Handle knob problems

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Handle knob problems

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 am

I have a Daiwa Japan SS SV103 baitcaster. I've had it for a couple years now and done a lot of cranking with it. Only problem I ever had with it was the short handle. So I finally ordered a longer carbon fiber handle from the spool high speed bearings website since I was already ordering new spool bearings for it from there. I put the new handle on and put the stock Daiwa knobs on the new handle and when I tighten the little screws all the way down the knobs won't even turn. I loosened the screws just enough for the knobs to turn. I went fishing and within 10-20 minutes of cranking one of the knobs had came loose to the point it was about to fall off. I noticed every time the knob turns backwards it's loosening the little screws. I noticed when I took the screws out they had a little blue loc-tite on them so should I use more loc-tite and tighten them down and loosen them so the knobs turn and then the loc-tite will keep them tight or am I doing something else wrong? This is the first time I've ever taken knobs off so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Handle knob problems

Post by Johnny A » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:58 am

I noticed the blue Loc-tite many years back and decided that's it's probably the best course of action to put a little dab on and not worry about it.

illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:07 am

I will do that then. Thank you sir.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:53 pm

Are you sure there aren't any thin shims on the knobs, handle posts or bearings? They can be hard to see sometimes.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:01 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:53 pm
Are you sure there aren't any thin shims on the knobs, handle posts or bearings? They can be hard to see sometimes.
X2, would check for shims.

illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:41 pm

There were little tiny shims underneath the knobs when I pulled them off the factory handle. I put them back on the new.handle.