Daiwa reels - gaudy or sexy?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa reels - gaudy or sexy?

Post by Winstondry » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:05 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:11 pm
I'm just sick of the anodized red on Daiwa and Shimano reels...
Probably a good thing I'm photo sharing challenged here on TT, you'd puke seeing all the red parts on my Daiwas! :big grin:

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:30 pm

not gaudy just pure sex,

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:30 pm

Winstondry wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:05 pm
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Probably a good thing I'm photo sharing challenged here on TT, you'd puke seeing all the red parts on my Daiwas! :big grin:
:sick:

I do have a tuned up customs ice rod that I had wrapped with red threading to match the CI4 1000 that looks pretty sweet.
Last edited by BRONZEBACK32 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:58 pm

No problems here. I've been known to make a "flashy" reel just a bit more "flashy".

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:16 am

Winstondry wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:05 pm
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Red and black is best combo. Here's my Bushido without guides yet.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:35 am

Wonder if the OP knew how quickly this would turn into the "who's got the flashiest Daiwa" thread... :lol:
This is the way.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:37 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:35 am
Wonder if the OP knew how quickly this would turn into the "who's got the flashiest Daiwa" thread... :lol:
😂
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:01 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Haha, this thread did somewhat confirm that most Daiwa fans do like the flashiness. I personally find it over the top in most cases, and the colors even clash in a lot of cases too. But hey, if you gotta accept clashing bling to get interchangeable spools, then that's what you gotta do, I guess.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:09 pm

bwjay wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:01 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Haha, this thread did somewhat confirm that most Daiwa fans do like the flashiness. I personally find it over the top in most cases, and the colors even clash in a lot of cases too. But hey, if you gotta accept clashing bling to get interchangeable spools, then that's what you gotta do, I guess.
Evidently, it's highly subjective. I see no clashing bling in my collection. Reading through the thread, I see nothing that supports or confirms Daiwa fans like flashiness. Again, it sounds more personal.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:49 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:09 pm
bwjay wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:01 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Evidently, it's highly subjective. I see no clashing bling in my collection. Reading through the thread, I see nothing that supports or confirms Daiwa fans like flashiness. Again, it sounds more personal.
There's plenty of people who say they like the bright colors and some who even think it's not enough. Maybe it's not the overwhelming consensus but there are more than enough people confirming it in this thread. Either way I didn't mean to insult anyone for it and it is very much a personal choice. My main gripe with it is that some Daiwa reels would be pretty attractive to me in terms of features and design if they weren't stylized the way they are, and I can't/won't accept the given colors or styles to get those features. :(

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:04 am

I'm down with the flash. I personally find the muted schemes by Shimano to be boring. All about personal taste.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:38 am

1- a ton of limited edition reels that looks "special"
2- magz/magv/SV are the best braking systems that not only can be had on cheap reels, but they also exist for ~20 years at this point. The current shimano centrifugal system is as good, but how long did it took em to have it? It only been around since 2016 or so.
3- Expensive carbon handles/cork knobs on standard reels. Shimano have never even made a reel with a carbon handle... something i simply don't understand.
4- swappable spools. Having access to a range of spools that were made from late 90's to 2019 is pretty damn good.

When im bank fishing with my custom td ito, people spot it from a mile and ask me how much i paid for it. I tell em to not worry about it :mrgreen:

ResoKP
Angler
Angler

Post by ResoKP » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:54 am

Morethan aesthetics...

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:17 am

ResoKP wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:54 am
Morethan aesthetics...

Nope, try again, way too much clash going on here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gorgeous combos, I personally don't get what the OP is alluring to.
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:02 am

Those colors totally match. I don't have an issue with that. I still don't like the red lettering on the Morethan, though, and the shine still looks cheap to me, but I haven't seen one in person unfortunately. I mentioned the Zillion SV TW with the blue body and red/orange accents. I think those colors clash regardless of what rod you put it on. Not every Daiwa reel looks bad though ;)