Is the Steez SV TW currently the best low profile bass reel on the market?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Steez SV TW currently the best?

No
27%
Yes
61%
Met MGL would be it
1%
Other (specify)
11%

Total votes: 74

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is the Steez SV TW currently the best low profile bass reel on the market?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:58 pm

Again, personal preference. It's my favorite reel no doubt with the Zpi Nrc001-m, but that doesn't prove its the best. Besides, how many of us enthusiast knuckle heads can say we've used every reel currently on the market. Plus, different reels are aimed at different designs with different intended purposes. How many of you guys are tossing 3 oz swimbaits with your Steez SV TW?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:08 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:58 pm
Again, personal preference. It's my favorite reel no doubt with the Zpi Nrc001-m, but that doesn't prove its the best. Besides, how many of us enthusiast knuckle heads can say we've used every reel currently on the market. Plus, different reels are aimed at different designs with different intended purposes. How many of you guys are tossing 3 oz swimbaits with your Steez SV TW?
Exactly the point I was going to make. As soon as I saw this topic I knew what would happen so I just stayed out of it. Out of all the reels I use I couldn't pick a favorite. It really just depends on the technique and conditions and comes down to whatever is working at the moment. With a little tuning, maybe some spool bearings and custom parts, the right line and the right rod, a lot of reels can be exquisite. Maybe if I had one I would consider it the best for all around use, but in that arena the competition is stiff to say the least.
This is the way.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:40 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:17 pm
Judging sales by how many of a certain brand of reels come into a repair shop is actually not a good litmus test. If one sees a ton of all these other brands come into a shop in need of repair, then hardly ever sees a Daiwa, I would think its because Daiwa reels dont ever break or need service. My cousin is a service manager for a Ford dealership. He asked his mechanics which vehicle they hated to work on, they said the Ranger with the 4.0 engine. He asked them why and they said, "We hardly ever see them. No one can remember how to repair them". I think that example sort of backfired on you, dude.
Not true as Daiwa are high maintenance reels akin to a Italian sports car. I see plenty of both Daiwa and Shimano in the servicing I do on the North East coast of Australia , primarily reels fished in salt water and Daiwas normally go out with the bigger repair bills.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:20 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:40 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:17 pm
Judging sales by how many of a certain brand of reels come into a repair shop is actually not a good litmus test. If one sees a ton of all these other brands come into a shop in need of repair, then hardly ever sees a Daiwa, I would think its because Daiwa reels dont ever break or need service. My cousin is a service manager for a Ford dealership. He asked his mechanics which vehicle they hated to work on, they said the Ranger with the 4.0 engine. He asked them why and they said, "We hardly ever see them. No one can remember how to repair them". I think that example sort of backfired on you, dude.
Not true as Daiwa are high maintenance reels akin to a Italian sports car. I see plenty of both Daiwa and Shimano in the servicing I do on the North East coast of Australia , primarily reels fished in salt water and Daiwas normally go out with the bigger repair bills.
I would agree with you regarding the bigger repair bills, because Daiwa prices their parts very high, while Shimano parts are more reasonably priced. The other part about Daiwa reels being high maintenance, I will respectfully disagree, at least as it pertains to what I see come across my bench. I dont service much saltwater gear, so maybe that's where your experience differs from mine. I have serviced Daiwa reels such as the OG Fuegos and Zillions that you couldn't tell what color the frame was because of all the grime built up on it. That particular group of reels had suffered extreme abuse from a pro fisherman whose home lakes were choked with vegetation, yet they continued to function surprisingly well even when they got to me. When I was finished, those reels were literally like new, and I didnt replace anything but the friction pads that the spool shaft contacts inside the palm plate. One thing I'm sure we both agree on-salt eventually does terrible things to a reel, regardless of brand.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Post by hasnoboat1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:34 am

It does what I need it to do a little bit better!
All of today's high end reels are really nice though!

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:31 am

I have always been a shimano guy. I have a metainium mgl ,a chronarch mgl, 2 bantam mgls and a bunch of other shimanos. I have 2 daiwa's a alphas sv 105 i bought because i liked my brothers so much and i just acquired a steez 100sha that im really digging on my nrx 873. I shouldn't have read this thread because its going to hurt my pockets and i have to try the steez sv tw now. Thanks tackle tour i need another reel like i need another hole in my head ](*,)

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:33 pm

To say something is best without setting a parameter is a dangerous proposition, but to suggest that sales equate to what is best is simply misguided. That train of thought would lead you to believe a Corolla is better car than a Tesla S, or a Ferarri for that matter. Heck you prolly think Mcdonalds is the best hamburger in the world based on that mindset.

The daiwa and shimano reels i have tried and used have been pretty much on par with each other performance and quality wise tier for tier. I go more Daiwa because reels like the Steez feel well in my hand. So if the parameter of what is “best” is what i enjoy fishing most, the steez sv gets my vote.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:02 pm

BassFreak wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:33 pm
To say something is best without setting a parameter is a dangerous proposition, but to suggest that sales equate to what is best is simply misguided. That train of thought would lead you to believe a Corolla is better car than a Tesla S, or a Ferarri for that matter. Heck you prolly think Mcdonalds is the best hamburger in the world based on that mindset.

The daiwa and shimano reels i have tried and used have been pretty much on par with each other performance and quality wise tier for tier. I go more Daiwa because reels like the Steez feel well in my hand. So if the parameter of what is “best” is what i enjoy fishing most, the steez sv gets my vote.
100%. As I stated earlier, no single reel can do it all realistically. That being said, if I had to choose one single most purpose reel, the Steez SV TW gets my vote.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:02 pm
BassFreak wrote:

100%. As I stated earlier, no single reel can do it all realistically. That being said, if I had to choose one single most purpose reel, the Steez SV TW gets my vote.
I don't have experience with many reels and to be fair most of them are daiwa but I finally got to use my steez sv tw today with the Zpi M spool and it is definitely my favorite so far. I was shocked at how well I was casting today. I almost spooled it a few times with 1/8oz jig head and rubber worm (the wind was helping on those casts). For me, in my hands, right now it's the best I've used.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:44 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:34 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
BassFreak wrote:

I don't have experience with many reels and to be fair most of them are daiwa but I finally got to use my steez sv tw today with the Zpi M spool and it is definitely my favorite so far. I was shocked at how well I was casting today. I almost spooled it a few times with 1/8oz jig head and rubber worm (the wind was helping on those casts). For me, in my hands, right now it's the best I've used.
Glad you like it bud. I didn't steer you wrong, that's a good thing. Did you get your drag star yet?

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:43 pm

I should get a ZPI M spool for my SV TW. The PG spool works so well though. And the stock spool is no slouch.

Yeah, the SV TW reel is my favorite bait caster- definitely one I’d choose over all the others.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:24 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:44 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:34 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
BassFreak wrote:

Glad you like it bud. I didn't steer you wrong, that's a good thing. Did you get your drag star yet?
Yeah, you have definitely helped me a lot and that reel/spool combo was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't buy the drag star yet but I might right now. I got screwed on a rod I bought on another forum and kind of stopped buying stuff but I checked a few days ago and it was available still. Love the white knobs and red caps though so thank you for that.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:30 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
BassFreak wrote:

And as I stated earlier - I voted no, because I have used so many great reels (most with a specific purpose/application).
That being said, I am very much with you: Steez SV TW with zPI NRC001-M is great! I love mine loaded with Sunline Sniper FC 10lb - toss 4-7 gram spinners and spoons for large trout. Atm I have been using reel on St Croix Steelhead rods and on a Tsurinoya Elf Ajing in 8’2” - latter matches colorwise to my purple/fast Steez and it is an utterly sweet combo for large trout.