Alphas SV 105 drag too tight?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Dutch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Alphas SV 105 drag too tight?

Post by Dutch » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:20 am

Hi guys,

I just noticed that when I loosen the drag of my alphas completely, it still has significant drag tension.
I measured it and on a rod you can almost lift 200 grams (7 ounce) from the ground.
All my other baitcasters, for instance Tatula SV, are almost freespool when drag is completely loose.
How are your Alphas?
Good there be something wrong with mine?
Functionally it is not a big issue and casting is still great, also apart from this the drag seems to operate correctly when set to fighting strenght.

Greetz

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Alphas SV 105 drag too tight?

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:29 am

Just checked mine. When I loosen the drag all the way I can easily spin the spool with my finger. Sounds like you have one too many washers on the drag stack causing tension to be put on it at all times. Did you get this reel new or secondhand?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:21 am

Yeah, something's off, anyway. Installed backwards or something.
This is the way.

Dutch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dutch » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:45 am

thanks for the info guys. I bought mine new 2 years ago and this drag tension issue just started this week.
Before that it was like what you are describing, very loose.
Reel has not been opened up or serviced so it is not like something has been wrongly installed.

Taking it apart en reinstalling might be an idea, although I am not a reel expert..

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:02 am

Remove the handle and drag star. If the spool still won't spin freely, the reel might need service. I had a reel do that once. Apparently, it just needed to be cleaned and lubed. I think the a/r sleeve was somehow seized in the rollers and wouldn't slide out, because I initially had a hard time getting the sideplate to lift up.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Dutch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dutch » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:38 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:02 am
Remove the handle and drag star. If the spool still won't spin freely, the reel might need service. I had a reel do that once. Apparently, it just needed to be cleaned and lubed. I think the a/r sleeve was somehow seized in the rollers and wouldn't slide out, because I initially had a hard time getting the sideplate to lift up.
thanks Hoohoorjoo! I just decided to try out exactly what you suggested. There was some fluoro line wrapped around the shaft. removing this solved it!