Steez XBD SVF Discontinued?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Steez XBD SVF Discontinued?

Post by domthewon » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi Guys,
I may be outta the loop on this one, but is the 741 XBD SVF frog rod discontinued? I let my buddy use mine on my boat and when setting the hook on a fish on a different rod he knocked it in the water and it sank like a rock. I won't even mention the reel that's gone. I've been looking around and nobody has them anymore. It's been a staple in my frog game for so long I really want another. Is the XBD AGS the replacement model now?
Thanks
Dom

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez XBD SVF Discontinued?

Post by poisonokie » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:44 pm

How deep was the water?
This is the way.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:14 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:44 pm
How deep was the water?
We were fishing frogs on a lake around coves and open water off points. Major drop-off went from shoreline and to where we were sitting was close to 80 ft deep an only about 20 ft off the bank with a nice ledge. We were getting some major air jaws action out of the spotted bass. I put spot lock on took a treble off a deps ss250 ( biggest I had aboard) texas rigged and tried Mike longing it, but no luck. My graphs are ok but the rod blended in really well to the structure. I just don't fish that lake often and won't be back for a while since home base for me is the Delta. This was the first combo I've ever lost, and one of the last ones I would have wanted to lose due to the reel that was mounted. He owes me big time. The reel is virtually irreplaceable. I know I won't find another which is why I was curious about the rod.

BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFisher83 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:30 am

domthewon wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:14 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:44 pm
How deep was the water?
We were fishing frogs on a lake around coves and open water off points. Major drop-off went from shoreline and to where we were sitting was close to 80 ft deep an only about 20 ft off the bank with a nice ledge. We were getting some major air jaws action out of the spotted bass. I put spot lock on took a treble off a deps ss250 ( biggest I had aboard) texas rigged and tried Mike longing it, but no luck. My graphs are ok but the rod blended in really well to the structure. I just don't fish that lake often and won't be back for a while since home base for me is the Delta. This was the first combo I've ever lost, and one of the last ones I would have wanted to lose due to the reel that was mounted. He owes me big time. The reel is virtually irreplaceable. I know I won't find another which is why I was curious about the rod.
Well now you have to tell us the reel...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:46 am

Lol, Mike Longing it...

That's a huge bummer.
This is the way.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:16 am

domthewon wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:46 pm
Hi Guys,
I may be outta the loop on this one, but is the 741 XBD SVF frog rod discontinued? I let my buddy use mine on my boat and when setting the hook on a fish on a different rod he knocked it in the water and it sank like a rock. I won't even mention the reel that's gone. I've been looking around and nobody has them anymore. It's been a staple in my frog game for so long I really want another. Is the XBD AGS the replacement model now?
Thanks
Dom
Great rod, sorry to see it gone. I fished that rod a lot, and yes, the new AGS is the replacement, and in my hands, it's a very nice upgrade...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:44 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:46 am
Lol, Mike Longing it...

That's a huge bummer.
Yeah I hate the word snagging now so I’m replacing that word with the Kings name. Kinda like how people call the toilet the John. About the loss it is what it is. Nobody made me strap a Honda Civic to my frog rod. Anything like that is an accident. He would never do it on purpose and knew right away how big of an oops it was. On the way home he told me how surprised he was that I stayed calm and didn’t cry knowing that the reel was my precious. Worst of all I have no pics of the reel anymore because I lost my phone in June and never upgraded my iCloud. I will get another XBD though discontinued or not.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:05 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:16 am
domthewon wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:46 pm
Hi Guys,
Thanks
Dom
Great rod, sorry to see it gone. I fished that rod a lot, and yes, the new AGS is the replacement, and in my hands, it's a very nice upgrade...
Thanks brother. I knew I should have just asked you in the first place. Gonna grab me an AGS than, but still will find an XBD for sentimental reasons.
Thanks again

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:31 pm

domthewon wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:44 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Lol, Mike Longing it...

That's a huge bummer.
Yeah I hate the word snagging now so I’m replacing that word with the Kings name. Kinda like how people call the toilet the John. About the loss it is what it is. Nobody made me strap a Honda Civic to my frog rod. Anything like that is an accident. He would never do it on purpose and knew right away how big of an oops it was. On the way home he told me how surprised he was that I stayed calm and didn’t cry knowing that the reel was my precious. Worst of all I have no pics of the reel anymore because I lost my phone in June and never upgraded my iCloud. I will get another XBD though discontinued or not.
That's also why they call toilets Crappers.

A Honda Civic? Holy Hell! Now I gotta know, too. Was it a racing viola or something?
This is the way.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:30 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:31 pm
domthewon wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:44 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Lol, Mike Longing it...

That's a huge bummer.
That's also why they call toilets Crappers.

A Honda Civic? Holy Hell! Now I gotta know, too. Was it a racing viola or something?
Now you wanna bring back hurt feelings... :crying: :lol: I should have said old Honda Civic :doh: . No not "THE" unicorn, but not far off. I never was lucky enough to get that one. Unfortunately it was a MB racing condition HG68 HL and purchased early June, a week before the phone went bye bye, and definitely not for only the retail price even though it was used. It was the only MB round reel I owned and cared to own besides the Viola. Also the only lefty i've seen. If only it was made of a different metal I'd go back to my spot with a strong magnet from the auction site and try and fish it up. For the lucky few that still have one they can be assured the value will go up with one less out there. If that XBD frog rod wasn't as special to me I would have never mounted it on that rod. The mojo was incredibly strong with that one which is why my friend wanted to use it. I had 11 on the frog to his 2. He put it down to pick up the drop shot which instantly was an instant bass fiesta, and started the chain of events that made me start this thread.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:00 pm

:shock:

Might look into scuba diving...
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:26 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:00 pm

That was my thought, find someone who dives, either free or with tanks. Their fee would likely be a lot less than the worth of that combo.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:34 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:26 pm
poisonokie wrote:

That was my thought, find someone who dives, either free or with tanks. Their fee would likely be a lot less than the worth of that combo.
To be honest It will be a year til I can even get back there. It was our annual trip. 3 Lakes in 7 days to get our break from fishing the Delta. We hit Oroville, Clearlake, and Berryessa. My vacation is shot for the year til at least December. I'd have to drive an hour and a half one way to pick up my boat and drive around 2-3 in the other direction to get there plus the return trip. Hiring a diver, and hopefully retrieving it. I have a busy life outside of fishing between family and work, and would hate to explain to my lady that I gotta take off to go pick up a combo that costs almost as much as the mortgage from the bottom of a lake. ](*,) We have a joint account for bills, but also our own accounts. She sees the prices on fishing equipment at Wallyworld, and Basspro not my JDM invoices :lol:. I've chalked it up as a loss. My time is valuable, and the time I can spend with my family means more than all of my equipment put together. I'd give it all up to the bottom of a lake for them. If I was capable of ignoring my responsibilities I wouldn't have came home without the beat up Honda or my rod. We thought about the diver deal while out there, but our time of fun and games was up, and stayed as long as we could giving our best effort. Even though the reel is super rare and costly the thing is I miss the rod a whole lot more than the reel for what it's done for me. A teener bass, many bags in the high 30's, a whole lotta good times, and some decent places in some tournaments. I've mentioned in some other posts that 2019 for me was the year of no more shelf queens, and I've been sticking to it. If I buy it or own it I'm gonna fish it just like it was a Wallyworld combo except with rod and reel covers, and a soft mat to keep them from getting damaged on my deck. Losing one over the edge just goes with the game, like getting a hook in yourself, or losing a PB at the boat. In 30+ years of fishing It is the only combo I've ever lost, and I started when I was 8. I've had a combo stolen off the deck of my boat at a tournament but that's another story. I'm doing my best in life to think in only a positive light. Some years ago I probably would have went about the situation in a completely different way when family and fishing weren't as important to me. Today it is my sacrifice to the fishing gods. I'm thankful for everything positive fishing has brought into my life, and the lessons it has taught me, friends i've made, and respect I have for nature, myself, and others around me. My friend has already more than made up for it to me with a few nice things on the way from Japan, and done more for me over the years than I'd ever ask of anyone including my family. It might haunt me one day, but right now I'm ok with never getting them back. The memories of the good times i've had and the fish I caught are something that i will never lose. It's time for a new rod and reel to make some new memories for me, and become the next Steez XBD SVF in my arsenal of weapons of bass destruction.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:38 pm

domthewon wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:34 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
poisonokie wrote:

To be honest It will be a year til I can even get back there. It was our annual trip. 3 Lakes in 7 days to get our break from fishing the Delta. We hit Oroville, Clearlake, and Berryessa. My vacation is shot for the year til at least December. I'd have to drive an hour and a half one way to pick up my boat and drive around 2-3 in the other direction to get there plus the return trip. Hiring a diver, and hopefully retrieving it. I have a busy life outside of fishing between family and work, and would hate to explain to my lady that I gotta take off to go pick up a combo that costs almost as much as the mortgage from the bottom of a lake. ](*,) We have a joint account for bills, but also our own accounts. She sees the prices on fishing equipment at Wallyworld, and Basspro not my JDM invoices :lol:. I've chalked it up as a loss. My time is valuable, and the time I can spend with my family means more than all of my equipment put together. I'd give it all up to the bottom of a lake for them. If I was capable of ignoring my responsibilities I wouldn't have came home without the beat up Honda or my rod. We thought about the diver deal while out there, but our time of fun and games was up, and stayed as long as we could giving our best effort. Even though the reel is super rare and costly the thing is I miss the rod a whole lot more than the reel for what it's done for me. A teener bass, many bags in the high 30's, a whole lotta good times, and some decent places in some tournaments. I've mentioned in some other posts that 2019 for me was the year of no more shelf queens, and I've been sticking to it. If I buy it or own it I'm gonna fish it just like it was a Wallyworld combo except with rod and reel covers, and a soft mat to keep them from getting damaged on my deck. Losing one over the edge just goes with the game, like getting a hook in yourself, or losing a PB at the boat. In 30+ years of fishing It is the only combo I've ever lost, and I started when I was 8. I've had a combo stolen off the deck of my boat at a tournament but that's another story. I'm doing my best in life to think in only a positive light. Some years ago I probably would have went about the situation in a completely different way when family and fishing weren't as important to me. Today it is my sacrifice to the fishing gods. I'm thankful for everything positive fishing has brought into my life, and the lessons it has taught me, friends i've made, and respect I have for nature, myself, and others around me. My friend has already more than made up for it to me with a few nice things on the way from Japan, and done more for me over the years than I'd ever ask of anyone including my family. It might haunt me one day, but right now I'm ok with never getting them back. The memories of the good times i've had and the fish I caught are something that i will never lose. It's time for a new rod and reel to make some new memories for me, and become the next Steez XBD SVF in my arsenal of weapons of bass destruction.
=D> You the man Dom, very inspirational... :hugs:
Now, if you can PM me those GPS coordinates... :big grin:

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:57 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:38 pm
domthewon wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:34 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
poisonokie wrote:

=D> You the man Dom, very inspirational... :hugs:
Now, if you can PM me those GPS coordinates... :big grin:
:lol:
Thanks bro! After me buried treasure are we...X. Some local boys in a nice older Champion already beat you to it. While we were trying to get it they were fishing pretty close by and asked if we were ok and what we were doing since I’m sure it didn’t look like we were fishing normally. I’m sure they knew it’s a productive spot cause they were cruising around another point that was close by probably waiting for us to leave. I told them what was down there and if they find it they can have it. They said they’d be back for it and I believe them, and actually hope they get it and it brings them luck or $.