New Tatula Elite Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Tatula Elite Reel

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:26 pm

The new Tat Elite arrived today- Spooled it up with 30# Sufix 832. Feels great, casts great and very smooth. Had to tighten down the factory spool tension but casting 1/2 oz set on 8 produces zero backlash and about 40 yards of distance with ease.
Still has the rattle that I have experienced with all Tats when you shake it but I will just have to get over it. And no it is not due to the loose spool. I believe it is the clunk experienced when you pull out on the drag star.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:49 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:26 pm
The new Tat Elite arrived today- Spooled it up with 30# Sufix 832. Feels great, casts great and very smooth. Had to tighten down the factory spool tension but casting 1/2 oz set on 8 produces zero backlash and about 40 yards of distance with ease.
Still has the rattle that I have experienced with all Tats when you shake it but I will just have to get over it. And no it is not due to the loose spool. I believe it is the clunk experienced when you pull out on the drag star.
Can anyone help identify this "thunk" when shaking the reel? I can also feel it during a fast retrieve. Loose drive shaft?
New Zillion HD arrived today and makes the New Elite feel really cheap.......
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:57 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:49 pm
1nutinthewater wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:26 pm
Can anyone help identify this "thunk" when shaking the reel? I can also feel it during a fast retrieve. Loose drive shaft?
New Zillion HD arrived today and makes the New Elite feel really cheap.......
Interesting I have 7 tatulas sv and none of them have a "thunk" or "clunk" but I will check my new elite when it comes in.
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:44 pm

Hmmm. This thing makes quite a racket during fast retrieval - back it goes......

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:18 am

1nutinthewater wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:44 pm
Hmmm. This thing makes quite a racket during fast retrieval - back it goes......
it's not a big problem with use, it's same as the regular 100

Lightning
Angler
Angler

Post by Lightning » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:48 am

Curious to see how these cast versus some others.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:29 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:44 pm
I'd like to see a video of this racket you speak of. you've had countless reels do the same thing but nobody else has an idea what you're referring to. Not saying you don't hear anything but what you might be hearing could be considered normal.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:57 pm

I've had every almost every version of the Tatula and have never had any of them make any type of clunk, thunk or any other noise. I had a Fuego CT that had a little in and out play in the handle, but it only moved or made a noise when I purposefully pulled out on it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:20 pm

I checked all of my tatulas even the first gen reels and even my Steez reels and I don't have any of those noises so I suppect my Elites won't have it either.

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:57 pm

I had a house brand BPS reel do this real bad. It was the Chinese Extreme that came after the good Doyo Extreme reels. He one that looks like a big green Alphas. There was a lot of play on the handle shaft and would freely move in and out from the frame. Reeling quickly would ilicit and "clunk" "clunk" "clunk".

BelDozer
Angler
Angler

Post by BelDozer » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:05 pm

I have a tat 100 that “clunks” also. It doesn’t do it as much with line spooled up, and only does it if I’m reeling in really quickly. I guess time will tell it becomes a bigger issue, but for now it doesn’t really bother me that much

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Sent it back so no video. I have numerous reels including, bantam mgl, chronarch mgl, morethan, tat ct, tat sv and they are all super smooth with no rattle or noise to speak of.
I do probably reel much faster than bass guys since i use my reels in river for salmon/steelhead. Throw either a spoon or float 10-30 yards across river and let it either swing across the current or ride down river for 50-100 yards before reeling it back in as quick as possible for another cast.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:13 pm

Daiwa tech called me today and said reel is fine and similar to the rest but does not make the noise while testing with a "load" . I only gave it a whirl with line and not with anything actually on the line. Guess I should not be comparing it to the much more refined reels either. Getting picky these days............ :big grin:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:59 pm

Both of my Alphas SVs make a clacking noise when turning the handle with no load on the spool. It is really off putting when playing with the reels in hand but once on the water they are silent. I've never ventured to see what it is but it is internal and coming from within the handle side plate.

Lightning
Angler
Angler

Post by Lightning » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:28 pm

So what’s the verdict on the Elites? Better than? How does it stack up to others Tatulas , Zillion etc.