've seen a few people like it the Fuego/zillion. For you, how was the red PE an improvement over the stock spool? What do you normally fish with it .

Thanks
It will handle much lighter lures and holds less braided line so there isn't so much waste. I only use my OG Zillion for jerk baits and frogs. The spool works well in that capacity. It seems to pitch easily as well. My 100M spool felt very choked off. It could have just been a dirty bearing though.
Looks like I'm going to have to decide what line I want to use. Thanks for the info

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:39 pm

For me, flushing the grease out of the spool bearings and relubing with just a tiny drop of light oil freed up the spool. I was very happy with the performance before then, but it casted even better after that.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:30 pm

Upgrade the spool bearings... even something as simple and relatively inexpensive as the Hedgehog ZR bearings are an improvement over the stock bearings in the 100m and Fuego. If you really want to step it up, I suggest using the Hedgehog AIR or the ZPI. A set of Daiwa #1 Carbontex is a huge improvement over the stock drag on the Fuego as well. All that stuff is in stock at The Tackle Trap... its worth the wait and the search for the 100m spool however.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:17 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:37 am
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:09 am
I personally like the gold PE spool the best. Ive had almost every spool available to fit my TD Zillion, and stuck with the gold PE. It seems to be the best all around casting spool for me. Everyone has a different style, and spools can for sure aid in getting the most out of your reel according to your style.
Thanks

What would say your fishing style is?

Also, in your opinion, what did you like better about it than then 100m spool?
The reel in particular I use for chucking swim jigs, and bigger lures a long distance. To me the PE spool seems to be better for control with the way I cast. The 100m spool seemed to be bit more wild to me for that.
<")))><{

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:31 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:17 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
I personally like the gold PE spool the best. Ive had almost every spool available to fit my TD Zillion, and stuck with the gold PE. It seems to be the best all around casting spool for me. Everyone has a different style, and spools can for sure aid in getting the most out of your reel according to your style.
Thanks

The reel in particular I use for chucking swim jigs, and bigger lures a long distance. To me the PE spool seems to be better for control with the way I cast. The 100m spool seemed to be bit more wild to me for that.
Did you ever throw anything around 3/8oz with either spool? Or only heavier lures?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:34 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:30 pm
Upgrade the spool bearings... even something as simple and relatively inexpensive as the Hedgehog ZR bearings are an improvement over the stock bearings in the 100m and Fuego. If you really want to step it up, I suggest using the Hedgehog AIR or the ZPI. A set of Daiwa #1 Carbontex is a huge improvement over the stock drag on the Fuego as well. All that stuff is in stock at The Tackle Trap... its worth the wait and the search for the 100m spool however.
I'll definitely upgrade the bearings (or find someone to help me with the spool bearing). I think I can do the carbontex myself. I really like the Zpi bearings but those are the only bearings I've tried besides the original bearings on any of my reels. I'd like to try the hedgehog zr or air.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:18 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:31 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Thanks

Did you ever throw anything around 3/8oz with either spool? Or only heavier lures?
The swim jigs 1/2oz, plus trailer, on 30lb braid.
<")))><{

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:07 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:18 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:31 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Thanks

The swim jigs 1/2oz, plus trailer, on 30lb braid.
Got it.

Thanks

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:20 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:41 am
adam lancia wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:42 am
Just a note to go with my vote for the 100M. Add an R+ inductor and HLC spring and that'll make it an amazingly versatile spool. Really frees it up without making it unnecessarily wild.
Besides the 100m spool being hard to find, is the r+ inductor available from online sources?
I was able to get a couple of inductors directly from Daiwa but that was a little while ago. I've heard that their parts supply side of things hasn't been on the ball lately. You might want to call and find out if you can get it. The stock inductor isn't bad by any stretch, it's just that the R+ really frees it up without making it insane.

One other thing you might want to know about is that there are two red PE Special spools. One is the I'ze Factory one that isn't ported, and the other is the stock spool that comes with the red and blue 7.9 PE Special (it's slotted). That might be the one some folks are thinking about when commenting. The stock, slotted spool is harder to come by.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:06 am

adam lancia wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:20 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
Just a note to go with my vote for the 100M. Add an R+ inductor and HLC spring and that'll make it an amazingly versatile spool. Really frees it up without making it unnecessarily wild.
Besides the 100m spool being hard to find, is the r+ inductor available from online sources?
I was able to get a couple of inductors directly from Daiwa but that was a little while ago. I've heard that their parts supply side of things hasn't been on the ball lately. You might want to call and find out if you can get it. The stock inductor isn't bad by any stretch, it's just that the R+ really frees it up without making it insane.

One other thing you might want to know about is that there are two red PE Special spools. One is the I'ze Factory one that isn't ported, and the other is the stock spool that comes with the red and blue 7.9 PE Special (it's slotted). That might be the one some folks are thinking about when commenting. The stock, slotted spool is harder to come by.
I ended up buying a 100m spool but is this the red PE Spool that you were referring to?

https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/sp ... 00983.html

It's the one I meant when I started the post. I actually didn't know about the I'ze red PE Spool. Thanks for the info.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:51 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:06 am
adam lancia wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
adam lancia wrote:

I ended up buying a 100m spool but is this the red PE Spool that you were referring to?

It's the one I meant when I started the post. I actually didn't know about the I'ze red PE Spool. Thanks for the info.
Yup that's the one.

Enjoy the 100M stock, but try to get an R+ inductor and HLC spring, just for fun :big grin:

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:00 am

adam lancia wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:51 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:06 am
adam lancia wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
adam lancia wrote:

Yup that's the one.

Enjoy the 100M stock, but try to get an R+ inductor and HLC spring, just for fun :big grin:

Would this work? Or is the HLC spring still needed?

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... d4fef805f4

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 am

My vote is for the 100m as well. Haven't tried it in the fuego yet, but in my zillion type r it just sings to me. Got it loaded with 65lb jbraid 8 and it bombs.