Building the Ultimate BFS Rod

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Building the Ultimate BFS Rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:49 am

So...

I have a set of AGS guides from my Daiwa Silver Creek AGS. I broke the tip on the rod and now, the guides may be getting stripped for a custom build.

I have an NFC 4'6 UL blank (IM in their Freshwater series). I already have all the components to build this rod (non-AGS guides, reel seat, grips...).

Question is...Do I go all out for this build? It will most likely be my last custom for a while and I would like it to be really nice. I would like some ideas for the build (colors, components and such). I am thinking carbon grips and then some snazzy looking bling but, keeping it close to a minimalist build to capture as much sensitivity as well. May even extend it a few inches, as I longed for my other 4'6 NFC to be a little longer.

Thanks
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Building the Ultimate BFS Rod

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:34 am

I tend to go by this rule when I am building anything from a rod to making baits.........I have to fish it first......so I build the best I can using the best I can afford. Why build something inferior if you can help it?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:21 am

I think with carbon grips and guides that you should black the whole rod out. Use black, maybe gunmetal, thread wraps and checks and leave the blank as bare as possible. Unless you know for sure which reel you're gonna use, then maybe lightly sprinkle in a few matching highlights from whatever anodized parts are on it.
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:09 am

poisonokie wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:21 am
I think with carbon grips and guides that you should black the whole rod out. Use black, maybe gunmetal, thread wraps and checks and leave the blank as bare as possible. Unless you know for sure which reel you're gonna use, then maybe lightly sprinkle in a few matching highlights from whatever anodized parts are on it.
I will be using a Daiwa SS AIR. That doesnt mean it will be permanent though.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:12 am

earthworm77 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:34 am
I tend to go by this rule when I am building anything from a rod to making baits.........I have to fish it first......so I build the best I can using the best I can afford. Why build something inferior if you can help it?
I have fished this exact blank in the past. I wish it was a little lighter in power but, it is perfect for gills and those trout 9in and bigger.

I want this to be an awesome build. I like the black out idea. maybe a little more pizzazz but, Im flexible.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:47 am

CFX carbon grips are perfect for lightest builds. I use those butt grips as rear grip also.

Here's my lightest rod atm. It's built with CFX grips and Rodcraft skeleton seat. Blank is modified Bushido CB68/6-12 cut donw to 6'- Rod weights 65g (2,3oz). Cast nicely 3-15g.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:57 am

MardukFin, that is a beautiful rod and combo =D> =D> =D>

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:05 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:09 am
poisonokie wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:21 am
I will be using a Daiwa SS AIR. That doesnt mean it will be permanent though.
In that case, it would look awesome with a matte/raw carbon finish and maybe one red thread on each wrap. Or something.
This is the way.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:08 am

I've gone so minimalist on my custom rods that my builder is upset that he doesn't get to show his talent. :lol: It seems like every rod that I had built that was made to match a reel didn't end up being a long match.
My builds over the last three or four years have all been black with a touch of silver, or all black. The only wrapping on my rods is a single wrap on the guides. The reel seats are cut as flush as possible with the fore grip nut and nothing but a winding check in front of that. I also like as little clear coat as possible. I'm a full cork rear fan, but I would be willing to try the carbon grips without much split if I was building a really light BFS rod with AGS guides.
I'm in the same situation as the OP because I am thinking about having a really light BFS rod made.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:38 pm

toddmc wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:08 am
I've gone so minimalist on my custom rods that my builder is upset that he doesn't get to show his talent. :lol: It seems like every rod that I had built that was made to match a reel didn't end up being a long match.
My builds over the last three or four years have all been black with a touch of silver, or all black. The only wrapping on my rods is a single wrap on the guides. The reel seats are cut as flush as possible with the fore grip nut and nothing but a winding check in front of that. I also like as little clear coat as possible. I'm a full cork rear fan, but I would be willing to try the carbon grips without much split if I was building a really light BFS rod with AGS guides.
I'm in the same situation as the OP because I am thinking about having a really light BFS rod made.
Thats usually how I build my rods. I wouldnt mind a little more decor than my other builds.

I will be cutting the guides off tonight and get the guide spacing down. Probably do more research into reels seats and such tonight too

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:50 pm

I always build the reel 1st, then design the rod around it to match. This becomes a permanent pairing, but I make certain the reel is exactly how I want it before diving in.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:55 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:38 pm
toddmc wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:08 am
Thats usually how I build my rods. I wouldnt mind a little more decor than my other builds.

I will be cutting the guides off tonight and get the guide spacing down. Probably do more research into reels seats and such tonight too
The Fuji SKT seat is light, but it can be very uncomfortable for some. The one custom rod that I have with the SKT took quite a bit of tennis racquet tape as an arbor, and on the fore grip, to get it comfortable. The SKT seat feels really nice with the Alphas platform because it is so small. It disappears in the hand. I would cut the threads flush. This helps with the comfort.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:15 pm

MardukFIN wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:47 am
CFX carbon grips are perfect for lightest builds. I use those butt grips as rear grip also.

Here's my lightest rod atm. It's built with CFX grips and Rodcraft skeleton seat. Blank is modified Bushido CB68/6-12 cut donw to 6'- Rod weights 65g (2,3oz). Cast nicely 3-15g.

How is that little carbon grip, comfort wise?

I like the idea of having barebones components.

I should mention, I will be able to use the iridescent Air Beam reel seat from the Daiwa Silver Creek AGS the guides are coming from. Although a one piece, they are comfortable reel seats and usually highly talked about. I like the reel seat too. Could have problems selecting a color scheme to go with it.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Well i dont need more grip cause i hold reel like this.

Both of these split grips are these: https://www.mudhole.com/CFX-Composite-C ... -Butt-Grip
2,35".
Got some AGS guides too. Woudnt use those to UL rod. Guide feet is so wide that wrapping would be pain.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:04 am

MardukFIN wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:21 pm
Well i dont need more grip cause i hold reel like this.

Both of these split grips are these: https://www.mudhole.com/CFX-Composite-C ... -Butt-Grip
2,35".
Got some AGS guides too. Woudnt use those to UL rod. Guide feet is so wide that wrapping would be pain.
Awww....good point on the AGS feet. I also choke up on my reel when fishing.