Taking spooled reels on flights...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Taking spooled reels on flights...

Post by oops » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Years ago I read that taking reels that were spooled with line was a no-no for most airlines. Is this still a thing? Planning to take some gear with me on my next vacation and would strongly prefer not to check my reels and want to make sure I don't have any issues carrying stuff on.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Taking spooled reels on flights...

Post by DaisyZillion » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Pretty sure they’re a no go, may have to take the line off and put it in your checkin baggage or take your spools off and put them in a hard case of some sort then into your check in.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:29 pm

oops wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:36 pm
Years ago I read that taking reels that were spooled with line was a no-no for most airlines. Is this still a thing? Planning to take some gear with me on my next vacation and would strongly prefer not to check my reels and want to make sure I don't have any issues carrying stuff on.
True, spooled reels in your carry on is a no-go. No problem in your checked bag. Take the spools out of the reels and put them in your checked bag.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Whhaaattt???

I've flown no less than 10 times both international and domestic with my spooled reels in my carry on backpack (up to 4 of them). I've had my backpack gone through and lighters, liquids ect...taken out. Never a peep about a reel with spool line.

Maybe i was just lucky..10 times. Love to see a link to that policy.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... hing-lures

Actually on further review, here is TSA suggesting you take your expensive reels as carry on, no mention of taking off line.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Never heard of this either. Have checked rods but carried on reels many times.

I’d imagine a fresh spool of line in a retail box would pass 100/100 times. Not sure why it’d be any different on a reel spool.

mwh33
Angler
Angler

Post by mwh33 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:41 pm

I fish in Mexico for bass 1-2 times a year. I bring spoiled reels on the flight all the time, but on the way back from Mexico you have unspool all your reels.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 pm

I have had to take reels out of carry on too, so I always check them now. Not worth the hassle. No idea what they imagine you're going to do with a reel full of line, they must think we're all Steven Segal!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:08 am

I fly to Guntersville every year with my reel bag containing 10 reels spooled with line. In fact, it's a carry on. No issues.
<")))><{

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:49 am

I have done a couple of overseas charters and on both of them spooled reels were a no go for carry on, I removed the spools and put them in a small pelican case in my check in luggage.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:43 pm

in the last year or so it has changed in Australia, spooled reels use to be ok for carry on baggage but now no line is allowed.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:44 pm

When I was FIFO from Townsville to Gold Coast I couldn't take spools or even electrical tape off site on carry on and that was 2009...

Just last year from GC to NZ we couldn't take spools on carry on either.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:44 pm
When I was FIFO from Townsville to Gold Coast I couldn't take spools or even electrical tape off site on carry on and that was 2009...

Just last year from GC to NZ we couldn't take spools on carry on either.
I do FIFO out of Townsville to Cloncurry, people at work often give me reels to service for them and its only been the last 12 to 18 months that I have had to put them in check in. they must have laxed off for a while as I have been doing this gig for 9 years and had no issues previously with line on reels, but have more than one lighter in your bag and your in the crap.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:51 pm

I've never had an issue flying with reels that have line on them. I used to do it a lot for work. Same with to/from Mexico and Panama. However, with TSA you never know. They can change their mind at any time.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:48 am

Over the last couple years I've flown to multiple states with spooled reels and never had an issue with them in carry on. They did flag my bag because of the lead weights, they needed to see them. Baits with hooks and loose hooks passed with flying colors. Anything over a size 1 we put in checked baggage just in case though. Florida, Texas, Hawaii...
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:36 am

I was wondering about taking lures.

The TSA says no "large" hooks. That seems fairly subjective.

I'd love to take my 4-piece Levante, sv103xs w/ spare spool, and a small tackle box directly on my carry-on.