Dobyns xtasy or kistler zbone

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Dobyns xtasy or kistler zbone

Post by falcon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Anyone have insight on these two series side by side? I’m intrigued by both with the dobyns surprisingly having more of my interest but it’s hard to look past the USA made zbone.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Dobyns xtasy or kistler zbone

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:55 pm

I've heard a couple of disappointed opinions on the sensitivity of the Xtasy series. Never heard anything but praise for the zbone.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:54 pm

I have a 755 Xtasy and a 7-6 LE-5 Z-Bone, 2019. While i like the full cork and balance of the Xtasy, if I'm going to throw a 10 or 12 in worm I will always pick up the Z-Bone, it's got that "electric" feel. Not that the Xtasy is a slouch, I guess I just expected a little more. Going to give the Xtasy some more time, so far it's ok, but not top tier. For the $$$$, go for the Z-Bone.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:47 am

TommyG wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:54 pm
I have a 755 Xtasy and a 7-6 LE-5 Z-Bone, 2019. While i like the full cork and balance of the Xtasy, if I'm going to throw a 10 or 12 in worm I will always pick up the Z-Bone, it's got that "electric" feel. Not that the Xtasy is a slouch, I guess I just expected a little more. Going to give the Xtasy some more time, so far it's ok, but not top tier. For the $$$$, go for the Z-Bone.
any way you can post a pic of the balancing point of both? much appreciated

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:08 am

Chode wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:47 am
TommyG wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:54 pm
any way you can post a pic of the balancing point of both? much appreciated
Z Bone Zillion 1516 HLC.jpg
Z Bone Zillion 1516 HLC.jpg (36.2 KiB) Viewed 9877 times
755 Xtasy SV103.jpg
755 Xtasy SV103.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 9877 times

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:10 am

thx a lot tommy. is that zbone tip heavy?

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:33 am

A little off the topic but have you compared the xtasy and zbone to a nrx?

The reason I’ve been looking at these 2 is I’ve been unhappy with the quality of finished product with the NRX. However no one can argue the sensitivity.

I’ll be mounting a met mgl

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:19 am

Chode wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:10 am
thx a lot tommy. is that zbone tip heavy?
Not too bad, it's a 7-6 Heavy powered rod, so you are aware that you have some weight in your hand.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:26 am

falcon wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:33 am
A little off the topic but have you compared the xtasy and zbone to a nrx?

The reason I’ve been looking at these 2 is I’ve been unhappy with the quality of finished product with the NRX. However no one can argue the sensitivity.

I’ll be mounting a met mgl
I have an NRX 894, and a CNQ 904, the NRX is a bit more "crisp" but a tip heavy rod, I had to put a balance kit on it. It is a great flipping rod. The CNQ is very sensitive and very versatile, can pretty much do it all. That MBR Taper is very nice. The Z-Bone has more power then the rest, for a solid hookset at the end of a long cast, the Z-Bone has it. Very versatile as well, you can go from bottom work to a Megabass Mag Draft no sweat. The bite detection on the NRX, CNQ, And Z-Bone is a notch better then the Xtasy. I have not put in the time on the Xtasy, but I had really high expectations, it's ok, you're not going to miss a fish, but seems like you really have to pay attention and keep your head in the game. Going to put in more time with it. Hope this helps.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:02 am

Thanks I’ll keep looking and waiting to find a deal. Think I’ll keep looking at the Z and nrx

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:26 pm

What is your weight of the 7'6 heavy? The kistler website says 3.8 oz. That can't be right...

How would you compare it to your NRX. This rod seems to fit the bill for me for 1oz jigs and punching. Combining super sensitivity with great balance and sturdy build quality.

Care to comment?

Thx!

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:12 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:26 pm
What is your weight of the 7'6 heavy? The kistler website says 3.8 oz. That can't be right...

How would you compare it to your NRX. This rod seems to fit the bill for me for 1oz jigs and punching. Combining super sensitivity with great balance and sturdy build quality.

Care to comment?

Thx!
The rod weighed in at 4.6oz. The reel came in at 7.7. Not too bad for a heavy powered combo.
The NRX is an 894, a lighter powered rod with a faster tip, a tad more sensitive in its weight range. The Z-Bone does not lack in the sensitivity dept. at all. Side by side you are hard pressed to pick one over the other. I fish a lot of rocks, you have to hop your bait, most of the bites come on the fall, with the Z-Bone you know it's a fish. I really like the taper, it loads thru the blank, esp. with a good fish on. Indeed, for 1oz. jigs it would be a great choice, it has the power to get a solid hookset. All in all, I'm really happy with it.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:04 am

TommyG wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:12 am
freelancer27 wrote:

Care to comment?

Thx!
The rod weighed in at 4.6oz. The reel came in at 7.7. Not too bad for a heavy powered combo.
The NRX is an 894, a lighter powered rod with a faster tip, a tad more sensitive in its weight range. The Z-Bone does not lack in the sensitivity dept. at all. Side by side you are hard pressed to pick one over the other. I fish a lot of rocks, you have to hop your bait, most of the bites come on the fall, with the Z-Bone you know it's a fish. I really like the taper, it loads thru the blank, esp. with a good fish on. Indeed, for 1oz. jigs it would be a great choice, it has the power to get a solid hookset. All in all, I'm really happy with it.

Thanks again for the reply!

So the 894 is a bit more sensitive in your hands compared to the ZBONE? Which one would you recommend if it came to throwing mostly 3/4 - 1oz jigs and a bigger paddle tail swimbait every now and then. What line are you running on them? I am planning to use a braid to leader combo (FG knot) and it is important that the guides can handle the beating.

I would most likely pair the rod with the latest Morethan and run 30-40 pound braid with a 16-20 fluro leader. I would prefer a rod that is well balanced with that reel.

Thanks!

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:52 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:04 am
TommyG wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:12 am
freelancer27 wrote:

Care to comment?

Thx!

Thanks again for the reply!

So the 894 is a bit more sensitive in your hands compared to the ZBONE? Which one would you recommend if it came to throwing mostly 3/4 - 1oz jigs and a bigger paddle tail swimbait every now and then. What line are you running on them? I am planning to use a braid to leader combo (FG knot) and it is important that the guides can handle the beating.

I would most likely pair the rod with the latest Morethan and run 30-40 pound braid with a 16-20 fluro leader. I would prefer a rod that is well balanced with that reel.

Thanks!
I use the 894 for 3/8-1/2 jig and trailer, or the same wt. for flipping a creature. Mostly 21-25 g.
I use the Z-Bone for 10-12 worrms wit 1/2 to 3/4 wt. It will do a Mag Draft or a buzzjet no sweat.
The Xtasy would also fit well in your wt. range. The recoils on the 894 are not my favs. The Bone and the Xtasy are more leader freindly. 17-20 floro on the 894, 50-70 braid on the Bone.