Part of the club now

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Part of the club now

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:52 am

Yesterday, I received my first ever steez 103ha and I was more than ecstatic! Got the reel for a great price without a spool because I already own several 34mm options. It was delivered to my work and all I wanted to do was cross the street and hit the lake. Spooled up a sv103 spool (With r+ spring) with 30lb power pro and tied on a 3/8ths swim jig. I was pitching to overhangs and laydowns like a fricken pro. The weight is amazing, the feel of the reel is amazing, the retrieve is the smoothest I've felt, just everything about this reel is great (well I'm going to switch out that handle for a 90mm carbon one).

Im going to continue to fish it this weekend and try several spools; steez 103 r+, ito 103 r, 1016, gigas, mx. Any advice or opinions would be great. At the end of the weekend, I'll break her down, and do a full clean. Not sure if anything has been done. I've got a new set of carbontex I'll throw in if it needs it. I just added red knobs and dig it, well see what comes next. I'm in love!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Part of the club now

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:17 am

Be careful with that Ito spool. Its very fast and the magnets in a steez are weak. That can spell disaster without careful thumb work.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:42 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:17 am
Be careful with that Ito spool. Its very fast and the magnets in a steez are weak. That can spell disaster without careful thumb work.
Thank you!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:59 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:52 am
Yesterday, I received my first ever steez 103ha and I was more than ecstatic! Got the reel for a great price without a spool because I already own several 34mm options. It was delivered to my work and all I wanted to do was cross the street and hit the lake. Spooled up a sv103 spool (With r+ spring) with 30lb power pro and tied on a 3/8ths swim jig. I was pitching to overhangs and laydowns like a fricken pro. The weight is amazing, the feel of the reel is amazing, the retrieve is the smoothest I've felt, just everything about this reel is great (well I'm going to switch out that handle for a 90mm carbon one).

Im going to continue to fish it this weekend and try several spools; steez 103 r+, ito 103 r, 1016, gigas, mx. Any advice or opinions would be great. At the end of the weekend, I'll break her down, and do a full clean. Not sure if anything has been done. I've got a new set of carbontex I'll throw in if it needs it. I just added red knobs and dig it, well see what comes next. I'm in love!

Out of curiosity, what rod are you using?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:24 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:59 am
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:52 am

Out of curiosity, what rod are you using?
I was using it on a 7'0" M Ardito. It's that or a 7'0" MH Ardito right now as I bike to the lakes around me. Otherwise, it would probably be mounted on a 7'0" M Cronos.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:36 pm

I think you'll find that the spool you are already using, will be the one that stays long term. Would be my choice anyways. Unless you want something a little more shallow, in which the Steez SV105 is another great option. I'm running the limited version in a few reels.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Only got to try a 1016 spool today with 8lb big game. Was throwing a weightless fluke (bubblegum of course) and could only throw out with brakes maxed out and spool tension to where the fluke would only move if I flicked the rod. Got surprisingly good distance also considering it was quite windy. I will try a heavier bait with this spool tomorrow.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:59 pm

Don't overfill that 1016. I find mine works better when it isn't filled ask the way to the rim.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:26 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:01 pm
Only got to try a 1016 spool today with 8lb big game. Was throwing a weightless fluke (bubblegum of course) and could only throw out with brakes maxed out and spool tension to where the fluke would only move if I flicked the rod. Got surprisingly good distance also considering it was quite windy. I will try a heavier bait with this spool tomorrow.
I have a 1016 spool in my IS71, just a joy to fish.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:51 am

TommyG wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:26 am
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:01 pm
I have a 1016 spool in my IS71, just a joy to fish.
I had previously been running the 1016 in a T3 MX and that thing is rediculous with casting distance. Such a great spool.