Daiwa Steez Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Steez Rods

Post by kyty » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:02 pm

Kinda confused with all these diff types of Daiwa rods. Want to know about the high end stuff. I know the racing design and AGS are getting good reviews but what about the other types like the werewolf, harrier, machine gun cast, top gun. Don't necessarily want to know about those individual rods but are those any good? Also it looks like they have similar looking rods but have gold writing instead of silver. Hope this isn't too confusing because reading this is confusing me. Would like to try some. Have the xbd frog rod.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Steez Rods

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:39 pm

I went through the same thing when I bought my Skyray. I had faith that it would be great for what I wanted and it was. Being an Compile X rod it is not super sensitive but I bought it for the action, length and weight and a power BFS dock skipper.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Can't go wrong with a JDM Steez. There are definitely some standouts, as with any rod line. Most of them are somewhat presentation specific, but there are some versa sticks in the lineup. People seem to really like them. Well appointed, and very fishable. I think Daiwa has done a good job with the descriptions and usage purposes. What are you after? Anything specific?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:26 pm

I've spent a good bit of time with the US Steez AGS rods and they are deserving of top tier, enthusiast level classification and performance in my hands. The 761MML spinning rod is incredible and one of the best spinning rods I've ever fished, the 71MHXF is a great stick, the 74XH, and on and on... they don't get as much love as they should, but they do indeed deserve it. I don't know as much about the JDM Daiwa rods, but plan on learning more in the relatively near future 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:17 pm

i have a few jdm steez (skyray, harrier f-spec, strike flanker), i plan to pick up a few more. all comp-x, no complaints.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:21 pm

I have the harrier and the flanker, both are great. They are cool looking, very comfortable, well balanced versatile rods.

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:52 pm

Thanks guys for the responses. I really have no one specific rod i'm looking for but was just wondering how people felt about the higher end stuff. What are the rods with the gold lettering on them?

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 pm

Hey Gary that's part of my question. I've bought many rods from you but when you say JDM from Daiwa what rods are those? Is that the RD and compile x?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Pretty much anything currently in production that isn't an AGS or XT, right? The RD's are definitely 💯% JDM.
This is the way.

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:58 pm

RD's are pretty sweet looking. I was told the AGS guides break easily.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:58 pm

kyty wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 pm
Hey Gary that's part of my question. I've bought many rods from you but when you say JDM from Daiwa what rods are those? Is that the RD and compile x?
Visit the Daiwa Japan website

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:18 pm

kyty wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:58 pm
RD's are pretty sweet looking. I was told the AGS guides break easily.
I heard that a lot when the AGS rods were released, and it made me hesitant to buy them. After fishing the Racing Designs a decent amount over 20X's, and my AGS 3x's so far I'm not sure if it's all true. I can see them possibly breaking from being stepped on, or by slapping the rod against a trolling motor while trying to cast a bait side arm or something, but not really from normal usage. They are pretty much carbon fiber framed and are similar sized to other guides. Metal guides won't actually break but can become dented or break off out of the epoxy. The AGS guides could possibly break due to a similar accident if that makes sense. In my opinion they look very well made, and I've yet to have an issue. I have hit my trolling motor, and lip around the deck of my boat a few times and they are as good as new( not sure if it was direct contact with a guide or not). The Racing Designs are JDM while AGS are made in China, but QC seems to be very good on them. As for the Compile X i'm not sure where it was made, but the 8' model I had was great looking, but not for my taste at all. I was disappointed with the model I had for bottom contact, and see a big improvement in the AGS although it is a different model, but is XH. I never got around to fishing the previous JDM Steez rods so I'll leave those for others to reply about. If you don't mind the plain black looks and the blue accents the AGS come with warranty if you buy from a dealer so you won't have to worry too much. If my line up wasn't over stacked I would be tempted to grab another AGS to try, but as for right now there is no need for me. Hope this helps some.
Dom

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:25 pm

By far the best looking wrapping and guides on any of my rods. I wish my pics did them justice.

jdbassman32
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jdbassman32 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:54 am

I've been on the fence about either the Steez 7'6" MML spinning rod or waiting for the NRX 901 and 902 to come out in the near future or possibly the Conquest 902. I've read and heard from a variety of folks about the guides on the Daiwas breaking. I do like the fact the Steez will cover what both the NRX 901 and 902 will do.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:06 am

Wow that guide is wicked looking. Is that from the RD?