Daiwa J-Fluoro Leader

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa J-Fluoro Leader

Post by poisonokie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:04 am

Never used a fluoro designed for leaders, but this makes me curious. Anyone tried it? No need for manageability, so you'd think it would have excellent knot strength and abrasion resistance.
This is the way.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa J-Fluoro Leader

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:04 am

I use Seaguar Blue Label as my leader for inshore saltwater fishing, I ordered a spool of J-Fluoro to try out and hope to use it next week.

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:26 pm

I haven't picked up a spool yet, but plan on doing so sometime soon. Biggest points of attraction for me are the price per yard and the line keeper band.

I use 4-8lb test for my leaders, so abrasion resistance hasn't been a huge factor; my leaders usually break off long before they can become too abraded for use, because when I get snagged I usually can't bend the hook out due to the light lb test. Haven't had a failure yet that I could attribute directly to abrasion, and haven't had any breakages while fighting fish yet.

So far I've only disliked one fluoro for leader usage, and that's Yo-Zuri Top Knot. Not sure if I got a bad spool or something, but its knot performance was subpar compared to Seaguar Blue Label (both at 8lb test), and even worse than Berkley Vanish (not leader specific, but still) at 6lb test and Redwing Phantom at 5.6lb test. I'm guessing Top Knot formula might be better suited for larger lb tests, but I wasn't happy with it in 8lb. It is by far the stiffest/hardest feeling of the handful I've tried, so I imagine the abrasion resistance might be great at higher lb tests, but in my experience it doesn't do me any good when the knots broke so easily with 8lb.

Hopefully J-Fluoro performs on-par with the others and not Top Knot. If it does, it'll probably become my new go-to, because it's 1/3 of the price per yard compared to Blue Label, and it far and away has the best line keeping system. I haven't seen anything to indicate whether it is precision wound or not, but if it is, that would really be icing on the cake.
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:17 pm

My spool came today so I'll give it a whirl next week.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:48 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:17 pm
My spool came today so I'll give it a whirl next week.
Hope it's good stuff! Sounds super convenient.
This is the way.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:20 pm

Couple things I noticed spooling up for next week, the diameter of the jfluoro is thinner than blue label and it is considerably more supple. I love the fact that for 20lb it comes in a 100yd spool vs 25 for blue label. The jfluoro is much slicker as well, I messed around scuffing up the two and it appeared that the jfluoro was a little more abrasion resistant due to it's slickness. That's my only concern, is with it being more supple, will it not be abrasion resistant enough when its a fish with teeth and not something being scraped down it.
Last edited by doomtrprz71 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:30 pm

Jfluoro

Blue label

So.330mm vs 0.368mm

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:41 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:20 pm
Couple things I noticed spooling up for next week, the diameter of the jfluoro is thinner than blue label and it is considerably more supple. I love the fact that for 20lb it comes in a 100yd spool vs 25 for blue label. The jfluoro is much slicker as well, I messed around scuffing up the two and it appeared that the jfluoro was a little more abrasion resistant due to it's slickness. That's my only concern, is with it being more supple, will it not be abrasion resistant enough when its a fish with teeth and not something being scraped down it.
Good to hear those initial impressions, sounds like it might be right up my alley! Is it precision wound by chance? Haven't seen any documentation of whether it is or not.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:52 am

I believe it is, I'll look when I get home.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am

Looks like it from my picture

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:46 am

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am

Looks like it from my picture
Sweet, thanks for checking! Looks like I'll need to put in an order for some soon.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:43 am

Abrasion resistance is not as good as seaguar blue label Image

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:51 pm

Day 2 of using it was impressive, it had good abrasion resistance in amongst the oysters today, I guess yesterday I was harder on it than I thought.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:26 pm

After 3 days of use but no fish caught I am still impressed by it and I guess the first day I ran it through the oysters harder than I thought. It does have good abrasion resistance, not as good as blue label but close, might be worth going up a size. When I go Spanish fishing this fall I will find out for sure just how good it is. Interestingly, a saltwater site reviewed and they believe it is made by sunline:

We did some testing over the past couple weeks, the line offers excellent diameters, a good hard finish for abrasion resistance, with break strength within reason. Compared to AFW, Sunline, Yo-Zuri and Seaguar's Blue Label FL products we are seeing a slight drop in actual breaking test for Daiwa's FL line. For example, using 40# as a reference, Daiwa's J-Fluoro scored 37 lbs with a full 5 inches of stretch prior to breaking. AFW averaged 42 lbs with 4.5" stretch, Yo-Zuri TopKnot came in at 44 lbs with a 4.25" stretch. Daiwa's diameters are smaller, in some instances substantially thinner than other suppliers tested. This is a major point, similar to comparing Seaguar's Premier verses their Blue Label product. The skinnier lines tend to break earlier - as one would suspect. We will do more testing, more sampling of spools, and then publish all our findings. Preliminary testing suggests Daiwa's line will test slightly under spec, but also offer greater stretch than other manufacturers. So, there are some particular applications where this may be a line of preferred use.

This is a 100% Fluorocarbon product, Japanese made quality, it will do what Fluorocarbon is supposed to do, be less visible in the water, and it will do so at a very aggressive cost. Now, Daiwa makes a lot of things, however this line is being produced by another manufacturer, no doubt. I'll lay odds that Sunline is making this product, has some similar characteristics to what we've stocked from them. (Sunline's primary business in the US market is that of an OEM producer, making lines for other firms to stamp their name on). Sunline makes a great product, as many of you well know. Daiwa's FL line will be a wonderful addition to their range of products, and a welcome relief to anglers given the quality and cost calculation.

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:14 pm

Got my 6 and 8 lb delivered on Friday, and got a chance to try out the 6lb this weekend. Overall I really like it so far. Being precision wound, it comes off the spool very nicely and feels premium with no kinks or irregularities noticable to the touch. It ties knots very well, so far I think it's my favorite fc leader material in that regard, as the surface is slick enough that it almost feels like I don't have to pre-wet the only before cinching it down even though I do, yet it's soft enough that I know my knots will hold well. It's a bit stiffer than Seaguar Blue Label, but still plenty supple for nice handling and I don't think it feels brittle little the Yo-zuri Top Knot did to me. Combined with the price and the line keeper band, it'll be my new go-to for sure; now I just need to convince myself to use up the other stuff I have first so that I can take the spools out of my bag, haha.