“Finesse” Jig rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

“Finesse” Jig rod

Post by kstephes033 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:24 pm

Hey guys, just wanting some input into what guys are using for throwing “Finesse” jigs. Now I put a quote in because when I’m talking Finesse I’m meaning more of a Mike Iaconelli mini flip 3/8-1/2oz, OutKast Feider stealth Jig in 3/8-1/2, or anything similar. I will occasionally go down to a 1/4oz but very rarely. I am also throwing these mainly in grass (milfoil and coontail) usually anywhere from 12-25ft of water and the weeds are pretty thick up here in MN in those situations. The jigs I use tend to have a little more stout hook vs a standard Finesse Jig but not to the point of being a full flipping style hook on them. I am planning on trying braid this upcoming season so wanting something more along the lines of a mod fast to fast, nothing in the extra fast range.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: “Finesse” Jig rod

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:06 pm

What is your budget? And is there a brand of rods that you favor?
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:18 pm

I use them quite often so not a big deal on budget but would like to keep under $400, no brand preference, really only criteria is the mod fast to fast action and over 7’ since I am fishing fairly deep water and want the extra line pickup.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:52 pm

What you need to find is an older model Falcon Cara T7 Finesse jig rod(not the 2019 rod). If you don't like cork or the ACS seat, there was a Clark Wendlandt signature series, same blank, but with the ECS seat and EVA grips. Sensitivity is great, the rods are durable and lightweight. rated 3/16 to 5/8 oz, and those ratings are true. I fished a 1/2 oz. jig plus beaver, and it handled it well enough for me, even in hydrilla and in 20 ft of wood-choked water. I seriously miss those 2 rods!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:56 pm

Finesse rod and heavy vegetation usually don't go together. Your going to have to be careful if you pull a bass out of the lake with a big wad of millfoil with a finesse rod. I like the Dobyns DX 795 Flip when I'm fishing jigs in heavy milfoil. It has enough tip to pitch 3/8 oz more so 1/2 oz jigs but stout enough to pull a bass out with a big wad of weeds.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:10 pm

GLX843MBR

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:55 pm

Black cumara 7’2” medhvy
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:01 am

For thick MN weeds, I think you will have a hard time finding a rod light enough for the finesse jigs but stout enough to rip them from weeds. My Kistler 6'8" LMHF Helium3 is a great candidate for your search, but ripping things from weeds sometimes takes a little force, since the tip is pretty soft. Super sensitive rod though. If you want to meet up and put your reel(s) on it (or the 6'9MHXF) to see how it feels and flexes, I'd be happy to let you try it out. Just shoot me a PM.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:36 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:55 pm
Black cumara 7’2” medhvy
you will never pry my cumara from my hands! even when i'm dead and cold!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:36 pm

Sounds to me like what you need is a MH/F-XF jig rod like this:

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=10715
This is the way.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:03 pm

godshippy wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:36 am
goldrod wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:55 pm
Black cumara 7’2” medhvy
you will never pry my cumara from my hands! even when i'm dead and cold!
It’s a good rod and I think it would be perfect for what he’s looking for. The 6’8” of the same power would be a good choice too!!
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:39 am

First of all, neither of those jigs are finesse. Those are compact jigs, a very different animal, a regular jig with a compact profile. A 7/16oz Eakins jig is a finesse jig, lighter hook and thinner skirt, this is a big difference so you don't need a finesse jig rod. For what you want to do I think the Loomis IMX-Pro 854C JWR will work perfectly. It is a fast action rod with plenty of power without being a broom stick, and to be honest most of the Loomis offerings in a 4 power will serve your needs well.
Barlow's Tackle

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:48 am

Thank you, I was struggling when I was posting to find the word compact haha, for some reason only the word Finesse came to mind but yes you are correct I am talking compact jigs. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and there are a few I am going to check out.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:48 am

smalljaw wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:39 am
First of all, neither of those jigs are finesse. Those are compact jigs, a very different animal, a regular jig with a compact profile. A 7/16oz Eakins jig is a finesse jig, lighter hook and thinner skirt, this is a big difference so you don't need a finesse jig rod. For what you want to do I think the Loomis IMX-Pro 854C JWR will work perfectly. It is a fast action rod with plenty of power without being a broom stick, and to be honest most of the Loomis offerings in a 4 power will serve your needs well.

Thanks for pointing that out. So many jig labels these days.
Than you have the infamous megabass swim jig with the blade in it only it’s not a swim jig with a blade on it after you get bit. It’s a pretend jig. As in once you loose the blade pretend that you didn’t spend $11 on a normal swim jig

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:22 pm

smalljaw wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:39 am
Agreed, especially if a trailer is added. Just grab a MH jig stick and go to work. :D