High end frog rod: heavy-ish surface veg

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

High end frog rod: heavy-ish surface veg

Post by Obz » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:47 pm

Mostly frog pads, matted milfoil and other matted veg(6-8 out of 10) walk the edges and open patches. So, looking for something Between H-XH not more than 7'6" that is fairly easy to walk with. I can walk with a broomstick but the slack I have to throw can lead to backslashes when bombing casts.

The top of my list right now is the st.croix LE 74H. I trust the build quality of st.croix and in my experience the MH rods fish heavier than their rating, if this is also true for their H rods think it would put me in the right "power zone".

I'm curious about the Steez AGS 74XH. Hoping it's not a broomstick.

I've considered the tatula elite ish 74H but the TT rod rack rating of 1.50 makes me think its too light for the thick stuff. Wouldn't frog with my glx 854.

Kinda skeptical of the expride 73XH and 76XH just heard breakage stories but would consider if either is ideal for my intended purpose.

Open to suggestions and will appreciate feedback from guys who have used any rods I've mentioned.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: High end frog rod: heavy-ish surface veg

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:46 pm

I have the St Croix 7'4 Heavy. It is not a brromstick and has a fairly fast tip that should def allow you to walk a frog. I personally would not use it for that technique since the reel seat is not comfortable to me for that kind of downwards motion.

I use a Steez XBD frog rod for that technique. It is essence the same as the 7'4 XHeavy AGS. The AGS is a bit lighter due to the guies. Works well and has a lot of horse power to get them out of the thickest stuff.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:44 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:46 pm
I have the St Croix 7'4 Heavy. It is not a brromstick and has a fairly fast tip that should def allow you to walk a frog. I personally would not use it for that technique since the reel seat is not comfortable to me for that kind of downwards motion.

I use a Steez XBD frog rod for that technique. It is essence the same as the 7'4 XHeavy AGS. The AGS is a bit lighter due to the guies. Works well and has a lot of horse power to get them out of the thickest stuff.

Honestly I want an xbd but it's discontinued. You have used the 74XH ags? I heard the ags tapers faster/stiffer from the OG steez line?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:44 am

Obz wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:44 am
freelancer27 wrote:

Honestly I want an xbd but it's discontinued. You have used the 74XH ags? I heard the ags tapers faster/stiffer from the OG steez line?
I just handles it in the store. Another user @dom is using the AGS for frogging and he seems to be pretty happy with it.

The AGS might be a bit overkill imo for a frogg rod. I had used my XBD for a heavy jig rod before I upgraded to something more sensitive.
Cheers.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:13 pm

I’m pretty sure I’m the Dom he was talking about ^ :lol: . I have been using the AGS 741 for a little while now 10+ outings with it and owned the original XBD as well. The action and taper are similar. It’s very easy to walk frogs in open water with in my opinion but has plenty of power to pull fish away from cover. It is also lighter in hand, better balanced, and more sensitive. Most people mention the ags guides as a concern due to material but it’s not one of mine. If you buy from an authorized dealer you are covered. I have 5 rods with ags guides and have had zero issues with them so far. If 7’4” isn’t too long for you to work a frog everything else about the rod is excellent to me for that purpose. I replaced a lost XBD with this AGS and don’t feel the need for a replacement xbd anymore. My sentiments are gone with my original. I was using more rare and expensive rods for my frogging duties til I strapped a daiwa HLC to the AGS. This was my original thread from when I found out the XBD was retired and has a couple pics of the balance and taper I believe.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:20 pm

I use a 7' frog rod and the shorter length and better balance makes skipping, waking the dog, and casting for accuracy much easier for me and I don't feel like there's any impact on casting distance since part of the short length is owed to a shorter handle, which also helps with walking the dog. Just food for thought.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:19 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:20 pm
I use a 7' frog rod and the shorter length and better balance makes skipping, waking the dog, and casting for accuracy much easier for me and I don't feel like there's any impact on casting distance since part of the short length is owed to a shorter handle, which also helps with walking the dog. Just food for thought.
I agree about the shorter length. My frog rod is a Falcon Cara Jason Christie frog rod. It's 6'11".
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:00 pm

freelancer27 wrote:

I cannot agree more, the 7'4" heavy, is Not a good frog rod IMHO
Im awaiting the 7'2" poison adrena to compare to my XBD rod hopefully i will have more for you this weekend.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:53 am

I use the 7'5 Irod Air. Love it for all things frog. Run through some pretty heavy mats and slop with no issues. Handle is a touch longer than some like, I know my father in law modified his from a local rod builder and now it fits him perfectly.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:59 am

I have to say if you are looking for something for hollow bodied frogs I will have to throw the latest iteration of the evoluzion White Python out there for High end and situational fishing of vegetation and froggin'. The specs suggest something more powerful IMHO but the over all action seems to lend itself for throwing hollow bodies as well as buzz toads IMHO :-k . It has enough action in the tip for launching said lure and for letting the buckets having a better chance at inhaling the bait on the first blow up and keeping the hooks/hook pinned and enough back up power for a hook set(subjective) and enough power reserved to pull from vegetation(all super subjective). I personally like having a fish pinned more than wrenching it away from cover or vegetation as for me I rather go to the fish where it is nestled in and slowly lift and peel the ghillie suit off. This is just my cup of tea as I have a lot of experience doing so in a kayak using lighter line than most would want for cover situations. Keep in mind this is all my opinion and subjective material and I have yet to throw hollow bodies or any type of frog set up on the white python as I have other rods that I like for throwing scum frogs when time calls for it here in AZ but now I may give a it a try for the sake of trying it. Good luck in your search sounds like a fun ride good luck with all the suggestions and opinions, very subjective subject matter as always. 8-)

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:26 pm

domthewon wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:13 pm
I’m pretty sure I’m the Dom he was talking about ^ :lol: . I have been using the AGS 741 for a little while now 10+ outings with it and owned the original XBD as well. The action and taper are similar. It’s very easy to walk frogs in open water with in my opinion but has plenty of power to pull fish away from cover. It is also lighter in hand, better balanced, and more sensitive. Most people mention the ags guides as a concern due to material but it’s not one of mine. If you buy from an authorized dealer you are covered. I have 5 rods with ags guides and have had zero issues with them so far. If 7’4” isn’t too long for you to work a frog everything else about the rod is excellent to me for that purpose. I replaced a lost XBD with this AGS and don’t feel the need for a replacement xbd anymore. My sentiments are gone with my original. I was using more rare and expensive rods for my frogging duties til I strapped a daiwa HLC to the AGS. This was my original thread from when I found out the XBD was retired and has a couple pics of the balance and taper I believe.
Thanks man that's very helpful! Ill try to find your other thread. Any chance you have the AGS 71H? I've been interested in one for bottom contact.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:37 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:00 pm
freelancer27 wrote:

I cannot agree more, the 7'4" heavy, is Not a good frog rod IMHO
Im awaiting the 7'2" poison adrena to compare to my XBD rod hopefully i will have more for you this weekend.
Thanks for the good info guys. Curious how that adreana works for ya

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:12 pm

Obz wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:26 pm
domthewon wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:13 pm
Thanks man that's very helpful! Ill try to find your other thread. Any chance you have the AGS 71H? I've been interested in one for bottom contact.
Here’s that thread I thought I posted it here my bad.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=82094

Sorry all my other Ags guided rods are the Racing Designs.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:55 am

For heavy-ish surface veg I vote Black Jungle Power Versatile. Short handle, casts frogs well and is powerful with moderate action.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:53 pm

Obz wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:47 pm
Mostly frog pads, matted milfoil and other matted veg(6-8 out of 10) walk the edges and open patches. So, looking for something Between H-XH not more than 7'6" that is fairly easy to walk with. I can walk with a broomstick but the slack I have to throw can lead to backslashes when bombing casts.

The top of my list right now is the st.croix LE 74H. I trust the build quality of st.croix and in my experience the MH rods fish heavier than their rating, if this is also true for their H rods think it would put me in the right "power zone".

I'm curious about the Steez AGS 74XH. Hoping it's not a broomstick.

I want I give you accurate information and so I came out with the st. Croix. It’s a great stick and one that you can skip a jig with.
As was mentioned it has a great tip. Does it have the backbone to set the hook on a frog ............. yes but not in heavy cover.
It’s better suited for toads

I've considered the tatula elite ish 74H but the TT rod rack rating of 1.50 makes me think its too light for the thick stuff. Wouldn't frog with my glx 854.

Kinda skeptical of the expride 73XH and 76XH just heard breakage stories but would consider if either is ideal for my intended purpose.

Open to suggestions and will appreciate feedback from guys who have used any rods I've mentioned.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible