TD Fuego Spools

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

TD Fuego Spools

TD Fuego original Spool
8%
TDZ 100m gigas spool
64%
Red PE Spool
4%
Gold PE Spool
4%
HLC spool
20%

Total votes: 25

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: TD Fuego Spools

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:07 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:00 am

Would this work? Or is the HLC spring still needed?

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... d4fef805f4
Oh nice, that's perfect! The spring that comes with that will work well.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:41 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 am
My vote is for the 100m as well. Haven't tried it in the fuego yet, but in my zillion type r it just sings to me. Got it loaded with 65lb jbraid 8 and it bombs.
I ended up finding a 100m spool so I'll be putting it in the Fuego. I usually use fluorocarbon but I've been wanting to try braid so maybe I'll try it out on this setup. Thanks for the info.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:43 am

adam lancia wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:07 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:00 am

Would this work? Or is the HLC spring still needed?

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... d4fef805f4
Oh nice, that's perfect! The spring that comes with that will work well.
I'm going to try it the way it is first but maybe I'll buy one of these kits too and compare.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Got the 100m spool installed. Now I just need to fish it.

Separate issue but I also installed a td-z 90mm handle (which is awesome with the bearings). After installing I noticed I can push or pull out on the handle and it moves a little. Don't notice it while reeling but is it normal?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:26 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:20 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:41 am
adam lancia wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:42 am
Just a note to go with my vote for the 100M. Add an R+ inductor and HLC spring and that'll make it an amazingly versatile spool. Really frees it up without making it unnecessarily wild.
Besides the 100m spool being hard to find, is the r+ inductor available from online sources?
I was able to get a couple of inductors directly from Daiwa but that was a little while ago. I've heard that their parts supply side of things hasn't been on the ball lately. You might want to call and find out if you can get it. The stock inductor isn't bad by any stretch, it's just that the R+ really frees it up without making it insane.

One other thing you might want to know about is that there are two red PE Special spools. One is the I'ze Factory one that isn't ported, and the other is the stock spool that comes with the red and blue 7.9 PE Special (it's slotted). That might be the one some folks are thinking about when commenting. The stock, slotted spool is harder to come by.
I run both PE spools in my zillion
They are equally hard to come buy. Once I sold the no ported spool and had such huge regret. That when I found on it cost me
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:26 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Separate issue but I also installed a td-z 90mm handle (which is awesome with the bearings). After installing I noticed I can push or pull out on the handle and it moves a little. Don't notice it while reeling but is it normal?
Some reels do that, some not so much. If it bothers you, you can cut a piece of plastic shim and place under the driveshaft on top of the felt washer.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:46 pm

It doesn't really bother me. Just wanted to fix it if it was broken. Thanks

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:26 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Some reels do that, some not so much. If it bothers you, you can cut a piece of plastic shim and place under the driveshaft on top of the felt washer.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:59 am

A little late to the party, but I run an HLC spool currently. It is on a XX Braillist and does wonderful pitching and casting.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:58 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:59 am
A little late to the party, but I run an HLC spool currently. It is on a XX Braillist and does wonderful pitching and casting.
Is there more than one HLC spool?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:40 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:58 pm
Tokugawa wrote:
Yup, there are two. One with dimples that is stock with the OG HLC reel and the I'ze Factory spool that is drilled.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:43 am

adam lancia wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:40 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:58 pm
Tokugawa wrote:
Yup, there are two. One with dimples that is stock with the OG HLC reel and the I'ze Factory spool that is drilled.
And they perform differently. The dimpled OG spool is faster and bit more wild.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:12 am

Ok, so I have a new question but it goes with this thread. I have the 100m spool but picked up a set of 36 to 34mm spacers (thought I might want to mess around with the reel more someday).

Has anyone used spacers with the TD Fuego? If so any spool recommendations? Is there anything to gain over the 100m or should I just leave it alone?

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:30 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:12 am
Ok, so I have a new question but it goes with this thread. I have the 100m spool but picked up a set of 36 to 34mm spacers (thought I might want to mess around with the reel more someday).

Has anyone used spacers with the TD Fuego? If so any spool recommendations? Is there anything to gain over the 100m or should I just leave it alone?
I’ve actually done exactly this, and I’ve got a TD Ito 103M spool coming in to mess around with, I’m curious to see how the R tuned inductor works with the Fuego. Alternatively I have an R+ spring laying around I might swap in if the stock setup proves too picky. I’m imagining the only noticeable improvement in that platform is going to come more from the inductor than anything else, unless you decide to throw a 34MM BFS style spool in. Keep us updated on what you end up doing!

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:33 pm

Bass Junkie wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:30 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:12 am

I’ve actually done exactly this, and I’ve got a TD Ito 103M spool coming in to mess around with, I’m curious to see how the R tuned inductor works with the Fuego. Alternatively I have an R+ spring laying around I might swap in if the stock setup proves too picky. I’m imagining the only noticeable improvement in that platform is going to come more from the inductor than anything else, unless you decide to throw a 34MM BFS style spool in. Keep us updated on what you end up doing!
I think I'm going to keep the 100m spool in it for now but I'd be interested in hearing what you find works in your Fuego. Im thinking a steez 103 or tdz r+ spool but maybe some kind of sv spool. I'm not sure what other rrel the Fuego magnets Compare to.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:37 pm

I run an OG zillion spool in it.. I am fishing traps 1/2 ,5/8, 3/4 and better and have had no issues
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible