Daiwa reels - gaudy or sexy?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa reels - gaudy or sexy?

Post by bwjay » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:32 am

I've noticed a lot of people here seem to reeeeally like Daiwa reels, but I haven't yet pieced together all of the reasons why. Despite some reels seeming to be excellent performers, I can't get over how flashy some of them are. I would be pretty interested in some Daiwa reels if they didn't have a bunch of colored accents on them. I was looking at the Morethan recently, but the gold accents and clashing red lettering on the housing is, to me, aesthetically poor. The Zillion SV TW is a reel I was interested in, but the dark blue housing with gold/red accents is not for me. The spinning Tatula is a gorgeous reel with its matte black looks, but this understated look seems uncommon in the higher end Daiwa offerings. Speaking of matte, I don't know if it's just the official product photos, but a lot of Daiwa reels, even the high end ones, look very shiny, in a cheap way.

What do you think? Does the "bling" of Daiwa reels appeal to you? Do you wish you could get Daiwa reels in all-black or only monochrome accents? Are there some awesome Daiwa reels with only monochrome accents? Are there ways to mod the reels to get rid of the colored accents? Do aesthetics even matter to you?

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa reels - gaudy or sexy?

Post by timinmo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:02 am

Some of the combinations do not appeal to me. At the same time the SLX is not appealing and I am not at all sure about the Antares while the Tranx just looks cheap to my eyes. Of course we could all have "Ike" reels.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:38 am

I don't think they're blingy enough stock.

Thanks, Hedgehog Studio!
This is the way.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:02 am

I love my Daiwas and the spool options.

The Steez logo, however, total lack of style, ugliest and trashiest thing ever... Unfathomable.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:08 am

bwjay wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:32 am
I've noticed a lot of people here seem to reeeeally like Daiwa reels, but I haven't yet pieced together all of the reasons why. Despite some reels seeming to be excellent performers, I can't get over how flashy some of them are. I would be pretty interested in some Daiwa reels if they didn't have a bunch of colored accents on them. I was looking at the Morethan recently, but the gold accents and clashing red lettering on the housing is, to me, aesthetically poor. The Zillion SV TW is a reel I was interested in, but the dark blue housing with gold/red accents is not for me. The spinning Tatula is a gorgeous reel with its matte black looks, but this understated look seems uncommon in the higher end Daiwa offerings. Speaking of matte, I don't know if it's just the official product photos, but a lot of Daiwa reels, even the high end ones, look very shiny, in a cheap way.

What do you think? Does the "bling" of Daiwa reels appeal to you? Do you wish you could get Daiwa reels in all-black or only monochrome accents? Are there some awesome Daiwa reels with only monochrome accents? Are there ways to mod the reels to get rid of the colored accents? Do aesthetics even matter to you?
Yes it does. I build my own rods and quite often i'll build rod to match colors with reel. Daiwa uses accents as show speed of a reel. If you're familiar with Daiwa baitcasters, you know that gold = 6.3, red = 7.1 (or 7.3) and purple = 8.1.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:16 pm

I'm a man of simple pleasures and some colour scheme's that remain in gentlemanly...

I don't appreciate things that look like they've been coloured by a 4th grader with a jumbo box of crayons, but I do like the newer offerings with their straight colour scheme's - especially those that Batman would approve of...

But each to their own, life's about individual choices and pleasures.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:49 pm

I don't consider Daiwa reels falshy. It's nice to have the limitless options to build them however you like. Spools, longevity, performance and design are what parks me at camp Daiwa. The whole gaudy thing really barrels down to personal preferences. You can make them all black, black and silver, etc, if that's your thing.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:11 pm

I'm just sick of the anodized red on Daiwa and Shimano reels...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:59 pm

I dont think Daiwa reels are too flashy. That being said, I do tend to remove color parts on some of my customized reels, making them all "grayscale". Black, silver, gray and white....some combination of those just looks classy to me, understated but beautiful. I do, however, have a tricked-out Aird Red Tune that borders on blinding in bright sunlight....lol
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:01 pm

I use both shimano and daiwa reels every time I'm out fishing. I think the shape and lines of reels is what appeals to me and I would consider "sexy" :lol: As for color I do like my reels to come from the factory more simple, and like to add my own colored parts to my reel as I see fit. Some of the added aftermarket spools, and other colored parts will actually reduce the overall weight of a reel and help in slight balancing adjustments. Removing 8-12g from a reel will do a lot. Some of the reels out there from either company just don't appeal to me. I buy what I like, and modify from there. If you seen my collection all my reels would probably be considered "gaudy". This topic just reminds me of "Office Space" and the 30 pieces of flair. To each their own.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:13 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:11 pm
I'm just sick of the anodized red on Daiwa and Shimano reels...
I agree 100 percent thats why I went in a different direction and I have a flat black everything IS79
Attachments
Image-75.jpeg
Image-75.jpeg (81.06 KiB) Viewed 8276 times
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:19 pm

one KTF Kahen spool and one Blue

I've got more school work to do, wish there was a class where recess consisted of fishing :-({|= :-({|=
Attachments
Image-92.jpeg
blue frame screws.
Image-92.jpeg (65.65 KiB) Viewed 8272 times
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:15 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:19 pm

I've got more school work to do, wish there was a class where recess consisted of fishing :-({|= :-({|=
Are those 1st generation Cumaras? Daiwa on Shimano eh? A lot of folks consider that a cardinal sin, but I'm down with it. Shimano makes excellent rod blanks, and the Cumara was no exception.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:52 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:15 pm
goldrod wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:19 pm

Are those 1st generation Cumaras? Daiwa on Shimano eh? A lot of folks consider that a cardinal sin, but I'm down with it. Shimano makes excellent rod blanks, and the Cumara was no exception.

Yes first generation cumaras
I needed a test platform and they are excellent for that.
The BE is on a med fast and Kahen on a medhvy
They were my first good rods and afterwards came the old IMX843. I like the Cumara gen 1 blanks. I find more uses for them now than before. There something about how a Steez reel fits on the rods that I like and ended up putting the D7’s on the Helium 3 rods and most Daiwa’s on the megabass Rods.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:57 pm

Not overly fussed with the flash colour schemes myself, but, I would be happier if the colours were at least consistent across SLP, Daiwa, RCS etc.