—Daiwa Catalina TW 4.9:1–

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

—Daiwa Catalina TW 4.9:1–

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:14 am

Looking to buy this reel from Tackle Trap as they have a 4.9:1 ratio for crankin. Just curious if this reel is solid in performance. I can’t really find much about it.

For perspective, I have a few Steez reels and Zillions and SV 103s etc. I wanna know if it will fit in with these reels. It does not have an SV spool. Would I be better off sticking to reels I know ?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: —Daiwa Catalina TW 4.9:1–

Post by bronzefly » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:08 am

I've only had a little time on the water with the Catalina TW so far, but I have one each 7.3:1 and 4.9:1 in left hand. I paired the 7.3:1 with a Megabass F6-72X Wild Bunch Carbon Head, 20# Sunline Supernatural Mono, and a Hog Farmer BFL Rig. The reel holds plenty of line and the casting distance was fantastic. The reel feels very solid, smooth, powerful, and surprisingly compact. The 100mm handle and clicking drag are nice additions as well.

I'm also a Steez, SV 103, Zillion fan, have been for a long time. I'm very happy with the Catalina TW so far, it feels like a solid, higher end Daiwa with Mag Z braking and a free floating spool. The price on them at The Tackle Trap with the TT10 discount code makes getting one (or more) of these hard to pass up... under $200 for a super nice JDM Daiwa...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:04 am

Hey thanks for the information. That price tag makes it worth it alone haha. Just didn’t know what the reel was like. Thanks!

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:10 am

The price certainly got me today, my wife is going to kill me this close to Christmas.

GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:59 am

The deals never come at an ideal time 😂

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Is it wrong that I want to put SLP purple parts on it and then mount it to my Hyuga 72H.
https://youtu.be/IipEl3Zhi1w

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:24 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:08 am
I've only had a little time on the water with the Catalina TW so far, but I have one each 7.3:1 and 4.9:1 in left hand. I paired the 7.3:1 with a Megabass F6-72X Wild Bunch Carbon Head, 20# Sunline Supernatural Mono, and a Hog Farmer BFL Rig. The reel holds plenty of line and the casting distance was fantastic. The reel feels very solid, smooth, powerful, and surprisingly compact. The 100mm handle and clicking drag are nice additions as well.

I'm also a Steez, SV 103, Zillion fan, have been for a long time. I'm very happy with the Catalina TW so far, it feels like a solid, higher end Daiwa with Mag Z braking and a free floating spool. The price on them at The Tackle Trap with the TT10 discount code makes getting one (or more) of these hard to pass up... under $200 for a super nice JDM Daiwa...
Does it have an aluminum or Zaion handle side plate?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:33 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:24 pm
Aluminum. This reel is solid, smooth, and refined. I'm very impressed with it at this point.

Here's some translated text from the Daiwa Japan site.

■ Robust super metal housing
The handle side plate, main frame, and brake set plate are metalized.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:06 am

Ordered Wednesday and just hot back from fishing it. The Tackle Trap rocks!

The reel is amazing, fit and finish are top notch Daiwa. The clicking drag sounds better than my Morethan. It will make an excellent big bait reel.

It was a bit finicky with #15 floro. The strange thing was the braking profile. I could whip overhand casts but even soft roll cast were blowing up. I did successfully cast a 110 jerk bait to a 1oz trap. The trap was launched of course.

I will most likely swap out for #40 braid and see how it reacts with less aerodynamic baits.

Very pleased and thanks again TT.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:40 am

Ordered Wednesday and just hot back from fishing it. The Tackle Trap rocks!

The reel is amazing, fit and finish are top notch Daiwa. The clicking drag sounds better than my Morethan. It will make an excellent big bait reel.

It was a bit finicky with #15 floro. The strange thing was the braking profile. I could whip overhand casts but even soft roll cast were blowing up. I did successfully cast a 110 jerk bait to a 1oz trap. The trap was launched of course.

I will most likely swap out for #40 braid and see how it reacts with less aerodynamic baits.

Very pleased and thanks again TTT.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:50 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:33 am
LowRange wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:24 pm
Aluminum. This reel is solid, smooth, and refined. I'm very impressed with it at this point.

Here's some translated text from the Daiwa Japan site.

■ Robust super metal housing
The handle side plate, main frame, and brake set plate are metalized.
How do you think the 7.3 will handle higher resistance removing baits like big spinnerbaits? I had a 7.2 BPS ProQ that couldn't handle larger spinnerbaits without feeling like the handle was set in concrete.

I'm looking to pair a Catalina TW to a 72H Hyuga and fish anything from frogs to big spinnerbaits and blade baits.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:57 am

Not a problem with resistance. The reel has plenty of power and the 100mm handle helps a lot too.

The casting may be an issue with blades as the catch the air. To me, with floro, it is a very wild beast.

Looking at Ray's and DIY spool options.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:42 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:50 pm
How do you think the 7.3 will handle higher resistance removing baits like big spinnerbaits? I had a 7.2 BPS ProQ that couldn't handle larger spinnerbaits without feeling like the handle was set in concrete.

I'm looking to pair a Catalina TW to a 72H Hyuga and fish anything from frogs to big spinnerbaits and blade baits.
I've been throwing a Hog Farmer BFL rig with 20# Sunline Supernatural on the Catalina TW 7.3 with no issues whatsoever. It feels smooth, powerful, and connected. I haven't found it to be wild at all, rather smooth and nicely controlled...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:57 am

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:42 am
I've been throwing a Hog Farmer BFL rig with 20# Sunline Supernatural on the Catalina TW 7.3 with no issues whatsoever. It feels smooth, powerful, and connected. I haven't found it to be wild at all, rather smooth and nicely controlled...
Gary, is this based off the original Tatula TWS frame? Just trying to get a feel for the size. Thanks!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:07 am

reason162 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:57 am
Gary, is this based off the original Tatula TWS frame? Just trying to get a feel for the size. Thanks!
It feels smaller, a bit lower profile and more comfortable in my hands than the older Zillion TWS. Its practically the same as the current, newest Zillion HD. Here is a comparison photo - Catalina TW on left, Zillion HD on right.

www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap