Deep cranking rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Deep cranking rod

Post by bronzebacks » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:48 pm

I've been throwing sk 6xd's and dt16's on a gen1 orochi xx emtf and it seames to do ok. I think i want a better rod just for deep cranking. What would y'all recommend? The cheaper the better as i don't do it but a few times a year.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Deep cranking rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:36 pm

I have used a composite KVD one years ago as well as a Daiwa Zillion 8ft crank rod. Both would handle 6xd and dt16s well.

I use a custom St Croix Legend Glass (7'11 H blank extended into a 2 piece rod). Rod is really nice. Buttery smooth glass feel. I would like it to have a little less backbone because I use braid/leader for deep cranks. I used it with FC and it is nice too. I like braid with glass because I still get feel, great casting and rip through weeds better...to name a few.

A crank rod, on the surface, isnt really too hard to pick out. Once you get into it more, you develop preferences and really analyze the equipment.

You may like graphite/composite because of the XX you been using. You may use glass and love the feeling. You may say "Idk what I use" after a while.

I really grew fond of the glass/braid combo. Others use graphite/mono and everything in between.

I will say this, I hated deep cranking. Once I started catching fish and grew confidence with it, it became one of my go-to techniques. When fishing new water, I will have my deep crank rod ready to go.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:21 am

Glass, composite or graphite :-k

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:35 pm

I also have that 8' glass composite Zillion and aside from the fact that it's actually 7'11", it's a killer cranking rod. It's a great deep cranking rod, yeah, but it's also good for 1/2 squarebills and shallower cranks, too, not to mention straight-pull topwaters. Because it has a composite construction (s-glass and graphite) it's actually quite sensitive and can be used with either fluoro or braid, no problem. Too bad they're discontinued and probably hard to come by now...

If you can't find one, the St. Croix Legend Glass would be an excellent substitute.
This is the way.

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hookfynn » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:18 pm

cost effective way to go on it is the tatula elite 8ft cranking rod. i have 2 and theyre pretty legit. based off that zillion model theyre talking about.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:53 am

hookfynn wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:18 pm
cost effective way to go on it is the tatula elite 8ft cranking rod. i have 2 and theyre pretty legit. based off that zillion model theyre talking about.
Is that rod thick at the bottom or does it look straight graphite until the first guide and then looks obviously glass? The Zillion looks like it's composite all the way to the butt while the OG Tatula glad rods were graphite in the bottom third and composite from there to the tip. I'm just curious.
This is the way.

Jkitchens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jkitchens » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:32 pm

I have a Dobyns Champion 804CB that I use for all of my crankbaits up to a 6XD and it handles them pretty well. The Champion 805CB might be a better option if you’re throwing just deeper divers. I’ve fished a bunch of rods and I keep coming back to Dobyns CB rods, I seem to lose less fish on them than anything else I’ve fished.
Last edited by Jkitchens on Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Ranger RT 188 w / 115 PRO XS CT

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:43 pm

i'm not a deep cranker, although every couple of years i tell myself to dedicate some time to it. last time i thought i needed a deep set up, i got a 7'9 one3 defy crank rod. i was actually pretty impressed for $60!! i also have the 7' & 7'3 in the chrome series, and it's a step up from the defy. i think they can be had for probably $65. they have the 7'9 in that line as well.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Take a look at the Megabass Orochi XX Launcher.

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hookfynn » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:08 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:53 am
hookfynn wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:18 pm
Is that rod thick at the bottom or does it look straight graphite until the first guide and then looks obviously glass? The Zillion looks like it's composite all the way to the butt while the OG Tatula glad rods were graphite in the bottom third and composite from there to the tip. I'm just curious.
it is very much like the way the KVD crank rods look. thick at the bottom with a gradual taper to the top. nothing like the OG tatula crankbait rods. i have had both the OG tatula and the new tatula elites. so i know what you're talking about.