NRC001-M

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

NRC001-M

Post by poisonokie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:35 am

How and in what are you using yours?

I just got one of these and after trying it in a Steez and an SS SV, I can't get it to work with 12# fluoro at all. I thought it was designed for 10-14# fluoro. I know the Steez and SS both have weak magnets, especially the Steez, but I didn't expect such a light spool with a fixed inductor to be the wildest I've ever used. Even with all the side to side play taken out of the spool and the brakes on 100% it was still way too fast and prone to backlash. I was casting a flap slap (3/8oz) using a 65ML rod rated 3/16-1/2.
This is the way.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: NRC001-M

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:41 am

That is odd. I use my NRC001ms with different lines - all work great. Mono, fluoro, braid - all superb. I have 10lb Sunline Sniper on a NrC001m in a Steez SV TW and it is fantastic. Something wrong with the spool? Can you take it back to the seller for a replacement?
Last edited by Dalleinf on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:44 am

poisonokie wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:35 am

I just got one of these and after trying it in a Steez and an SS SV, I can't get it to work with 12# fluoro at all. I thought it was designed for 10-14# fluoro. I know the Steez and SS both have weak magnets, especially the Steez, but I didn't expect such a light spool with a fixed inductor to be the wildest I've ever used. Even with all the side to side play taken out of the spool and the brakes on 100% it was still way too fast and prone to backlash. I was casting a flap slap (3/8oz) using a 65ML rod rated 3/16-1/2.
The SS definitely doesn't have weak magnets :-s
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:23 am

389Maverick wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:44 am
poisonokie wrote:

They're almost identical to OG Steez magnets. They seem slightly more controlled, either because they're stronger or closer to the spool, but not much. Spools seem to behave about the same in either. The issue with casting on the SS was the height of the inductor on the stock spool. If you out any other spool in there it will sing.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:34 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:41 am
That is odd. I use my NRC001ms with different lines - all work great. Mono, fluoro, braid - all superb. I have 10lb Sunline Sniper on a NrC001m in a Steez SV TW and it is fantastic. Something wrong with the spool? Can you take it back to the seller for a replacement?
It looks fine to me but I don't have another to compare it to. I don't know what could possibly be wrong with it that wouldn't be blatantly obvious, though. What do the magnets look like in a Steez SV TW? Are they thick and grey or slim and silvery? I haven't tried it in a Zillion SV yet, and along with the Steez SV TW and T3 it's one of the reels they say they designed it for. I just wanted it to work in the Steez or SS SV 103hl's I have and didn't plan on using it in a Zillion.
This is the way.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:37 am

poisonokie wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:23 am
389Maverick wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:44 am
poisonokie wrote:

They're almost identical to OG Steez magnets. They seem slightly more controlled, either because they're stronger or closer to the spool, but not much. Spools seem to behave about the same in either. The issue with casting on the SS was the height of the inductor on the stock spool. If you out any other spool in there it will sing.
Inductor spring on the SS SV spool is weak, really weak, always thought magnets were stronger from what I've read, combine both of the aforementioned characteristics, and it makes for a poor distance achiever.

Couldn't tell you about the M, but the PG can be on the wilder side in my TN if not thumbed on the cast.
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:55 am

These spools were actually made specifically for the newer gen steez svtw, steez A and zillion svtw. I have mixed results putting these spools in different reels. For me my sssv favored the PG spool over the M. My Steez svtw the M is lights out but was way overbraked with a PG spool. My steez 105 Ltd the M spool is amazing. My zillion svtw the PG is much better. My steez A the PG spool is money same with my morethan pe 19. I throw different weight flouro on each of mine between 10-16 lb. I’m not sure why these spools don’t play so nice with some reels. When you find the right reel for it there’s no doubt how good they really are.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:02 am

389Maverick wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:37 am

Inductor spring on the SS SV spool is weak, really weak, always thought magnets were stronger from what I've read, combine both of the aforementioned characteristics, and it makes for a poor distance achiever.

Couldn't tell you about the M, but the PG can be on the wilder side in my TN if not thumbed on the cast.
The springs on all the SV reels seem pretty weak to me, but maybe they are weaker still on the SS. I think it mostly has to do with the rotor. That thing sticks up wayyy higher at rest than any other spool I've seen. If you slapped that SS sideplate on your TN I don't think you'd notice much of a difference at all. I tried that last night.

How much thumb? Because I was thinking that the amount of thumb or spool tension required to make the spool operable in that reel would negate the point of having such a light spool.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:08 am

domthewon wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:55 am
These spools were actually made specifically for the newer gen steez svtw, steez A and zillion svtw. I have mixed results putting these spools in different reels. For me my sssv favored the PG spool over the M. My Steez svtw the M is lights out but was way overbraked with a PG spool. My steez 105 Ltd the M spool is amazing. My zillion svtw the PG is much better. My steez A the PG spool is money same with my morethan pe 19. I throw different weight flouro on each of mine between 10-16 lb. I’m not sure why these spools don’t play so nice with some reels. When you find the right reel for it there’s no doubt how good they really are.
Thanks for this.
This is the way.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:10 am

Made specifically for the new Steez/Zillion series - are you sure?
I have used my 5-ish NRC001M spools in Steez SV TW, two different T3s (SV and 1016), two USDM SV103s, old and new Ryoga, Monoblock Grigio Stone - the spools work great in all reels. Great control - no particular need for thumbing - and very good distance.
Needless to say, I love the NRC001m spools.
If possible try the spool in one of the new steez/zillions ?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:17 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:10 am
I have used my 5-ish NRC001M spools in Steez SV TW, two different T3s (SV and 1016), two USDM SV103s, old and new Ryoga, Monoblock Grigio Stone - the spools work great in all reels. Great control - no particular need for thumbing - and very good distance.
Yeah, I'll try that tonight. Wonder what magnet swaps I could do to achieve the same results in the OG Steez 103...

I also have a T3 or two.
This is the way.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:20 am

Dalleinf wrote:
That’s what it says on the top of the package at least. I agree though the M works excellent in the steez svtw worked similarly in my sv103 but I put I different spool just for color reasons in mine. I never tried them in a t3, ryoga or monoblock so I can’t speak on that. They’re all 34 mm spools but for some reason they have been inconsistent in some reels in my experience the same with the PG in others.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:38 am

poisonokie wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:17 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Yeah, I'll try that tonight. Wonder what magnet swaps I could do to achieve the same results in the OG Steez 103...

I also have a T3 or two.
On second thoughts: With regard to FC line, I did get line loops when the spool was totally filled with line. I have since cut the amount of line down to perhaps 2/3-3/4 full spool and have used this very spool with FC on perhaps 20 outings this summer and early fall mainly in Steez/Ryoga/SV103. Love it...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:58 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:38 am

On second thoughts: With regard to FC line, I did get line loops when the spool was totally filled with line. I have since cut the amount of line down to perhaps 2/3-3/4 full spool and have used this very spool with FC on perhaps 20 outings this summer and early fall mainly in Steez/Ryoga/SV103. Love it...
I spooled it up to the beveled edge, so not completely, but probably closer to 4/5 than 3/4 full.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:59 pm

Holy ******' ****, this thing is totally ******' bad *** in the right reel! It's unusable in the Steez/SS SV but uncanny in the Zillion SV. It looks like the magnets are closer to the spool in the Zillion and that makes all the difference. On a side note, I don't see how you could improve much on the R+ Steez spool anyway, so I'm glad it worked out the way it did.
This is the way.