JDM Rod for Finesse Jigs

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

JDM Rod for Finesse Jigs

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:13 am

Looking for a unique rod IMHO.
Im using Dirty Jigs Luke Clausen Finesse Jig in 5/16 ( as reference. may goto 3/8 but if you've used this jig you know the even the light jigs have a stout - fish hook. ) Id prefer the rod have a full handle.. I think if the 853c was a full handle i'd be all over it.. and Since my Poison Adrena 7'2" has not arrived I wanted to see what the deeper side fo the pool has to offer. I'd like the rod to be 7'1" to 7'3" max and one piece.. Looking for suggestions
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: JDM Rod for Finesse Jigs

Post by j2015 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:07 pm

I throw the Keitech football jigs on a conquest 843 and it works great.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:43 pm

I've thrown 1/4 oz Kahara and other 3/16 oz finesse jigs with my Steez Racing Design 6101ML+FB, haven't caught anything with them yet but throwing them with that rod are no problem.

I've also thrown the same jigs with my Megabass Northwall Eiger F3-67X and Megabass EVO C40 F2.5-68ti Cliffhanger, not as nice as the Racing Design, but they work. I'm assuming you were asking about casting rods as for spinning rods, almost all that I have will work for finesse jigs.

Sorry, missed that major detail on length...these work for me.
Last edited by Winstondry on Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Checking all those boxes was nearly impossible. But my friend, I found it..(kind of..)
JDM-Check (actually made in Japan)
7'1 to 7'3- Check (7'1)
Full Grip-Check (full cork)
Once Piece-Check (not even grip joint)
Lure Rating 1/8 to 3/4 oz
As a bonus: titanium guides
Upon release in 2013 this was one of the most material advanced and expensive rods in Japan, clocking in at over 60k YEN. Produced by a company who was one of the original utilizers of Torayca 1100G. Unfortunatly, Toray did not release 1100G into production until 2014. There is good reason to believe this rod was made with the slightly lessor 1000G, which to this day is a strong, lighter and more durable carbon than is used in 99.5% of all production rods.
For some reason, the Russians bought up most of these rods. Probobly had something to do with shaking up the Carbon market during the 2013 Japanese elections... :big grin:
Anywhoo..introducing the Graphiteleader Vittoria GVTC-71M
Since Olympic has since removed it from it's website, and these get eaten up as fast as they become available. An old Zen listing will have to suffice..
https://zenmarket.jp/s/ishiguro/98649

I have some other thoughts on JDM rods that would fit the bill, but I will save that for another post. In the mean time, I issue a challenge to all TT members, to find another that checks ALL the boxes. (and not a Megabass, as those are really USDM rods :lol: )

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:46 pm
Checking all those boxes was nearly impossible. But my friend, I found it..(kind of..)
JDM-Check (actually made in Japan)
7'1 to 7'3- Check (7'1)
Full Grip-Check (full cork)
Once Piece-Check (not even grip joint)
Lure Rating 1/8 to 3/4 oz
As a bonus: titanium guides
Upon release in 2013 this was one of the most material advanced and expensive rods in Japan, clocking in at over 60k YEN. Produced by a company who was one of the original utilizers of Torayca 1100G. Unfortunatly, Toray did not release 1100G into production until 2014. There is good reason to believe this rod was made with the slightly lessor 1000G, which to this day is a strong, lighter and more durable carbon than is used in 99.5% of all production rods.
For some reason, the Russians bought up most of these rods. Probobly had something to do with shaking up the Carbon market during the 2013 Japanese elections... :big grin:
Anywhoo..introducing the Graphiteleader Vittoria GVTC-71M
Since Olympic has since removed it from it's website, and these get eaten up as fast as they become available. An old Zen listing will have to suffice..
https://zenmarket.jp/s/ishiguro/98649

I have some other thoughts on JDM rods that would fit the bill, but I will save that for another post. In the mean time, I issue a challenge to all TT members, to find another that checks ALL the boxes. (and not a Megabass, as those are really USDM rods :lol: )
I see what you did there. 😂
But thanks again all I could adjust to the 6’10” if needed
I’m going to take all this information to my life partner and after our anniversary celebration, I’m sure this topic will come up. :big grin:
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:07 am

Check out some ValleyHill models, such as the Raison models. They fit all your requirements. Also the soon to be released Jackall Revoltage rods.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:32 am

Thanks
I'm looking

By chance have anyone of you used a kaleido Insirare
(KALEIDO INSPIRARE TKIC-71MH-BK Super Stallion Black Series)
or

KALEIDO TKLC-73MGX Husky Winder Quatrro Plus???

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:31 am

goldrod wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:32 am
Thanks
I'm looking

or

I have the stallion and SS black, and just ordered the SS GT and I wouldn’t consider them to be great bottom contact rods especially for finesse. I haven’t received my GT yet so I can’t speak on that one but wouldn’t even think to use it for finesse applications. I use both black models for moving baits and they work really well and are versatile. The SSGT2RS is supposed to be geared more for bottom contact like the original TKLC’s taper but with toray 1100 in the mix. Not sure what your price range is, but the GT2RS is an easy $800+ shipped to our side of the pond, but does have a full cork handle and the lure weight is 3/8-3oz. I almost bought one but don’t need anymore bottom contact rods and went with a GT model cause I wanna see how the newer blank compares to the older version plus I really like Eva grips right now. Most JDM rods suited for bottom contact have split grips finding a full handle in the weights your looking to cover is tough. I can’t recall seeing any full handles except for some daiwa heartland rods.
Good luck with your search.
Last edited by domthewon on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:15 am

domthewon wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:31 am
goldrod wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:32 am
Thanks
I'm looking

or

I have the stallion and SS black, and just ordered the SS GT and I wouldn’t consider them to be great bottom contact rods especially for finesse. I haven’t received my GT yet so I can’t speak on that one but wouldn’t even think to use it for finesse applications. I use both black models for moving baits and they work really well and are versatile. The SSGT2RS is supposed to be geared more for bottom contact like the original TKIC’s taper but with toray 1100 in the mix. Not sure what your price range is, but the GT2RS is an easy $800+ shipped to our side of the pond, but does have a full cork handle and the lure weight is 3/8-3oz. I almost bought one but don’t need anymore bottom contact rods and went with a GT model cause I wanna see how the newer blank compares to the older version plus I really like Eva grips right now. Most JDM rods suited for bottom contact have split grips finding a full handle in the weights your looking to cover is tough. I can’t recall seeing any full handles except for some daiwa heartland rods.
Good luck with your search.

I saw where Cal ( if I’m not mistaken) did a review on the husky winder and that was interesting. I’ve probably read so much about the super stallion on different sites. So it’s possible that I’m getting them confused. I have a notepad that I take notes on an my have to refer to them. Yeah I’m tracking that the ones I just mentioned were not finesse but from what they price was far less than $800. Like way less. So that’s why i had to ask.
I’ve been reading so much stuff and looking at pictures.
It’s starting to run together.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:44 pm

The husky winder is a moving bait rod. Can't recall for sure, but seems like at least one iteration of it was actually carbon/glass composite... but I could be totally off! O:)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:11 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:44 pm
The husky winder is a moving bait rod. Can't recall for sure, but seems like at least one iteration of it was actually carbon/glass composite... but I could be totally off! O:)
Your correct. I got a pm answering a question about it.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:54 pm

If you like the 853C so much why not consider getting an IMX Pro 853C with a full handle. My megabass rods are awesome, but for 1/8 oz to 5/16 oz finesse jigs I love the IMX Pro 802C.
Last edited by spencerinstl on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:57 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:54 pm
If you like the 853C so much why not consider getting an IMX Pro 853C with a full handle. My megabass rods are awesome, but for 1/8 oz to 5/16 oz finesse jigs I love the IMX Pro 802C.
I've not used the 853c, I only went by the ratings.. I do however have a 803c GLX ( impulse buy) that I have and I like it for weightless flukes in shallow water. I was looking for something less domestic but was going off of the 853c because it has the same ratings as the 803 yet its longer..

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:34 am

goldrod wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:57 pm

I've not used the 853c, I only went by the ratings..
One of my favorite Gloomis rods. It works really well with bottom contact up to 1/2 oz. Also, does well with flukes.

It's not JDM, but ticks all of the other boxes.

For JDM, MB X7 Bearing Down (6'11"), or Evergreen Black Racer (6'6"), but those aren't at the length you mentioned.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:08 am

Since you’re already looking at it I’d recommend the Gunslinger for light weight jigs (3/8 and under). Especially if they have a stouter hook this rod would be great for that. I think Evergreen rods fish lighter than their ratings when compared to typical USA market rods.

If you’re talking very light wire hooks though I’d look at something else.