Where have all the Full handle Rods Gone

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Where have all the Full handle Rods Gone

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:03 pm

As I looked around for something interesting to play around with I noticed that there aren't many full handle rods left.
Dobyns seems like the last of the breed of rod makers to offer a full handle throughout. I dont understand why that is,
I have went through all of the casting rods on the TWH site

( and I am glad I did.. Some of the rods that came out are no longer made and I am not sure if the company went under or not.. For example G. rods has no listing of rods.. It always makes me skeptical when new rods come out.. I'm waiting to see how long Taipan Rod sticks around, seem like they've been getting good reviews. )

and there is a very small percentage of rods available with a full handle. I guess one has to just give it time and see the full handles come back around.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Where have all the Full handle Rods Gone

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:24 pm

It's not a new thing, been this way for a while now. I don't care for split grips, so I took the custom route and haven't looked back.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:37 am

I also prefer the full grip, but they are getting few and far between. Hope they do come back around.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:55 am

Personally, i never understood the point of shaving off weight at the section of the rod that balances it

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:06 am

If executed correctly, I think a split grip both looks and feels better.
This is the way.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:14 am

SSS wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:55 am
Personally, i never understood the point of shaving off weight at the section of the rod that balances it
You have a point. At least if they are trending to split grips they should add weight in the butt cap or piece to help with balance. I do that on most of my rods.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:43 am

tditox4 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:14 am
SSS wrote:
You have a point. At least if they are trending to split grips they should add weight in the butt cap or piece to help with balance. I do that on most of my rods.
Same here. All my custom rod have some type of counterbalance added. It seems strange to say, but adding weight in the right place makes a rod less fatiguing to use and actually makes it more sensitive, as well.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:52 am

g.loomis glx, imx pro, and conquest all have full cork!

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:26 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:43 am
tditox4 wrote:
SSS wrote:
Same here. All my custom rod have some type of counterbalance added. It seems strange to say, but adding weight in the right place makes a rod less fatiguing to use and actually makes it more sensitive, as well.
Yup!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:13 am

Love my split grips, no doubt about that :lol: but I do agree some rods feel better with full grip, especially rods in the 7’3”+ range. Never felt a rod under 7’ that felt tip heavy in use though, so make them light as possible! There’s definitely a few things that stand out in use with split grips that I really like compared to full grips.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:50 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:43 am
tditox4 wrote:
SSS wrote:
I fully agree.
i have my little pxtr and it just balances well with the full handle rod I have.. but any other rod and there is an issue
It didnt dawn on me until I looked at the two rods side by side.. Someone else mentioned that G-loomis has some full handle cork rods and you are correct. Thats for pointing that out.. I was looking more at the GLX line up since I already had one.. Until I handle a conquest I can't decide if its something Id want but I've heard good things about them
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:57 pm

Megabass Orochi XX as well as some US Destroyers.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:12 am

St Croix has full handle options, triumph on the lower end and on up to the legend

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:12 am

I like both, but prefer the looks of a full handle myself.

GLX 842c is still one of my favorite rods of all time...

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:33 pm

Goldie having yet another woke moment ...