Pond Fishing Setup

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Pond Fishing Setup

Post by goldrod » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:25 pm

What are you taking with you when you goto a pond or maybe some little water in your area?
Something that you could take with you on your boat but is more preferred for the ponds or even beating the banks.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pond Fishing Setup

Post by poisonokie » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:30 pm

That's about all I do, lol.
This is the way.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:28 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:30 pm
Trust me, I have learned that it’s better than towing your boat two hours just to fish the shoreline.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:37 pm

These days I’m about 65:35 bank:boat. But I live on a pretty hefty body of water so the pull is strong to hit the bank. I usually start out with 3 rods on these daily walkabouts-1 single hook moving (usually underspin), one treble (jerk, shallow squarebill, or trap), and 1 bottom contact or just worm. I’ll set 1 or 2 down along the way if I find they’re not in play on that day and might backtrack to switch out. I don’t usually keep beater rods around as I tend to donate well loved rods to local kids at some point in their lifetime. I take what I would usually fish, but I won’t take low or no scar enthusiast gear that I’m still admiring because shhiz happens on these outings at times.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:11 pm

I have the means but not always the energy to hook up and drag the boat to the lake. Sometimes I just don’t want to. And I find a pond to help my fix.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:34 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:28 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:30 pm
Trust me, I have learned that it’s better than towing your boat two hours just to fish the shoreline.
Exactly. I feel like that boat gets in way more than anything. I'm just ridiculously busy all the time, though, so I have to squeeze in what I can get.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:14 pm

99% of all my fishing is from shore now. Im so busy, I just fish my nearby ponds now. I sold both my boats a few yrs back. If I get a wild hair to fish a reservoir now, I just borrow 1 of my dad's 5 boats....seriously, 3 bass boats and 2 electric-only boats. :shock:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:19 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:14 pm
99% of all my fishing is from shore now. Im so busy, I just fish my nearby ponds now. I sold both my boats a few yrs back. If I get a wild hair to fish a reservoir now, I just borrow 1 of my dad's 5 boats....seriously, 3 bass boats and 2 electric-only boats. :shock:
I've considered selling my boat..

I want a sports bike but I dont want to fall off it.. ](*,)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:30 pm

Theres only 2 kinds of people who ride motorcycles-those who have wrecked and those who are going to wreck. My younger brother just had his 3rd bike accident, and he doesn't drive crazy at all. He has a severely dislocated shoulder and some road rash. He is having surgery this Thursday to fix that shoulder. He has been fortunate that he was watching and laid the bike down to avoid a much worse accident each time. So.e people never see it coming. If I was single like him, I might consider it....but I have a wife and 2 daughters depending on me to come home to them every day.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:36 pm

Btw, I use all my gear while walking the ponds, but I'm very careful.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:10 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:19 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:14 pm
I've considered selling my boat..

I want a sports bike but I dont want to fall off it.. ](*,)
Selling your boat is blasphemy, unless you have access to another boat, kayak, or floating object! :D I own a tournament rigged bass boat that I fish out of about 30-50 days a year. I spend another 50 or so evenings a year beating the bank at the golf course ponds in my area. The short evening outings are often spent brushing up on a technique that I will employ the next time on my boat. So, I am usually taking a rod to the ponds that is technique specific. I generally take a 7 foot MH rod and 15-20 pound fluoro if I am going to fish multiple techniques. Skirted baits are my specialty. So, I take a backpack full of spinnerbaits, bladed jigs, swimjigs, jigs, buzzbaits, and trailers.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:17 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:36 pm
I actually feel a lot more comfortable using my fancier stuff out bank beating versus taking it out on a boat or kayak. I do only bring one combo at a time while on foot and I feel like I can be a lot more mindful then when I have 3-5 combos to look after.

Also tell us more about the electric boats, my biggest and closest bass waters are electric-only and if I ever add a boat to my yak-fleet I think an primarily electric one would make a lot of sense.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:55 am

Around here, watershed lakes are widespread. Because they were impounded solely for drinking water, no gas powered engines are allowed, and no fixed docks are allowed (some allow floating docks). Those green fish get big down here quickly, plus there are a lot of cattle ponds flooded out as part of filling the lake. Here in GA, every mudhole in every cow pasture has a 10# bass, so there's ample opportunity for a double digit bass even just after a new lake opens for fishing.
Ibe guy I know has two 5-hp Briggs and Stratton electric motors on his tin boat, along with LiPo batteries. GPS says it will do 17 mph. He always gets to the good holes before everyone else.
There are several local jonboat tourney trails as a result of these lakes. I have 4 of these lakes within 45 minutes of my house-Varner, Bear Creek, Hard Labor Creek and Black Shoals. The other 2 are in state parks and allow gas engines(10-hp limit)-Lake Rutledge and Marbury Creek watershed. On Varner, I've seen a guy with a 9 lbs bass in his limit that didnt win the tourney. I always go to the weigh-ins and I've seen a 39 lb. limit and a 37 lb. limit out of Varner. Randall Fitzpatrick, owner of Hi-Power swimbaits, has caught and released a fish over 15# there.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:00 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Plus you have 250 reel covers to keep those shiny gems pristine lol!
!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:55 am

ss30378 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:00 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Plus you have 250 reel covers to keep those shiny gems pristine lol!
!
Absolutely