Sensitivity

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Sensitivity

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:53 pm

I don't know about most of you, but I've found that the most sensitive part of my hand is the edge of my palm opposite of my thumb. Because of that, the reel seat and grip are the most important thing for sensitivity for bottom contact rods for me.

A CFX grip on a good unfinished blank is magic for me. I can't tell much difference between SiC Titanium Fuji guides and Alconite SS Fuji guides. I'm sure it is there, but both are very sensitive.

If your sensitivity is based on touching the line with your forefinger most good light rods will feel similar.
Last edited by IlliniDawg01 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Post by hasnoboat1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:28 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:49 pm
hasnoboat1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:06 am
I have tried most of the high end rods and built on several the best blanks.
Imo the blank is what makes the biggest difference. Line is #2 and guides #3.

I cannot build anything that feels as sensitive to me as a conquest does.
What conquests are you using?

You really think they are ugly?

This is just my opinion but I feel like my NRX is a little more sensitive vs the conquest, what the conquest has
over the NRX is lightness, responsiveness, power while still be a very sensitive rod, plus it looks damn sexy.
842 spin
843 casting
903 casting
852 nrx casting

they are ugly compared to megabass or my customs. wtf is up with the funny not quite green, not quite blue color scheme that matches nothing.

Amazingly sensitive and accurate casting though!!!

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:20 am

I love the color on the conquest :big grin:

The color on the NRX I like even more haha, but yeah I agree, megabass are simply gorgeous rods.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:42 am

Many things affects on sensitivity. Most is blank, then grip material and then guides. I use only titanium guides. Mostly AT ti-forged due price compared to Fuji Torzite.

I've built K2, couple Croix SCV's, many NFC HM, couple NFC HM X-Rays, new Bushido HM etc..

At the moment most sensitive rod i've ever fished is NFC MB 736-1 X-Ray. I have Edge carbon grips and offset seat in it.

Should try some PB and Phenix TX764C next.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:57 am

Agree with most of what’s been posted. I will add that most ppl I fish with perceive shorter rods as more sensitive too. Curious on the comments about the Conquest rods as a good number of reviews I’ve seen still regard the NRX counterparts as and/or more sensitive. I think if you’re comparing those two rod lines peer to peer most of the perception comes down to your personal preference of rod action/taper.

hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Post by hasnoboat1 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:27 pm

I think I can feel the fish looking at my worm with the nrx or conquest.... :big grin:

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 am

893c is the most sensitive bottom contact rod on the planet in my opinion. I can feel when a fish is swimming around my bait. I have been impatient and set the hook a few times and snagged the fish.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:43 am

one time i felt fish pass gas on my nrx. i set the hook so hard, the lure almost gave me a concussion

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:46 pm

MardukFIN wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:42 am
Many things affects on sensitivity. Most is blank, then grip material and then guides. I use only titanium guides. Mostly AT ti-forged due price compared to Fuji Torzite.

I've built K2, couple Croix SCV's, many NFC HM, couple NFC HM X-Rays, new Bushido HM etc..

At the moment most sensitive rod i've ever fished is NFC MB 736-1 X-Ray. I have Edge carbon grips and offset seat in it.

Should try some PB and Phenix TX764C next.
I have the Xray 736 SJ custom built as well as a K2 714. Both are sensitve for sure. Both would be hard to tell apart. Both have micros, and have a minimal build. I do have carbon grips on the Xray versus Winn on the K2.

I dont feel my Legend Elite customs are on the same level.

Surprisingly, I have an older MHX SJ 720 spin jig blank I crammed into a broken Tatula handle...that is surprising sensitve for some reason.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:39 pm

To really compare a rods sensitivity, you need two equal parts, and we can't deny placebo effect. Starting with 2 blanks, with near, or as close to specs - in all aspects. Both have to be built with identical components, so we can rule out any one of those components being a reason for more or less sensitivity. Same line, bait, position, conditions, etc.
I don't believe it's really fair to compare a medium heavy from one rod series, against a medium or medium light from a different rod series. Heavier rod, heavier weight being used - heavier weight is easier to feel bottom structure with. So if someone was to do this, I believe you should start with two blanks in the typical medium power designation. This way you could perform tests with both slightly heavier, and slightly lighter baits. At the end of the testing, keep working at downsizing your weight until the signal is nearly gone. At this point you should have a pretty good idea as to which is providing better feedback.
My most sensitive blank is my K2 683ml. Lighter than most anything else, built with lightweight, quality components. 2nd and not far behind would be my Point Blank 6'9 medium light. Unfortunately, I don't fish much more than a medium to medium plus, as I'm usually battling river smallies. We also need to keep in mind exactly what is going into the blanks construction. We all know what and how, but we really have no idea how these things truly affect a blanks nature. Some companies seem much more advanced with resins and scrims than others. More specifically, how to utilize them, and how it "should" relate to performance.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:37 pm

My NRX 901 is VERY sensative....

Just sayin