Steez XBD SVF Discontinued?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez XBD SVF Discontinued?

Post by poisonokie » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:33 am

That's awesome, but if I were them and actually managed to retrieve it I'd totally send it back to you.
This is the way.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:13 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:33 am
That's awesome, but if I were them and actually managed to retrieve it I'd totally send it back to you.
I know you would man! One of them actually offered to take my number in case they did get it back. If they do I’d be impressed, and very appreciative, but I don’t have any expectations. One of the reasons I love fishing so much is “most” of us who do this in our free time are hardworking average guys that have respect for the sport and other anglers. This site is proof of that. Thanks to all the TT members that sent me nice pm’s, and other kind words about the situation. I appreciate you.
Dom

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:04 am

Just thought I’d mention I grabbed myself a new Steez AGS frog rod courtesy of my good buddy. I wanted to give a shoutout to the guys at the tackle trap. They always take care of me and I know if I have an issue with the AGS guides they will make it right with less stress. Much respect to Gary and the boys. I figured I could probably find an SVF-XBD if I really want, but I’m moving forward so I might as well step it up. I have other high end Jdm frog rod offerings I’m currently using, but they are shorter. Something about the 7’4” Steez and the perfect taper for it in my opinion left me wanting another to chuck them toads around. A JDM Zillion HLC is also on the way since I don’t have any powerful reels that would look good on that blank or match the blue. I can’t wait cause the frog bite has been getting better every outing for me. Thanks TT

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:55 am

Thank you Dom! I really appreciate the kind words. We try hard to take good care of our customers. I hope you enjoy the new rod, I know I really like that one a lot :D
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:34 pm

Quick (a bit unrelated question) here since it is about the same rods.

I am looking for a heavy Jig rod (3/4oz - 1.5 oz). I have used the XBD Frog rod for a while here, since I did not have anything else but was not super happy with the sensitivity of it. Now I am strongly considering the Steez AGS in heavy (1/4 - 1.5 oz) or the Extra heavy (1/2- 2oz). The later seems to be exactly the same rod as the XBD with the AGS guides instead, no?

I am wondering if I would see a good improvement in terms of sensitivity moving up here.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Seb.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:07 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:34 pm

I am looking for a heavy Jig rod (3/4oz - 1.5 oz). I have used the XBD Frog rod for a while here, since I did not have anything else but was not super happy with the sensitivity of it. Now I am strongly considering the Steez AGS in heavy (1/4 - 1.5 oz) or the Extra heavy (1/2- 2oz). The later seems to be exactly the same rod as the XBD with the AGS guides instead, no?

I am wondering if I would see a good improvement in terms of sensitivity moving up here.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Seb.
Check with Gary at TTT, he's da man!

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:09 am

freelancer27 wrote:

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Seb.
Mine says it will be here Friday. I’ll let you know when I get mine.
Dom

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:37 pm

=D>
domthewon wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:09 am
freelancer27 wrote:

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Seb.
Dom

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:12 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:37 pm
=D>
domthewon wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:09 am
freelancer27 wrote:

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Seb.
Dom
I got my rod yesterday. Lined up my new 1516 HLC with 65lb 832 and threw a tungsten weight hook and small plastic weighing 22.5g tw on it just over 3/4 oz tw. I pitched and dragged it around the pool for a minute til I had enough and was ready to tie on a frog. The sensitivity is definitely improved over the XBD in my hands. By how much? It’s tough to say cause I don’t have the XBD anymore obviously, but it was definitely improved. Balance also seems better. The HLC weighs around 205g which is about 7.3 oz and definitely a lighter reel than I had on the XBD before it abandoned ship. You can see the balance point in the pic below. I also took a pic of the taper. For frogging it is definitely a winner. It feels lighter in hand than I remember my original being and not quite as tip heavy either. When popping my gavacho around the vibration was felt more than it did when I last threw the XBD with a same model frog which leads me to believe it is also more sensitive. The taper feels the same which is my favorite part because you only need to make small pops to make the frog walk, but when setting the hook it has a lot of power still to drive those hooks. Also the taper keeps the fish pinned. I can see using this rod to punch and pitch some heavy cover, but it is already dedicated to frogs for me and won’t get other usage most likely. I hope it bring some new mojo to my frog game along side my Sedition Hooligan used for the close combat duties. Frog fishing is my favorite way to catch them and this rod has a mission. Only thing I dislike is it has the dreaded made in China sticker on it which is why I’m glad I got it from the TackleTrap guys just in case. Overall it will do the job as good or better than the XBD in my opinion and I can’t wait to get it on the water.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:38 am

Very nice. Big fan of the older XBD and happy to see better balance. Keep us posted on how it compares to the older model for frogs.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:55 am

That's great balance out of a 7'4" frog rod. I really want to try those AGS guides out.
This is the way.