One Nice All-Purpose Spinning rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: One Nice All-Purpose Spinning rod

Post by Matt_3479 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:17 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:32 am
Matt_3479 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:18 pm
All this talk about the 842 is making me want one lol. So far I really really like my 852s nrx. Not designed to be all purpose but so far haven’t found anything I don’t like throwing on it. Would love to grab a longer conquest like a 902s or a used nrx 902s if I stumble across one
I would be all over a conquest 901s if they made one..
Haha I’d love to check one out if they made one. But I hear amazing things about a 902 for those deep water applications! Something about it just peaks my interest

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:44 am

Matt_3479 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:16 am
russ57 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:07 pm
Matt_3479 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:18 pm
All this talk about the 842 is making me want one lol. So far I really really like my 852s nrx. Not designed to be all purpose but so far haven’t found anything I don’t like throwing on it. Would love to grab a longer conquest like a 902s or a used nrx 902s if I stumble across one
Personally I am starting to shy away from rods much longer the 7', due to their inherent balance issues. I'm guessing that 852S is tip heavy?
I don’t find the 852s tip heavy what so ever! The mbr taper is suppose to be more universal but can’t imagine much better then this 852s! It has excelled at everything I throw, but obviously it does really shine with senko’s, tubes, 2.8 keitechs, shakey heads and stuff
THE SJR is the Spinning equivelent of the MBR action, from what I have read. Granted, I have never used a loomis rod.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:51 am

If the length wasn't an issue, the Steez AGS 76MML is without a doubt one of the greatest spinning rods I've ever used. It's extremely versatile, incredibly sensitive, and is just flat out fun to fish with. I've fished both Certate LT and Exist LT on it and haven't found the rod to be overly tip heavy in my hands. I've fished a bunch of other extremely high end rods - Conquest, NRX, Croix Legend Elite, Megabass stuff, all of them make good rods, but this 76MML-AGS is something special...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:07 am

That is a little long to bring in and out of my car, would be the main issue. Are you Gary from the Tackletrap?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:32 am

russ57 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:07 am
That is a little long to bring in and out of my car, would be the main issue. Are you Gary from the Tackletrap?
Yes sir. Understood on the length. The 7' Medium AGS would be another worthwhile contender on your list in that case...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:28 pm

, and the 7ML Steez AGS ,
bronzefly wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:32 am
russ57 wrote:
Yes sir. Understood on the length. The 7' Medium AGS would be another worthwhile contender on your list in that case...
I hadn't considered a steez, as I thought they were considered overpriced for the sensitivity they provide. I guess it is that 7M model or the conquest. Do you have a comparison on the balance of the 2 rods? I would lean conquest, honestly, since it is viewed as the top tier rod in the U.S. market, but the Steez does look cooler, and may be better balanced. Per TT reviews, the 843S Conquest had a Balancing Torque of 0.19, whereas the 7M Steez AGS had a BT of 0.15. I realize that this is a comparison of a MH spinning rod with a ML, but they are the same length as the two rods in question, and I'm not sure how balance changes as power increases.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:48 am

russ57 wrote:I hadn't considered a steez, as I thought they were considered overpriced for the sensitivity they provide. I guess it is that 7M model or the conquest. Do you have a comparison on the balance of the 2 rods? I would lean conquest, honestly, since it is viewed as the top tier rod in the U.S. market, but the Steez does look cooler, and may be better balanced. Per TT reviews, the 843S Conquest had a Balancing Torque of 0.19, whereas the 7M Steez AGS had a BT of 0.15. I realize that this is a comparison of a MH spinning rod with a ML, but they are the same length as the two rods in question, and I'm not sure how balance changes as power increases.
Prior to the AGS rods, that was my experience with the top tier Steez rods, they didn't deliver the sensitivity of comparably priced flagship type rods. That is no longer the case across the board with the Steez AGS rods. I no longer have the Conquest 842, and I never fished the 843, but in terms of pure sensitivity, the AGS 7'M is every bit if not more sensitive as the Conquest. The Certate LT on the 7'M AGS is very comfortable in terms of balance in my hands. Overall, the Steez AGS rods haven't really gained a lot of fame because so many just didn't even try them based on previous experiences. I had the same impression until I started fishing with them...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:19 am

russ57 wrote:
I can fit an 8' flipping stick in my Mazda 3. Kinda gets in the way of the stick shift, but nothing I can't handle. Just sayin. :lol:
This is the way.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:59 am

Gary- is there any significant difference between the 76MML and the 7M Steez AGS. Well, besides the length (and the 76mml can handle slightly lighter weights).

I know the 76MML is the 'unicorn' spinning rod and you've used terms like 'magic'... does the 7M follow in it's bigger sibling's traits?

Thanks-

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:18 pm

scrapiron wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:59 am
Gary- is there any significant difference between the 76MML and the 7M Steez AGS. Well, besides the length (and the 76mml can handle slightly lighter weights).

I know the 76MML is the 'unicorn' spinning rod and you've used terms like 'magic'... does the 7M follow in it's bigger sibling's traits?
The 76MML-AGS is the standout of a great group of spinning rods in the Steez AGS family. The 7'M AGS is a fantastic rod and has all the positive attributes one would want in a rod of its caliber, but the 76MML has that "it" factor in my hands that's unmistakable when you fish it. There is quite a bit of overlap between the two in terms of application, but if length wasn't an issue, I'd take the 76 every time. This isn't intended as a knock against the 7M, rather high praise for the 76MML.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 pm

I wouldn’t overlook St. Croix in this conversation either. I’ve owned/fished a lot of the rods mentioned in this thread and I throw a few “Ned’s”. :D

I haven’t seen a bad rod mentioned yet.

Sir, what size lead/hook do you throw for “Ned’s” ? Offering choice ? Just curious as that rig has been green bassified in recent years from what Ned and I have written of so often. It makes a difference regarding rod choice. Thanks.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:08 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 pm
I wouldn’t overlook St. Croix in this conversation either. I’ve owned/fished a lot of the rods mentioned in this thread and I throw a few “Ned’s”. :D

I haven’t seen a bad rod mentioned yet.

Sir, what size lead/hook do you throw for “Ned’s” ? Offering choice ? Just curious as that rig has been green bassified in recent years from what Ned and I have written of so often. It makes a difference regarding rod choice. Thanks.
All the the SC I have handled, minus legend extreme, have awful balance IMO. Have you used the extremes? Smallmouth Crush on youtube uses them.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:13 pm

Yes sir I have. The 7’6” ML XF is dead on right. Smallmouth are all that I fish.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:09 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:18 pm
The 76MML-AGS is the standout of a great group of spinning rods in the Steez AGS family. The 7'M AGS is a fantastic rod and has all the positive attributes one would want in a rod of its caliber, but the 76MML has that "it" factor in my hands that's unmistakable when you fish it. There is quite a bit of overlap between the two in terms of application, but if length wasn't an issue, I'd take the 76 every time. This isn't intended as a knock against the 7M, rather high praise for the 76MML.
How would you compare the 76MML-AGS to the Flyssa in terms of sensitivity balance and power?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:18 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:09 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:18 pm
How would you compare the 76MML-AGS to the Flyssa in terms of sensitivity balance and power?
The 76MML is more sensitive and more powerful than Flyssa, no doubt. I would have to swap out some reels to check balance points. I have Exist LT 3000-CXH on my 76MML and a smaller Exist 2003F-H on my Flyssa...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap