Steez Gear Mods

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Slevins
Angler
Angler

Steez Gear Mods

Post by Slevins » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:16 pm

Hi All,
I was thinking about to order new gears for steez 103hl but i saw on the web that durability of stock gears may be upgraded to brass from TDZ versions and this information stopped me from ordering stock light alloy gears.
Also i did not found any information about successful swaps/replacements for 2016+ versions.
With this regard, I would like to ask enthusiasts/ experts who had successful experience:

1) Is there any options to upgrade early versions of steez, i.e. 100/103/SV, if yes, what is the best way to replace and which parts should be replaced. TDZ brass gears? Is it possible to use in it gears of later versions i.e. namiki/ss sv/ sv tw? if yes what option would you chose?

2) As far as i understand, Daiwa started to use new gears starting from Namiki versions, are they the same with SV TW versions?

3) Is there any option to increase durability for the new generation reels, i mean namiki/ sv tw, etc., I do not take in mind to swap gear from CC versions because they are sill light alloy gears...

I think this information might be useful for all steez users and enthusiasts.
Thanks

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez Gear Mods

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:30 pm

Not entirely sure on gears for the original 103 steez but for the Steez 100SH and the newer models and the SS SV reels the gears for the original TD zillions are a direct swap with many gear ratios to choose from. The 100 SH 7.1:1 models the gears are larger and identical to the zillion gears.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:32 pm

I have also managed to use original zillion gears in a Steez A but have to use the Steez A pinion, Only did it to see if it could be done as I have no issues with the durability of the new generation G1 Alloy gears and my Steez A's are used on saltwater fish.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:10 am

Slevins wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:16 pm
Hi All,
I was thinking about to order new gears for steez 103hl but i saw on the web that durability of stock gears may be upgraded to brass from TDZ versions and this information stopped me from ordering stock light alloy gears.
Also i did not found any information about successful swaps/replacements for 2016+ versions.
With this regard, I would like to ask enthusiasts/ experts who had successful experience:

1) Is there any options to upgrade early versions of steez, i.e. 100/103/SV, if yes, what is the best way to replace and which parts should be replaced. TDZ brass gears? Is it possible to use in it gears of later versions i.e. namiki/ss sv/ sv tw? if yes what option would you chose?

2) As far as i understand, Daiwa started to use new gears starting from Namiki versions, are they the same with SV TW versions?

3) Is there any option to increase durability for the new generation reels, i mean namiki/ sv tw, etc., I do not take in mind to swap gear from CC versions because they are sill light alloy gears...

Thanks
For early Steez, 7.1 brass gears are the way to go unless you want it for topwater, jerkbait, or cranking work, then you can get the 5.7 gears from a TD-Z 103ML.

As Barramaniac said, Zillion, Steez A, and Steez SV TW gears should all fit later models.

Slevins
Angler
Angler

Post by Slevins » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:10 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:10 am
Slevins wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:16 pm
Hi All,

Thanks
For early Steez, 7.1 brass gears are the way to go unless you want it for topwater, jerkbait, or cranking work, then you can get the 5.7 gears from a TD-Z 103ML.

As Barramaniac said, Zillion, Steez A, and Steez SV TW gears should all fit later models.
why not to go with 6.3 ratio from TD Z?
what parts should be swapped if i save the same gear ratio? only main drive gear? Do i need swap pinion of something else to have proper work?
if i decide to go with lower or higher ratio am i right that i need to order main gear + pinion of TDZ?

taking into account that there are not all parts in stock, am i right that i can order gear from any of the TD Zillion platform (HLA, Coastal, HLC, PE Special, J Dream, Type R)

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:32 am

I don't think you can find 6.3 brass TD-Z gears new anymore, unless you find someone who has a set sitting around.

If you change gears, changing the drive and pinion gears as a set is best. You're just more likely to get a smoother feeling reel that way.

Yes, you can just directly swap the gear sets.

I don't know a lot about the zillion gear sets, I only have early Steez and TD-Z's. Barramaniac is the guy to ask about those.

MisterQ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MisterQ » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:50 am

You can use the brass gears from an old red Fuego
A TD-Z is forever

Slevins
Angler
Angler

Post by Slevins » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:16 am

MisterQ wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:50 am
unfortunately i did not find parts for it on plat.

what about TD Zillion PE Special? it looks like they have in stock Main Drive Gear on plat but do not have pinion. It has the same gear ratio as a steez 103HL.

also TD Zillion HLC 100hl/ TD Zillion 100HL with the same gear ratio available both pinion and main gear on plat

TDZ 103 HL Type R (the last one have the same cost as a steez gear) available main drive gear without pinion.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:19 pm

Slevins wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:16 am
MisterQ wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:50 am
unfortunately i did not find parts for it on plat.

what about TD Zillion PE Special? it looks like they have in stock Main Drive Gear on plat but do not have pinion. It has the same gear ratio as a steez 103HL.

also TD Zillion HLC 100hl/ TD Zillion 100HL with the same gear ratio available both pinion and main gear on plat

TDZ 103 HL Type R (the last one have the same cost as a steez gear) available main drive gear without pinion.
Zillion gears wont fit the steez 103 only the High speed steez as it has a larger gear case and gear.
If the TDZ gears are out of stock you maybe out of luck. a lot of parts are no longer available. I have found gears for the original certates are no longer available and they are a newer reel. I understand they cant keep making parts for older reels and its also a way to ensure people buy the newer offerings and force people to retire the older stuff.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Slight correction: the 103 and 100 Steez both came in the H and SH models. Zillion gears are only compatible with the SH models, as they have the larger gear case. In regards to gearing, it doesn't matter as to whether they are designated as 100 or 103, since only the spool changed between the 100 and 103 variants.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slevins
Angler
Angler

Post by Slevins » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:32 pm

thanks hoohoorjoo and barramaniac, now it seems i have the only stock option :(
In respect of SH version am i right that any of the TD Zillions (not only TD Z) with the same gear ratio will fit to the steez or direct swap of pinion and main gear with different gear ratio will work?
does steez 6.3 sv had larger gear case or it is unupgradable as well as early H modification? i am asking about early SV version not namiki.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Slevins wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:32 pm
thanks hoohoorjoo and barramaniac, now it seems i have the only stock option :(
In respect of SH version am i right that any of the TD Zillions (not only TD Z) with the same gear ratio will fit to the steez or direct swap of pinion and main gear with different gear ratio will work?
does steez 6.3 sv had larger gear case or it is unupgradable as well as early H modification? i am asking about early SV version not namiki.
In respect of the SH versions the TDZ gears are too small to fit.
TDZ gears are similar size to the 103H steez gears. the Steez 103 has a smaller gear side frame
The steez 100SH ( larger gear side frame) gears are larger and swap with zillion gears, the SS SV is also the same body as Steez 100SH. Steez A and SV 1016 main gears can be fitted but the pinion gear on these wont fit the yoke.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Good info, thanks.

Slevins
Angler
Angler

Post by Slevins » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:58 pm

Yes, very big thanks!
Looks like all main gears that could work for me out of stock... :(

Just to summarise:
1) Early Steez H modifications - direct swap only with TD-Z versions. Does the Steez SV not TW should be in this category?
2) Steez SH + Namiki - direct swap TD Zillion versions
3) New versions of steez A + steez SV TW - direct swap Zillion TW but should be used pinnion from steez A
if something is wrong please correct

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:35 am

I used the brass 6.3 gear set out of a sv103. I put them in my Steez SV 103. Worked like a charm. You will need the drag stack to. They are different sizes.