Tatula Elite vs Curado K

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tatula Elite vs Curado K

Post by LAGVPI99 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:41 am

I've used all versions of the Tat but the Elite and F/P...and I have the Curado K.

For those that have used both...what is your experience?

I really like the K but I'm interested in the Elite.

I have tried the 100 and it was OK - nothing special.

Will be used on a 7'3" MH Daiwa Kage for a versatile setup.

Thanks

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tatula Elite vs Curado K

Post by fishballer06 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:19 am

I own two K's and a Scorpion MGL. I also just got an Elite last week. I've only got about an hour on the Elite so far, but I will say this. I'm getting the same distance with the Elite throwing at 75% power as I do with my Shimano's throwing at 100% power. I'm still getting used to the the braking system on the Elite and I was getting some backlash whenever I would put too much power into it.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:17 am

fishballer06 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:19 am
I own two K's and a Scorpion MGL. I also just got an Elite last week. I've only got about an hour on the Elite so far, but I will say this. I'm getting the same distance with the Elite throwing at 75% power as I do with my Shimano's throwing at 100% power. I'm still getting used to the the braking system on the Elite and I was getting some backlash whenever I would put too much power into it.
Isn't that the main difference between daiwa and Shimano? The different breaking systems? You can really whip a Shimano but a daiwa is more about a smooth motion and less effort when casting?

I haven't tried Shimano so those are real questions.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:58 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:17 am
fishballer06 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:19 am
Isn't that the main difference between daiwa and Shimano? The different breaking systems? You can really whip a Shimano but a daiwa is more about a smooth motion and less effort when casting?

I haven't tried Shimano so those are real questions.
Shimanos are centrifugal. So if you "whip" hard, the brakes are just gonna kick out and hit the brake drum faster. Where as the Daiwas are magnetic with the inductor going into the magnets, and there is only soo much braking force going to be applied before it "caps" off and then its "keep on spinning". I dont know if I explained it write on paper, but I know what I mean in my head. :lol:
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:28 pm

It seems to me that Daiwas work better with a fluid casting motion, so if you put one on a crisp rod that loads well the effortlessness of the cast is only match by the difficulty of wiping the smile off your face.
This is the way.

Lightning
Angler
Angler

Post by Lightning » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:09 am

I have both and the Elite is the better reel. Casts farther, is smoother and I can also skip better with it. I only have the 6.3 model. Want to try the P/F model next.

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:24 pm

Just took my first few casts with the Elite tonight. Initially, I like the K form factor better but the Elite seems to be as good or better caster. Will see how they fish side x side.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:52 am

Reporting back after my second outing with my Elite.

This time I respooled with braid and got the brakes dialed in. The Elite is definitely the further caster than the K.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:04 pm

fishballer06 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:52 am
Reporting back after my second outing with my Elite.

This time I respooled with braid and got the brakes dialed in. The Elite is definitely the further caster than the K.
Which Elite do you have?

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:39 am

7:1 Long Cast model