105 SV vs 103 SV spool

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Post Reply
User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

105 SV vs 103 SV spool

Post by Johnny A » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:49 am

Would putting a 103 SV spool into a Steez LTD SV 105XH 8.1 be defeating the purpose of the reel? I'm damn near spooling the reel with 22lb Defier Armillo and an Evergreen Justine 95. I really don't want to bring one reel for a Justine 95 or One's Bug and another outfit just for the 115 size baits. Actually, that's not the issue, I just have a 17' aluminum rig, space is tight.
Thanks

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4835
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: 105 SV vs 103 SV spool

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:10 am

Johnny A wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:49 am
Would putting a 103 SV spool into a Steez LTD SV 105XH 8.1 be defeating the purpose of the reel? I'm damn near spooling the reel with 22lb Defier Armillo and an Evergreen Justine 95. I really don't want to bring one reel for a Justine 95 or One's Bug and another outfit just for the 115 size baits. Actually, that's not the issue, I just have a 17' aluminum rig, space is tight.
Thanks
No, that 103 spool would be fine. That spool doesn't know anything about what reel it is in, and vice versa. The strength of the magnets are what makes the difference, not the reel itself. Try it and let us know how that spool behaves. It should do well, assuming the magnets are the same strength as other Steez reels.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: 105 SV vs 103 SV spool

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:49 am
Would putting a 103 SV spool into a Steez LTD SV 105XH 8.1 be defeating the purpose of the reel? I'm damn near spooling the reel with 22lb Defier Armillo and an Evergreen Justine 95. I really don't want to bring one reel for a Justine 95 or One's Bug and another outfit just for the 115 size baits. Actually, that's not the issue, I just have a 17' aluminum rig, space is tight.
Thanks
Maybe try 20# braid with an Armilo leader? That's basically what I do with such baits and a 105 steez spool. I throw larger baits on a heavier rod with a 1016 spool, but I still just use 30# braid to leader.
Still waters run deep.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5717
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: 105 SV vs 103 SV spool

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:58 pm

If running 22 lb test, I'm not using the 105. The two spools are almost identical in performance. You need the 103 bud.

User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

Re: 105 SV vs 103 SV spool

Post by Johnny A » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:34 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:58 pm
If running 22 lb test, I'm not using the 105. The two spools are almost identical in performance. You need the 103 bud.
I'm trying to look at it from a lot of different angles. I know 22lb is heavy for open, basically snag free water but it's got current since it's an impoundment. Most of the fish, 97% largemouth in the 1 1/2 to 2 lb ballpark but I've picked up a few up to 6lbs + a few channel cats that were in the mood for a topwater.
I was using an Evergreen Pantera, a 6'2" medium action rod but the rod was just too short for the distances I need to cast. Now I'm using a MB Flat Side Special. Speaking of increased distances, there's also the bass busting schooling shad, another tactic requiring line more line.
I do have a few 1516 Zillions but limited boat space again.
Finally, I ordered some 19lb Armillo, we'll see how that works. Probably still not enough though.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2175
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:57 pm

Re: 105 SV vs 103 SV spool

Post by E73Bass » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:41 am

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:08 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:49 am
Would putting a 103 SV spool into a Steez LTD SV 105XH 8.1 be defeating the purpose of the reel? I'm damn near spooling the reel with 22lb Defier Armillo and an Evergreen Justine 95. I really don't want to bring one reel for a Justine 95 or One's Bug and another outfit just for the 115 size baits. Actually, that's not the issue, I just have a 17' aluminum rig, space is tight.
Thanks
Maybe try 20# braid with an Armilo leader? That's basically what I do with such baits and a 105 steez spool. I throw larger baits on a heavier rod with a 1016 spool, but I still just use 30# braid to leader.

Keep in mind if you are switching back and forth between baits and using fluoro... that leader keeps getting shorter and thus retying new leader material on more then once.

Are you trying to finesse and power fish with one set up ?

User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

Re: 105 SV vs 103 SV spool

Post by Johnny A » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:58 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:58 pm
If running 22 lb test, I'm not using the 105. The two spools are almost identical in performance. You need the 103 bud.
There was something else with the Steez 103 vs LTD SV 105 8.1. I don't like the feel of the Steez 103, it's too light or toyish or something. The finish of the LTD feels more metallic. I could never get used to the feel of a the standard Steez. [-(

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1141
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 12:24 pm
Location: Donkin, Nova Scotia

Re: 105 SV vs 103 SV spool

Post by adam lancia » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:26 am

I recall someone comparing inductor heights from the different SV spools and noting significant differences. I'd say that ad long as you have a comparable inductor and spring on the 103 spool you're installing, it'll perform very similarly to the stock 105.

User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

Re: 105 SV vs 103 SV spool

Post by Johnny A » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:10 am

adam lancia wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:26 am
I recall someone comparing inductor heights from the different SV spools and noting significant differences. I'd say that ad long as you have a comparable inductor and spring on the 103 spool you're installing, it'll perform very similarly to the stock 105.
I ordered the Daiwa 103 SV from japantackle the other day. That and a Daiwa 90mm handle.

Post Reply